The Correct Method To Open A Cool Steam Vent (For COLD Water)

Hi, my goal was to output 26C friendly water. No woots, No nullifier. No ice, No external water/Pwater. Secondary goal was to cool down steam below 100C, so vent won't get blocked.

Title is a joke, obviously, there is no "correct" way. I tried to use carbon skimmer and water sieve to tame a cool steam vent, no new knowledge to many people in this forum. But hey, I did it.

I'll show my test and result.

5ba9fc2e343f3_ScreenShot2018-09-25at4_07_19AM.thumb.png.de1aabdb852823b4943a2c13720ba753.png

more details as spoiler

Spoiler

5ba9fc79504c8_ScreenShot2018-09-25at4_07_31AM.thumb.png.f208ac22ecd2ff85f293c12929284f0f.png

5ba9fc8af3df8_ScreenShot2018-09-25at4_08_10AM.thumb.png.81caf89e63d4a137de93e592fe7ffd15.png

5baa012874ee8_ScreenShot2018-09-25at4_07_57AM.thumb.png.c09ae6d8eb0d0dd8b68f46aab9057f6f.png

Two parts of gates.

1. I allow clean water to run thermo aquatuner if coolant is below 90C.
  2. I only allow aquatuner to run 2s every 5s so that water can merge into 10kg packet. 

Work flow as below

Spoiler

1. water pump send hot prime water to skimmer

2. output warm Pwater from skimmer cools down the metal tiles

3. hot Pwater goes into sieve

4. output warm water goes 2 ways depends on coolant temps. if coolant is too hot, water is used to cool down crude oil and sent to skimmer. Otherwise, it's sent to thermal aquatuner to generate 26C friendly water.

Talking about efficiency

Spoiler

I started with hot liquids, hotter than usual, and let the system cool itself down until it reached some equilibrium. Then I record some numbers for different period

Steam rate: 4.5kg/s

Power usage per cycle (600s): 175kJ (can vary depends on what's running and what's not)

Eruption Period:

• 546s
  • friendly water +550kg
  • CO2 -163.8kg
  • So for a cycle (600s) of eruption, it trades 180kg CO2 for 604kg water

Idle Period:

• 355s
  • friendly water +360kg
  • 106.6kg
  • For a cycle (600s) of idle, it trades 180kg CO2 for 608kg water

So it's safe to say, it trades 180kg CO2 for 600kg water each cycle

From efficiency statistics above, in each cycle

• 4kg friendly water per cycle per dupe who can exhale 1.2kg CO2/cycle
  • 45kg friendly water per cycle for 1 NG generator running full time which produces 13.5kg CO2/cycle
  • 2400kg per cycle for a price of 180kg CO2/cycle is possible in dormant period cuz no heat from geyser. My test was during active period. The number can go up further if you let aquatuner run full time freely, potentially it can produce up to 3t water at 26C per cycle.

I thought CO2 geyser was totally useless, I guess they are not lol.

I think, further improvement will be use CO2 to cool down liquid before getting cleaned. Gas reservoir can be used for pumping CO2 loop.

What I do is that I calculate precisely how much 40C water from a water sieve I need to cool the average temperature to 90C. This also kills the germs there might be in the water from the sieve as well. I send that through a liquid valve, and then I have another liquid valve that restricts the output to the sum of the cooling water and the geyser average output.

Since steam and water have the same SHC and we know the output steam is 110C then it's a simple matter to deduce the amount of 40C cooling water needed.

For example: If the geyser output is 1000g/s average then you need 400g/s 40C water to get an average temperature of 90C.

Note that since this shot is from a survival game there's some extra junk in there. It's only the 2 liquid valves that are interesting

image.thumb.png.2fd1413b7ac1300043cc1db8f402500d.png

10 minutes ago, goatt said:

@SaturnusYou missed the point of this post. It's about getting friendly water for, like bristle blossoms. Btw, why 90C? Is it a special number?

90C will definitely kill the germs no matter what, and 90C is precisely 5 runs through an aquatuner to get 20C. Or restrict the input on the aquatuner to 2000g/s And loop it back into the input of the aquatuner for the same 20C output temperature. To fed precisely 24 bristle blossoms which is the exact number you need for 16 dupes if the bristle blossoms are fertilized.

The title is a bit of a clickbait though, for reasons mentioned.

But I tend to use the least amount of cooling possible to condense the steam, and from there I pump it to my main tank (Which eventually gets pretty toasty) and then from there is is pumped to areas for use, if it needs to be cooled then it is cooled, if it doesn't then it is used as it.

The only downside to this build really is the use of CO2, I would rather have it use showers or something else as CO2 has its own uses.

17 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

90C will definitely kill the germs no matter what, and 90C is precisely 5 runs through an aquatuner to get 20C. Or restrict the input on the aquatuner to 2000g/s And loop it back into the input of the aquatuner for the same 20C output temperature.

Oh germs. Now I understand. Well I usually use freezing to kill germ. 30C germs is closer to 10C than to 90C. Btw, at 9.something temperature or below, germs die very fast. Using heat to kill germs usually ends up having some sealed rooms, I like my rooms to stay open. Cold environment works better for me.

