Allow plastic ladders to directly replace other ladders

In the same way you can build one type of tile over another type of tile without first having to manually deconstruct the tile you are replacing, you should be able to do the same thing when replacing regular ladders with plastic ladders.

This can be extended to all other buildings, except base panels.

For exemple, it's a shame that we can't change the material of a radiant pipe without deconstruct it, or change it to an standard type, and then re-replace it with the type and material we really want. :(

10 hours ago, Gwido said:

This can be extended to all other buildings, except base panels.

For exemple, it's a shame that we can't change the material of a radiant pipe without deconstruct it, or change it to an standard type, and then re-replace it with the type and material we really want. :(

I like that idea, but one problem I can see with that is if I'm building a pipe or wire connecting to an existing pipe or wire. I may want the new pipe to be a different material from the existing pipe, but don't want to replace the existing pipe.

2 minutes ago, TV4Fun said:

I like that idea, but one problem I can see with that is if I'm building a pipe or wire connecting to an existing pipe or wire. I may want the new pipe to be a different material from the existing pipe, but don't want to replace the existing pipe.

Well, it's already the case when connecting normal pipe and a radiant/insulated one. And then, you just ahve to build the pipe without connecting, place the connection and cancel the replacement before a duplicant make it. ;)

It's not a real problem.

i would like to see this. i have noticed that tiles are the only thing you can replace one material for the other. you can replace different class of pipe and wire. With plastic ladders already being a separate class it should be easy enough to let them overwrite mineral ladders.

The reason why the current system works like it does is because normal ladders and plastic ladders are considered two totally different types of buildings, not one type of building built from two different material. Standard tiles can be directly replaced with standard tiles of a different material, or any other "tile" classified building, such as insulated, mesh, or airflow tiles. Standard/radiant/insulated pipes can be directly replaced with each other because they are classified as the same type of building.

Past those structures, ONI is very inconsistent with what can/cannot be directly replaced with other constructs, even ones of the same type. Pipes of all variants cannot be replaced by the exact same pipe of a different material (eg. granite pipe replaced with sandstone pipe). Wires cannot be replaced by different material wires, shipping rails cannot be replaced with different material rails, and plastic/standard ladders are two completely different structures for some stupid reason.

My hope is that Klei will clean up these inconsistencies once final release preparation phase starts.

11 hours ago, crypticorb said:

plastic/standard ladders are two completely different structures for some stupid reason

I remember when you couldn`t replace regular wires with heavi watt but it worked the other way around for some weird reason. Laddrs are one of the things they should adress in the "polishing" stage of development.

3 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

I remember when you couldn`t replace regular wires with heavi watt but it worked the other way around for some weird reason. Laddrs are one of the things they should adress in the "polishing" stage of development.

And, as I understand it, we are in the polishing phase now.  So this is a great time for this!

At first I didnt like the Pirate Style of graphics for the plastic ladder, now I like the wonky art style design. Always makes me think of the Pirates of the Carribean movies :p

BTW Pirate flags - The old user request of being able to post signs/flags and being able to write note text on them...So hoping for this. It would make the game more personal and it would be good to remember why the player built stuff and what its for. Name zoning, Zone naming...

Archived