Suggestions for my first time in space

Hi. (:

As the title says, it's the first time I'll do something in space and I do not know where to start.

Currently in my base I am on cycle 800+, I have enough food stored for just under 150 cycles (and I continue to produce), I have an excess of water, oil and energy (I use hydrogen, petroleum and some natural gas), all my base is connected with transit tubes and I have 16 dupes, of which 3 of them have already learned the profession of space cadet since all the other professions have already learned them. I also do not suffer from stress or problems in the immune system even though I play miserable and fatalistic.

Well, having said that, I would like to know if you have any recommendation to start building in space. I have many resources to build without problems but I do not know what to do first.

I do not know whether to start making a layer of bunkers, making the telescope or what to do.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

1. Cover your space roof (red limit) with 64 doors (32 tons Steel)

2. Create your station with a regolith protection (glass roof + automining). Add a sensor to 2 two bunker doors to open them manually.

3. You have many choices :

- Make a rocket

- Make solar panels with meteor scanner

- Make a space base

I made a liquidlock + atmo suits + a separate Transit tube exit into space For hold-your-breath builders.

You want to first secure surface from meteors, so dig a 2 high corridor, but make sure you have 1 tile between Corridor & regolith to avoid breaking the protective regolith layer.

There Will Be some gaps, then fill those with bunker tiles.

Need a separate system for telescope, of which There are many blueprints. Main thing is, your telescope must not stand on a conducting floor with regolith or a regolith tile or it will overheat.

First and foremost, produce as much Steel as you can.  Lime will be your bottleneck.  Hopefully you've been stockpiling Egg Shells from your Ranches, but you can also raid Fossil from the Oil Biome.  Both Egg Shell and Fossil can be crushed into Lime in the Rock Granulator.  Use some Kilns to make Refined Carbon, and use that, the Lime, and some Iron to make Steel in the Refinery.

The next step is to create a defense against incoming Meteors.  This will require Bunker Tiles or Bunker Doors to take the impacts.  If you intend to use Solar Panels at all, or launch Rockets (which are also made from Steel, by the way), you will need to construct a grid of Meteor Detectors and wire them together.  You will need at least 5, perhaps more depending on how you build around them.

In addition to defending against the Meteor impacts themselves, you will also need a solution for the Regolith that will be deposited by them.  It's basically Sand, but with a groovy name.  Except you probably have millions of tons of it laying around already by the time you reach the Surface.  Oh, and it's 300 C.  Some people use Radiant Pipes to melt it into Magma which then disperses into space, other people use Doors to crush it out of existence.  And still others create standing dig orders for specialized Dupes to clear out.  There's a lot of options here.

Ok, I'll start build the bunker layer. Wish me luck. :D

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.418bcb56f2a88bb440968c494d939143.png

15 hours ago, SamLogan said:

2. Create your station with a regolith protection (glass roof + automining). Add a sensor to 2 two bunker doors to open them manually.

How can I do the automining? I'm not very good with automatization, so a little bit of help would be great.

Thanks for the recommendations. 

5 minutes ago, Mr.Trueba said:

How can I do the automining? I'm not very good with automatization, so a little bit of help would be great.

The easiest way is to simply place build orders for the Oil Rig structure.  Dupes cannot complete the Build task unless it is placed over an Oil Reservoir, but will continue digging out the building blueprint anyway.

5 hours ago, PhailRaptor said:

The easiest way is to simply place build orders for the Oil Rig structure.  Dupes cannot complete the Build task unless it is placed over an Oil Reservoir, but will continue digging out the building blueprint anyway.

That´s a good tip. Thank you.

I´ll try with some doors to crush the regolith, but if I can´t do it I´ll try this method. :D 

My suggestion will be isolating rooms. Room can keep very cool as long as it doesn't touch regolith or hot stuff. Solar panel won't overheat if not touching anything.

If you put a battery in vacuum, it will slowly heat itself up and eventually overheat even melt, cuz it's vacuum.

Basically I'm talking about vacuum.

Also, you might want enough steel before opening that pandora door. For me, seeing surface biome getting destroyed broke my heart.

On 9/27/2018 at 3:49 AM, Carnis said:

I made a liquidlock + atmo suits + a separate Transit tube exit into space For hold-your-breath builders.

You want to first secure surface from meteors, so dig a 2 high corridor, but make sure you have 1 tile between Corridor & regolith to avoid breaking the protective regolith layer.

There Will Be some gaps, then fill those with bunker tiles.

Need a separate system for telescope, of which There are many blueprints. Main thing is, your telescope must not stand on a conducting floor with regolith or a regolith tile or it will overheat.

I'm not following the 2 high corridor with a tile between tip, I too have never been to space but am getting closer to having a base set up that could.

Can you clarify?

thanks

Well, either you can block The entire space biome with 25 600kg steel..

If you do not have that much, you can leave the space biome to block the meteors.

But since regolith deposits are essentially sand, If you dig a tile below regolith it falls down.

So you will want to leave a single tile of mafic rock, abyssalite or igneous rock intact below the mass of regolith. There Will Be some spots where steel bunker tiles are unavoidable.

Also over time the protective regolith will melt & you need to do repairs & add 1-3 bunker tiles every 5-7 cycles.

28 minutes ago, Carnis said:

Well, either you can block The entire space biome with 25 600kg steel..

If you do not have that much, you can leave the space biome to block the meteors.

But since regolith deposits are essentially sand, If you dig a tile below regolith it falls down.

So you will want to leave a single tile of mafic rock, abyssalite or igneous rock intact below the mass of regolith. There Will Be some spots where steel bunker tiles are unavoidable.

Also over time the protective regolith will melt & you need to do repairs & add 1-3 bunker tiles every 5-7 cycles.

okay that makes sense, so if you dig a two tile corridor underneath one of those three types of tiles the meteors will not destroy it?

4 minutes ago, Denisetwin said:

okay that makes sense, so if you dig a two tile corridor underneath one of those three types of tiles the meteors will not destroy it?

There Will Be a roof. Regolith meteors Will Stack More sand on your roof. Iron meteors Will destroy your roof. At random positions The roof will fail & you need to fix with bunkertiles.

Long term its best to block space, but initially you might not have 25,6tonnes of steel.

Thank you all for your answers, but for now I will stop playing because my game collapses every moment since I started building in space and I do not want to start a new world.
When the bugs are fixed, I will definitely do what you suggest. (:

Thank you all for your answers, but for now I will stop playing because my game collapses every moment since I started building in space and I do not want to start a new world.
When the bugs are fixed, I will definitely do what you suggest. (:

As i said in your other post, not the comet is the problem. I stop playing a 1373 cycle game because i wasted 50 cycle to clean a small corner of regolith (i did about 12000 tones just in one corner 15 tile) The problem is the insane quantity of regolith dropped by the dust comet. If you didn't started your wall of bunker tile in the beginning of the game (I started in a new game the wall at cycle 185 and finish at 295 and escape whit only 9200 tones of regolith under the wall) and rush your steel production, there are great chances that you already have by cycle 800 some between 300000 and 500000 tones of regolith.. that can slow down your game. I don't know if that is the reason of the crush. Now I am going for the 768 cycle and no crash and no visible slow down and walking and reacting of dupes in slow motion.

My advice.. do what i do. Rush steel production, and cover your top part of space as soon as possible, then melt and vacuum into space all the regolith in the space under the the regolith steel wall, then accept only what you can melt. I have several models of smelters in the regolith big problem post, and saturnus make his version, and now i am buiding and testing a new improved modular version of smelter for the regolith...

Archived