And normally, germ didn't affect my game play, I ignored them most of the time, they hang out in my base all the time, at least i have to take advantage of 15% per cycle immune bonus right?

8 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

@BlueLance lol you got me. What other use does CO2 have? I know slicksters eat them, but in my opinion they don't produce a lot of byproduct.

I'm guessing this was done in debug or sandbox,   I don't see where your system pumps CO2 into that chamber.   So I'm going to assume that you have some means to be able to generate the CO2.  (geyser?)  

without co2 geyser or vent.    my current problem is generating enough co2.  I can barely feed a molten critter.

9 minutes ago, goatt said:

Oh germs. Now I understand. Well I usually use freezing to kill germ. 30C germs is closer to 10C than to 90C. Btw, at 9.something temperature or below, germs die very fast. Using to heat to kill germs usually ends up having some sealed rooms, I like my rooms to stay open. Cold environment works better for me.

Well that takes power too and/or map resources. The method I describe uses the least amount of power and resources possible to cool the geyser effectively, and kills germs at the same time. I'd normally use the output for oxygen though as I normally use heat exchanged slush geyser output for bristle blossoms.

Just now, RonEmpire said:

I'm guessing this was done in debug or sandbox,   I don't see where your system pumps CO2 into that chamber.   So I'm going to assume that you have some means to be able to generate the CO2.  (geyser?)  

without co2 geyser or vent.    my current problem is generating enough co2.  I can barely feed a molten critter.

lol, you are totally right. dupes produce so little CO2 but consumes so much O2. Are you feeding slicksters for food?

1 minute ago, goatt said:

lol, you are totally right. dupes produce so little CO2 but consumes so much O2. Are you feeding slicksters for food?

Normally you'd feed slicksters for oil to turn into power and water primarily, and with some free food as well.

15 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

The problem is that Co2 is usually in short supply unless you run stuff with the idea of getting it as a byproduct

Yeah, that's why I did calculation for per dupe per day for reference, as well as per NG generator.

@Saturnus I think your method relies on Pwater generator right?

16 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Normally you'd feed slicksters for oil to turn into power and water primarily, and with some free food as well.

I generally don't tame slicksters. They eat CO2 too fast, and they produce too little stuff. Do they produce meat when they die?

my current problem is generating enough co2

I have my generation of co2 in this way: Natural gas generators, coal generators, and dupes.. all goes to the slikster wo are wild.. so if i finish it .. they don't complain to much....

Total agree..I use wheezeworth in hydrogen atmosphere whit metal tile as foudation... and vacuum in the enclosed vent.. Never have any problem whit overpressure, and if you put enough wheeze they don't get stiff. Water is for oxygen or oil production only.. so i don't bother to cool it. 

11 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Well, yes, dupes primarily.

I c, I didn't say it explicitly, but I guess in my subconscious, I tried to avoid external Pwater in my design, it's one constraint I set for myself. I guess that's why I didn't include dupes pee in my calculation. Every method has cons and pros. This method's con is obvious, CO2 generation. But it's pro is it only relies on sand and CO2, no external resources needed. Other than that 26C output, you can easily find a 90C pipe, but that's off topic.

6 minutes ago, tzionut said:

Total agree..

You are the second person who caught that. I believe there are more who didn't speak out tho. How do you get large amount of coal? If Hatch, where do you get large amount of material food? Or it's just game never runs out of these resources?

How do you get large amount of coal? If Hatch, where do you get large amount of material food? Or it's just game never runs out of these resources?

1...Dig all the coal on the asteroid...check

2...Fed hatch all the clay in the asteroid...(if the clay finish make more in a room whit polluted dirt and deoderizer..use regolith as filtration medium) 

3...If you finish all the clay.. next is sandstone, then sedimentary.. then granite... you get the pictures :)

Bonus tip ... You can make refined coal by heating co2 :)... so no kiln needed for steel production

1 minute ago, tzionut said:

1...Dig all the coal on the asteroid...check

2...Fed hatch all the clay in the asteroid...(if the clay finish make more in a room whit polluted dirt and deoderizer..use regolith as filtration medium) 

3...If you finish all the clay.. next is sandstone, then sedimentary.. then granite... you get the pictures :)

Bonus tip ... You can make refined coal by heating co2 :)... so no kiln needed for steel production

space Morb farm.

2 hours ago, RonEmpire said:

a Petroleum generator provides all the CO2 needed for a slickster farm.

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 3:26 AM, goatt said:

no im only feeding it to the molten slickster for petroleum.  I mean cant get better than that. going CO2-> petroleum skipping the whole processing of crude oil.   getting meat and eggshells is a nice by product extra.

Just adding my two cents to the topic here but I almost never use cool steam vents as a primary water supply

I always use one steam vent for O2 production with electrolizers.  And the other steam vent is for oil production late game with an oil well.

All the water I use for bathrooms and bristle farms comes from PW produced by dupes, generators, and distillers.  

I'm lucky with my current map as I have 2 slush geysers

1 minute ago, psusi said:

Ahh, so you are using a CO2 geyser to produce cooling.  Neat.  Never seen one of those.

Actually I was a bit obsessed with how to output that water without using external Pwater, cuz external Pwater can be a limiting factor of output. But this way, the only limiting fact is itself (as well as CO2 now lmao)

Archived