Question about circuits

Does the total power draw affect the entire circuit, or does the wattage flow along a path?  For example, say I add an arcade cabinet to a circuit.  Now, whenever it is being used, my total draw is guaranteed to be >1Kw, which fries normal wires.  Would connecting it to my transformer via conductive wires be enough, or does every single wire on that circuit (regardless of where it is) need to now be upgraded to conductive to prevent overload damage?

2 hours ago, Lali-Lop said:

Would connecting it to my transformer via conductive wires be enough

If it it the only thing connected to the output of that transformer, you should be fine. I often plop down a transformer right before my aracade/aquatuner/metal refinery, and then use conductive wire to connect the output of that transformer to a battery and the machine. The input of this tranformer could be any 1kW spare line that has extra power not used all the time (provided it's protected earlier by a 1kW transformer with no batter on the consumer side). The battery slowly fills up when the item is not in use, providing sufficient power to keep the item running when I need it. See the thread below for a picture and more examples. 

1 hour ago, Azunai333 said:

Even better: You can also charge the main line with transformers. So you won't need the heavy watt wires with the joint plates anymore - because of this now you can have completly insulated machines:

Why so many transformers though, a big one can handle 4kW.

1 hour ago, Djoums said:

Why so many transformers though, a big one can handle 4kW.

It's just a wasteful build example. A perfect showcase on how not to handle your power circuits.

Sure, those heavy watt wires can be a bit of a pain but it let's you make a big power plant that can handle up to 20KW peak load (and many many more times that with careful use of local isolated switched battery supplies) all controlled by a single smart battery and just having as many transformers as needed.

22 hours ago, mathmanican said:

If it it the only thing connected to the output of that transformer, you should be fine. I often plop down a transformer right before my aracade/aquatuner/metal refinery, and then use conductive wire to connect the output of that transformer to a battery and the machine. The input of this tranformer could be any 1kW spare line that has extra power not used all the time (provided it's protected earlier by a 1kW transformer with no batter on the consumer side). The battery slowly fills up when the item is not in use, providing sufficient power to keep the item running when I need it. See the thread below for a picture and more examples. 

I never thought of that.  Excellent idea! :D

Sorry to derail..I hope I'm not. I had a question. I'm trying to make a poorman's smart-ish circuit. And the use of wire bridges is not something I consider often. And it occurred to me to ask.

Can a wire bridge be placed on the battery to create a trickle charger? If I had a hamster wheel wired to a large battery with an 80% threshold and then put a wire bridge on the battery to carry the charge out. Would it act like a trickle charger for the bridge? Or if the bridge was placed one tile before the main battery outlet(inlet)? Could I then wire several batteries in series/or sequence to then have all charge, once the big/main battery is full? Possibly using more bridges, and/or manual switches? For more series/sequences?

5 hours ago, Slvrsrfr said:

Can a wire bridge be placed on the battery to create a trickle charger? If I had a hamster wheel wired to a large battery with an 80% threshold and then put a wire bridge on the battery to carry the charge out. Would it act like a trickle charger for the bridge? Or if the bridge was placed one tile before the main battery outlet(inlet)? Could I then wire several batteries in series/or sequence to then have all charge, once the big/main battery is full? Possibly using more bridges, and/or manual switches? For more series/sequences?

Wires do not work like Pipes.  There is no direction of flow (except through a Transformer).  Either it's connected to Power, or it's not.

Archived