I got the steam engine working !

So the verdict is having 4 or 5 gas pipes @ 1000 celsius going to a little excavated chamber below the steam engine ? This will make the steam engine running ? :confused: I would like to run a steam engine with steam, not by heating up certain tiles...

So basically the pipe needs to be heated at the middle part, to prevent that the gas pump breaks ? A tricky solution. Would you suggest to have higher temperature resistant pumps or would that make the game too easy in your opinion ?

On 31/08/2018 at 8:12 PM, blash365 said:

A completely reasonable choice of components would allow me to place my turbine anywhere and transport all the needed elements for my process via the various means granted to the player (conveyor, piping, manual delivery) to that place.

So I assume that glass is a viable option then!

My build around a volcano is just about to erupt, so after that I can post my steam turbine build, it is NOT for 24/7 use as I have never needed a large amount of energy so for me to have it run permanently would be a waste, but I think it could be run if I stacked multiples generators instead of just one.

I am going to test my build with glass as well and see if it it works as well, I do not know how much heat it retains/wastes

6 hours ago, babba said:

So basically the pipe needs to be heated at the middle part, to prevent that the gas pump breaks ? A tricky solution. Would you suggest to have higher temperature resistant pumps or would that make the game too easy in your opinion ?

The problem is that when the steam comes out of the generator, its still too hot to pump using gas pumps.  So you have to cool it, slightly, THEN pump it, then heat it up again.  So the steam generator only works well when you're using tricks like door pumps and super-heated tiles.

it would be possible to move the heat to another location using creative duct work. creating a hotplate under the turbines  and feeding it pre heated water just to minimize conversion time. id still want to use obsidian but i would have metal at the water layer just for conduction rates obsidian is great for holding the heat not as good for transfer itself (still works but im using an iron volcano as a heat source.

would probably be more efficient then just  trying to heat it off location and pump it over as even with 5 lines of 900c steam efficiency isnt so great. i could even still use my current set up like that but the more things im heating the lower the thermal output of my forge. moving the steam creation section off site would help maintain thermal energy in the forge but only marginaly

9 minutes ago, heckubis said:

it would be possible to move the heat to another location using creative duct work. creating a hotplate under the turbines  and feeding it pre heated water just to minimalism conversion time. id still want to use obsidian but i would have metal at the water layer just for conduction rates obsidian is great for holding the heat not as good for transfer itself (still works but im using an iron volcano as a heat source.

would probably be more efficient then just  trying to heat it off location and pump it over as even with 5 lines of 900c steam efficiency isnt so great. i could even still use my current set up like that but the more things im heating the lower the thermal output of my forge. moving the steam creation section off site would help maintain thermal energy in the forge but only marginaly

Creating the steam is easy.  Creating it under the steam generator is easy.  The trick is to move the steam away from the top of the generator quickly so that the pressure differential allows the generator to continue to run.  I've done this using a chamber to the side that condenses the steam back into water, but then you have to flash the water back into 300c steam again which costs a LOT of heat energy.  Another method uses doors to pump the steam back underneath the generator. This improves efficiency, but many see it as either an "exploit" or a trick.  Either way, once the steam is under the generator, its temperature must be raised back up to at least 260c for the generator to function.  Thus another trick that is used is super hot tile touching the bottom of the turbine at some point.  This tile can be any material, and recently has been micrograms of chlorine over a thermally-isolated hot pool.  This fools the turbine into thinking that the steam is hot enough when it actually isn't.

So, running a steam generator "as intended" is incredibly difficult.  At best you'll get periodic activity, where the turbine spins up for a cycle or two before, literally, losing steam.  If you use certain tricks, then you can achieve 100% up-time and even use the process to create pure, clean water.  It all depends on where you draw the line for "that's an exploit; I won't do that."

** side note: We have no idea how the steam generator is intended to be used -- which is why it was in quotes above.  However it is clear that you can't power one from a cold steam geyser (not hot enough), nor a hot steam geyser (not enough steam), and you can't use gas pumps in the process because they break from the temperatures involved.

dont think 1 cool steam has enough volume as a source adding the heat is no problem. cool vents 110c so gold pump works without problem. if its in an abbyssalite vacuum  chamber it wont cool to water so all the steam is collectable and storable.

i use this to easily transport the steam to ice biomes with less hassle

12 minutes ago, heckubis said:

dont think 1 cool steam has enough volume as a source adding the heat is no problem. cool vents 110c so gold pump works without problem. if its in an abbyssalite vacuum  chamber it wont cool to water so all the steam is collectable and storable.

i use this to easily transport the steam to ice biomes with less hassle

Yeah, the volume is also an issue.  I've gotten the steam turbine to run off both a cold steam and a hot steam geyser, but it was far too much work in the process.  Not to mention that the turbine ran very inconsistently.  I had to block off all but one of the openings on the turbine just to get it to spin up using those sources.

What would help would be higher capacity ducts and pipes. like 5 -10 times the volume but actually being on the building layer would be an acceptable cost not to mention building materials. even at 3 times i could see us being able to force feed a system of turbines at some sustanable level but at the moment we can have a maximum of 12 lines fed to them being an unruly mess of pipe structuring. the yah the pressure problem along the chain .

mesh tiles make great vapor locks with the intermittent condensation of steam a drop of water will usually rest in the mesh blocking the steam in but letting the water out

Just a relative noob here, really didn't need the power, and had already decided just to seal off space so I got no meteor damage. Was just playing around, since my goal was to make 1000 cycles with no problem areas, which I will do for the first time. Since I had all this hot debris, I just built around it and poured in water, which isn't limited in this seed. It's run for over a hundred cycles, including a reload of water about 10 cycles ago. Nothing astounding, and slow spin up to reload the battery (set at 45% and probably should be higher), but it powers a couple of circuits, including a tube station without much problem. Easy to build in survival mode would be an understatement.

image.thumb.png.476431781e4548c2daefc70ed04698bc.png

Don't disagree, but this particular seed left me with trouble storing all the excess water (I've got one cool steam geyser I haven't even opened). I will start a new colony on Thurs, with RU, so why save water when I don't need it. Key word was "easy."

Archived