Should i use diamond to tame steam geyser?

My approach is to reduce steam temperature just enough (using Wheezewort in a separate hydrogen room) to condense water (usually to 80-90), and let electrolyzer or bathroom-seive use this extremely hot water to destroy heat and eventually get 40 degree water.

what does geysers have to do with diamond?

3 minutes ago, goatt said:

My approach is to reduce steam temperature just enough (using Wheezewort in a separate hydrogen room) to condense water (usually to 80-90), and let electrolyzer or bathroom-seive use this extremely hot water to destroy heat and eventually get 40 degree water.

what does geysers have to do with diamond?

I meant as materials for metal tiles and tempshift plates since they have higher conductivity than tungsten

Well, while they can not be made into metal tiles, diamond plates are indeed good for spreading the heat far and wide.

Ofc it is preferable to spread it there where it is needed or where hydrogen is being cooled by Wheezes, to the point where the cold reaches the geyser chamber and keeps it cool.

To cool the Steam from 110°C to 20°C, you merely need ~508kW to coal the Steam (avg ~1.35kg/s) from 110°C to 20°C, that's just ~42 Hydrogen Wheezes! I think, not quite sure where my calculation could be wrong (4.179J/g times 1350g/s times 90K temperature difference) but I have the awkward feeling it (albeit Steamwater having the highest SHC) is for one would need twice the amount of AETNs which exist.

Luckily one can import Wheezes anyway, though I dunno if one can get 50 of them and 50 Sleet per bay, not that I mind more Sleet.

I have a diamond temp-shift inverted-U from that water at the bottom to the 3rd tile of the geyser. I tried with other materials, but that did not really work. The water I cool with a dedicated ATEN. That reliably gives full water output.

Question: How did you remove the Neutronium under the geyser? Is does interfere with the temp-shift plates, so I would like to remove it as well. As it is now, I have one tile distance between the temp-shift plates and the Neutronium.

27 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

I have a diamond temp-shift inverted-U from that water at the bottom to the 3rd tile of the geyser. I tried with other materials, but that did not really work. The water I cool with a dedicated ATEN. That reliably gives full water output.

Question: How did you remove the Neutronium under the geyser? Is does interfere with the temp-shift plates, so I would like to remove it as well. As it is now, I have one tile distance between the temp-shift plates and the Neutronium.

I didn't remove it, it didn't have it cause the geyser spawned right on top of a point of interest

10 hours ago, Gurgel said:

I see. Thanks.

Pretty sure a rocket can remove it though if you really want rid of it ;) 

But yeah you need to have the wheezeworts outside cooling the gas, the onyl way you might be able to get away with it is if the steam is a low quantity and the room is a high but below 5kg room filled with hydrogen, otherwise the only way you can cool it really is like what others have suggested

My usual strategy is to place weezes in a chamber at the top filled with hydrogen metal tiles surrounding, while inside the steam chamber, I use tempshift plates.  I had an issue with this approach a while back, that 4 weezes weren't enough, so my current playthrough, I placed 6 and created a vacuum inside the chamber.   I was going to use the weeze chamber to condense the steam to liquid and cool the pool of water at the bottom with Polluted water from the bathrooms, which is in turn, heated up nicely for Pepper plants.

My current playthrough, however, this has turned out to be too effective, as the weezes have reached minimum temperature and my pool of liquid is at 25C, cooling the PW which arrives at 30C. 

The key difference is, I created a vacuum inside the chamber and filled it entirely with tempshift plates.   I'm guessing that had I left a horizontal gap about 4 tiles from the top, the water would not get cooled from the weezes.

Here's a picture for you.  I used Gold metal around the Weezes, filled with about 20kg of Hydrogen.  All tempshift plates are obsidian or Sedimentary.  The walls are Abysalite.  The Weezes are inactive, as they are at -61C.  There are some gold pipes at the bottom, but these aren't being used now.

5b99b6300af9c_SteamVent.thumb.jpg.6112631b273710130229b6f379438156.jpg

Edit:  I just realized why the water is at 25C, I had forgotten that about 100 turns ago, I had a vacuum and no tempshift plates, which failed to condense the steam, causing me to run out of water for my electrolyzers, so I placed about 40kg of ice in there to melt.

In any case, this setup works nicely, NORMALLY...

I just run the hot water through my dupes sinks, they are fine with it. See?
image.thumb.png.6d0b29399ac7c5cb71e65098a7d46dbc.png

in all seriousness send it to a co2 scrubber first, comes out 40c pwater, pipe that back through the steam geyser room with some radiant pipes before sending it to the sieve.

1 hour ago, Kabrute said:

In all seriousness send it to a co2 scrubber first, comes out 40c pwater, pipe that back through the steam geyser room with some radiant pipes before sending it to the sieve.

I did this for the first time. Nicely effective. Only issue for me was running out of easily accessible CO2 since I only had 7 dupes at the time and had too much extra hydrogen and thus wasn't burning coal or natural gas. 

7 hours ago, Craigjw said:

My usual strategy is to place weezes in a chamber at the top filled with hydrogen metal tiles surrounding, while inside the steam chamber, I use tempshift plates.  I had an issue with this approach a while back, that 4 weezes weren't enough, so my current playthrough, I placed 6 and created a vacuum inside the chamber.   I was going to use the weeze chamber to condense the steam to liquid and cool the pool of water at the bottom with Polluted water from the bathrooms, which is in turn, heated up nicely for Pepper plants.

My current playthrough, however, this has turned out to be too effective, as the weezes have reached minimum temperature and my pool of liquid is at 25C, cooling the PW which arrives at 30C. 

The key difference is, I created a vacuum inside the chamber and filled it entirely with tempshift plates.   I'm guessing that had I left a horizontal gap about 4 tiles from the top, the water would not get cooled from the weezes.

Here's a picture for you.  I used Gold metal around the Weezes, filled with about 20kg of Hydrogen.  All tempshift plates are obsidian or Sedimentary.  The walls are Abysalite.  The Weezes are inactive, as they are at -61C.  There are some gold pipes at the bottom, but these aren't being used now.

5b99b6300af9c_SteamVent.thumb.jpg.6112631b273710130229b6f379438156.jpg

Edit:  I just realized why the water is at 25C, I had forgotten that about 100 turns ago, I had a vacuum and no tempshift plates, which failed to condense the steam, causing me to run out of water for my electrolyzers, so I placed about 40kg of ice in there to melt.

In any case, this setup works nicely, NORMALLY...

You reckon something similar would work for cooling other liquids such as oil?

Archived