Picking up Radium from other planets and being able to use it for power

Edit: Gee look, another Nuclear reactor suggestion.

In the game, theres a material called ’Radium’, it says it is a power source but at the moment, there are no things that uses it. As it is unused and not findable in Vanilla.

Thats why I suggest a new Generator which uses Radium, it produces a great deal of power with relatively no waste, other than creating Wasted-Radium which slowly emits into some lethal gas with a new ’rad-bug’ bacteria which reproduces on Rocky/Metallic places, but stagnates on Dupes. It can be killed by really cold environment. It will harm immune system through breathing and consumption, but it will also slowly eat away ones immune system by having it on your skin without an exosuit. Anyways, I dont have to give too much details on this, just to simulate ’radiation’

Now, getting the Radium shouldnt be just to dig it up from the bottom of the map, I think there should be a planet which you can access with a rocketship, that brings back some Radium, dirt and perhaps Bluff briars to make that reneweable.

The important thing here is to make sure that the Petroleum used to send away the Spaceship to bring Radium is more power efficient than just burning the Petroleum right away. 

But in real life I’ve heard that it actually is much smarter in terms of efficiency to split Uranium to create heat, which powers turbines, than using the material directly for power, so maybe we can rename Radium to some fictional material which provides sufficient power just by doing that. 

Radium is a good idea for someting from space. I`d prefer to have some on out own asteroid but i wouldn`t be mad if we got it from outside.

But the real question is: Do we need more power?

We got the moos for extra NG and some people already question if we actually need more power sources. Nuclear power is great and all but is it worth the investment if we don`t have enough power consumers?

6 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

Radium is a good idea for someting from space. I`d prefer to have some on out own asteroid but i wouldn`t be mad if we got it from outside.

But the real question is: Do we need more power?

We got the moos for extra NG and some people already question if we actually need more power sources. Nuclear power is great and all but is it worth the investment if we don`t have enough power consumers?

True, true. Aquatuners, Arcade machines aren't too significant, but I get your point. But we've kind of been stuck with Natural Gas Generators for I don't know how long as Steam Turbines are an annoying gimmick.

I guess with no more Oil-cooking to Natural gas we can only boil the Oil to Petroleum, so we got to use Petroleum generators instead.

13 minutes ago, Alfons100 said:

I guess with no more Oil-cooking to Natural gas we can only boil the Oil to Petroleum, so we got to use Petroleum generators instead.

Now with rockets we got a petrolium sink that we can use to get more NG from gassy moos. Actually maybe a nuclear engine would work for rockets. Add a nuclear reactor to the rocket and an ion engine and we got a way more efficient spaceship.

I'll  point out that this game use tech tree, and its normal for players to end up just using the high tier stuff. maybe fossil fuel need to spread out in the research tree, instead of all of it being unlocked in one go pretty early too, to give a sense of progression. or just do as this thread suggest and add one more high tier consumable-material generator. 

I agree that this game provide more energy (if used) than we ever need., space\logistic does not seem to be an issue either. I do think we have enough generators. I would prefer it if they focus on making the renewable energy generators more attractive to use and leave the all-kind-of-generators ideas to the modding community, since the power generating system feel more than complete to me. 

Radiation and it relation to Immunity system does sound like an interesting mechanics. specially with the rockets and outer-space stuff.

1 hour ago, NGMZero said:

I would prefer it if they focus on making the renewable energy generators more attractive to use and leave the all-kind-of-generators ideas to the modding community, since the power generating system feel more than complete to me. 

That said, a traditional nuclear generator setup would be a nice way to be able to move steam generators away from fixed POIs.

They need to add element which decaying into another (waste)element and produce heat, and we will build nuclear power plant of it. As simple as that, maybe with some "catalyst" to increase rate of reaction to control speed of decaying, or temperature can be such catalyst - increasing temperature increasing decay rate and pump itself like chain reaction, so need to evacuate heat from system or it all thermally explode.

We already have steam turbine, just need alternative ways to produce steam for it.

13 minutes ago, Yunru said:

Funny I was gonna say exactly the same thing to you, sans the not.

They don't "need" to do anything like that, much less because you say so.

