Slime & algae

So, I've finally managed to make a puft farm and they aren't dying!!!

I'm collecting the algae and Oxylite with a sweeper and storing it under water, the slime ready for the algae distiller.  The next step in this, is to breed some squeeky pufts and produce some bleach stone from my excess chlorine gas, but that's for later.

I'm also producing more than enough O2 with my electrolyzers.  Which leads me to the question, what use does algae have if my O2 requirements are already satisfactory?

Feeding pacu, algae deoxydizers or terrariums in newly built tunnels that need air but don't have the infrastructure in place yet, and making polluted water (from the slime distillers).

Other than that, not much.  Mind you if you want a fully fed and growing pacu population, you'll need a LOT of algae (or you can grow your population and then just let them starve which maintains but doesn't increase their numbers).

15 hours ago, Yoma_Nosme said:

Cook some slime to dirt! You'll need it if you want to sustain fertilizer production.

It's inefficient to cook slime.

Just filter pwater through regolith - that's not only a great source of dirt, but also a massive heat sink. You may have problems polluting enough water, but it's still more efficient than cooking slime.

On 8/5/2018 at 5:55 PM, Coolthulhu said:

It's inefficient to cook slime.

Just filter pwater through regolith - that's not only a great source of dirt, but also a massive heat sink. You may have problems polluting enough water, but it's still more efficient than cooking slime.

Oh good, so you can use regolith instead of sand?  I was worried because even though clay is classified under "cultivatable soil", you can't use it instead of dirt to fertilize plants.

2 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

It`s useable for farm tiles and algae terrariums that`s why it`s classified like this.

Yea but who cares about what they are made of; that's a one time cost.  It's the continuous use of dirt that consumes it all.

On 8/7/2018 at 2:55 AM, psusi said:

Oh good, so you can use regolith instead of sand?  I was worried because even though clay is classified under "cultivatable soil", you can't use it instead of dirt to fertilize plants.

Water sieve doesn't produce clay.

11 hours ago, Coolthulhu said:

Water sieve doesn't produce clay.

I never said it did.  What I said was that even though clay is classified as cultivatable soil, it in fact, can not be used instead of dirt to fertilize plants.  I assumed the same was true with regolith being classified as "filtration medium" but machines still requiring sand specifically.

On 8/8/2018 at 9:53 AM, psusi said:

I never said it did.  What I said was that even though clay is classified as cultivatable soil, it in fact, can not be used instead of dirt to fertilize plants.  I assumed the same was true with regolith being classified as "filtration medium" but machines still requiring sand specifically.

Not to derail too far, but I believe the reason clay is classified as a cultivatable soil is because you can plant IN it. I mean that literally, as you can build the farm tiles with it instead of dirt. It doesn't actually mention being an alternative for dirt's other uses.

Archived