Meteor Scanner, how to protect?

21 minutes ago, SchlauFuchs said:

If nothing is supposed to block the space above the scanner, how can one protect it from meteors?

The scanner has efficiency based on if it`s blocked or not. The more efficiency the earlier the warning. If it has 0% efficiency the warning is 1s before the meteors hit. This means that if you block it with a closed bunker door it will still detect them incoming so the doors won`t open until the rain is over. Opened doors don`t block the scanner so you can use them no problem.

Just make sure the scanner is not too close to the pannels since machinery reduces it efficency as well. And keep cleaning the regolith so it won`t entomb the scanner.

so that I get it right, the scanners keep the signal up when they detected meteors, even if the doors above them are closed due to their signal? Okay... Then what is the suggested distance to the doors above them to avoid efficiency drop? Can I put solar cells between the doors and the scanners?

1 hour ago, SchlauFuchs said:

so that I get it right, the scanners keep the signal up when they detected meteors, even if the doors above them are closed due to their signal? Okay... Then what is the suggested distance to the doors above them to avoid efficiency drop? Can I put solar cells between the doors and the scanners?

This is great guide for detector placement.

1 minute ago, SchlauFuchs said:

Yes, I checked that, but it is not quite up to date anymore - and I did not see a hint about door to scanner distance

AFIK doors are not considered machinery.

I would suggest: Door, 4+ tiles, glass, detector, some gap, solar.

4 minutes ago, SchlauFuchs said:

detector behind glass is no problem? And could you please be more specific on "some gap"?

Detector needs just light in it´s detect cone, see the metheorology page.

Can't acces game right now, so "some gap" is all I can get.

2 minutes ago, FutureJohny said:

The 4+ gap is buffer for the regolith when door open. As for digging it out, make that area unreachable to any builders and place priority 9 build orders in the area. Gas bridges are chepaest per tile.

You know some mojo that I don't. what again is the purpose of the build orders? auto-mining? but not actually building? 

1 hour ago, SchlauFuchs said:

And what do I do with the sh*tload of regolith I have on the doors every cycle?

Here's the solution :

When the regolith go on the meteor scanner, you just have to open the small door under it. You can also crush the regolith by open/close doors in the under stage.

Here's a schema :

parabole.thumb.png.2b9b2c7fee08dab7e71785419eef9011.png

Now that looks promising. Are there still heat problems I need to care about or did they fix it? Last time I made it to space my bunker doors got fried regularly, and the solar generators even more so. And that was before Lime became a bottleneck. Lime is now my second problem after having to fight a lack of dirt for my farms.

19 minutes ago, SchlauFuchs said:

Are there still heat problems I need to care about or did they fix it?

Solar panels don`t oveheat unless hot regolith touches them if that`s what you mean. I never had my bunker doors overheat.

11 hours ago, SchlauFuchs said:

The scanner quality only affects how many seconds you have prior to the meteor shower. The amount of seconds they will switch their signal is randomly chosen between 1 and 90 (?) seconds. The scanner quality only alters the lower bound. So even a 0% scanner can warn you waaaaay ahead of time allowing you to close your gates. Assuming that powered bunker doors take ~36 seconds to close a scannerquality around 30% should already provide you significant coverage from showers - if not guaranteed. But even below that quality, you will already get a fair warning in quite a few cases.

In any case, as soon as the signal has been set, it keeps on being active until the meteor season is over. From that point on the scanners will again allow you to open your bunker doors. You dont need to worry about scanner quality when the bunker doors are already closed.

How another said. U don't need 100% efficiency. 30% is more than enough time to react and close the doors. 30 seconds or more.

I build something like this:

20180731040510_1.thumb.jpg.17370769f8f202f9b9f0eea25417de6c.jpg

If no meteors are sighted, the bunker doors open and the normal doors at the bottom open for 20 seconds, close for 2 seconds and repeat. So u can destroy the debris automatically. 

20180813125838_1.thumb.jpg.dd4825d967c5ff3202a6ce655826def7.jpg

20180813124832_1.thumb.jpg.733335ce8169eeb748264dc065337977.jpg

Same thing with the scanners. I have on the whole map 6 piece. Enough! If one of the 6 scanner detects a meteorite, the signal goes to ALL stations and close the doors.

20180813125720_1.thumb.jpg.6b2e958032416e0ebc68c0cc908594e5.jpg

The idea to use the doors to destroy the debris is not from me, but I use it. Runs good.

It interests me how you gain all the steel for the provided screenshots. I was at cycle 450 and had just 4t Steel when I broke through, A profound lack of lime was keeping me back, and i could not focus on it as I also had a profound lack of dirt, causing my farming to collapse.

3 hours ago, SchlauFuchs said:

It interests me how you gain all the steel for the provided screenshots. I was at cycle 450 and had just 4t Steel when I broke through, A profound lack of lime was keeping me back, and i could not focus on it as I also had a profound lack of dirt, causing my farming to collapse.

I'd suggest using iron from meteors for steal production instead of your iron ore resources (since those are not renewable).

For lime, you might want to create an efficient pacu farm.

Feeding Pacus with Algae is so expensive, renewing algae is on cost of slime, which is not at all renewable. I have not found yet a closed circuit that doesn;t run out of dirt/algae. I am a bit closer to sort the dirt problem if there is a geyser with polluted water around, but algae is definitely a finite resource :(

Archived