Haha we are in suggestions section of forum, here normal behavior suggest something new for game, but need arguments why suggested feature shouldn't suppose to be added.

But anyway this is not much important thing, with mod support it can be added. There is point asking new or improving existing game mechanics since it cant be easily tweak or be implemented with mods.

1 hour ago, D.L.S. said:

Haha we are in suggestions section of forum, here normal behavior suggest something new for game, but need arguments why suggested feature shouldn't suppose to be added.

But anyway this is not much important thing, with mod support it can be added. There is point asking new or improving existing game mechanics since it cant be easily tweak or be implemented with mods.

"Need" suggests that it's a significant problem if it isn't done, not "it would be cool if it was done".

3 hours ago, Coolthulhu said:

significant problem if it isn't done

It's too broad and too subjective, for someone problem, for others not at all, if person create new thread on forum asking for some feature, it could mean that feature really important for this person.

I think that the more things will be added the better, if i dont need it i just wont use it, i dont use some devices for my colony and dont plan use them, but let they be maybe one day i will need it. This game is great example that you can play without using many devices and game mechanics, some features like steel in gas state - we cant use it so far only in sandbox or with debug menu, but it still in game, could be useful in future. This ability play game your own way is valuable, but it require a lot of content and balance.

On 8/31/2018 at 9:56 AM, Pat4yczek said:

Just add a nuclear boiler which from water make steam to use in steam turbine

IMHO, the nuclear boiler should not just boil water. As i see it, the device should be a POWERFUL heat source, that can warm up anything (kind of antipodal to the neutronium cooler). A block with pipe in\outs. Maybe some unique bridges, that support boiling in them (a liquid pipe with a gas outlet) and gas pipes with liquid outlets. The heat production rate could be regulated by refined carbon rods. The device could be made of heat-proof steel (steel + wolfram) and use liquid metals to transfer the heat.
If it overarms (the control-rods melt) the will be a HUUUUUUDGE explosion. A radioactive explosion. Making the ore in the radius unsaleable and contaminating the geysers for a long time and killing everything in the radius (including plants and seeds). Not lore, but it will make sure, that no one will use nuclear reactor explosions for quick digging.

Actually now that we have rockets i think we should require some sort of element form space to upgrade them or to fuel more advanced ones. It`s end game tech already. If there are more advanced engines then why not jump straight to those instead of using basic petrolium ones. But if it needs an element from the stars it becomes way more interesting.

No, what you want is a 'Reactor core' which produces steam (possibly radioactive?) which would be usable for powering the turbine the way it was meant to be used.

Waste product of Radium consumption can be Xenon gas, itself a propellant in new Ion-engine for spaceship. Ion engines are very efficient so a small mass of gas is needed making it attractive to use.  It may also allow reaching more distant targets thus giving a reason to upgrade rockets over time.

Honestly, if they're going to add nuclear power, I would rather not see a dedicated reactor building. I think it would be better if you just had the reactor core which used nuclear fuel to generate large amounts of heat, radiation, and other byproducts and then you had to figure out how to harness that heat (and to get the fuel in safely, of course). Honestly, I don't think a nuclear reactor makes sense in the context of ONI since you're trapped on an asteroid and a nuclear reactor runs the risk of destroying your colony and killing everyone, which makes little sense when you have plenty of other power options.

11 hours ago, OxygenParadox said:

Honestly, I don't think a nuclear reactor makes sense in the context of ONI since you're trapped on an asteroid and a nuclear reactor runs the risk of destroying your colony and killing everyone, which makes little sense when you have plenty of other power options.

Well lets see other options: coal, petrol, natural gas, hydrogen generators - all required oxygen to work, game dont use oxygen for generators but if we think logically, all this generators is bad idea in case you in limited oxygen environment(when you spending power to produce oxygen), its like run diesel engines on submarine while underwater - you'll get really big problems(and fast) for small profit. So in this case, if we consider this asteroid as huge submarine or space station, nuclear power or solar panels is the best options. We should understand that we burning hydrocarbons in game only because devs sacrificed realistic fact that generators(and combustion of fuels in general) require lot of oxygen to work.

Archived