Sanity Mechanic: Improvement suggestion

I have been reading the forum and saw how some people were complaining about how the sanity meter didn´t bring a new challege to the game, even when the system is fun itself, you choose if you get insane or not. For me, this is wrong, sanity needs to be something you should worry a lot too.But how, you ask? My suggestion is: make your sanity drops everytime, like the fatigue. And the hats that make your your sanity grown? Make they have durability and they will make your sanity drops slower than normal. Not only that, but more stuff should make your sanity drops even more, things that would only happen after day 10, like the hounds. This would make things easier at the beggining, but after day 10 the world would drive you crazy, and you would need to struggle for the survivor....of your mind.Post here your thoughts and comments and feel free to give more ideas to improve the sanity mechanic.

I do like the idea of dapper clothing only slowing down the insanity. As it is now a top hat means it's highly unlikely you will ever go insane without wanting to.The top hat or dapper vest are permanent, but I don't want permanent solutions to insanity. It should be like hunger, where it's manageable but you have to be concerned with it.Consumable items like candy or bedrolls could restore sanity if you set your resources up to do so. But thinking about it, aside from some extra resources and enemies that makes the only real difference between sanity and hunger that sanity isn't necessarily fatal. I don't think I want the sanity mechanic to be quite like that.But the idea that certain things REALLY lower your sanity. Like by 20 or 30. So that your sanity can be really hacked apart appeals to me. So Sanity can be lowered more like Health than Hunger.

maybe overtime your clothes could get dusty and you will look less and less dapper and you have to wash your clothes in some way.This would require you to find a water source , but the sea water is protected by a Kraken , so you need to find squid reppelent that will distract him while you dive in for water , you come out and you have to boil (cook) the water until it is fresh , you can use this to wash your clothes , but when it runs out of durability (which it does in 1 days time) it turns into cold water , which fills a tiny bit of health and gives you some sanity (sinse drinking is an everyday thing in a humans life)The water could also be used to make different juices (like berry juice , carrot juice , Mandrake Tea ETC.) that does an effect , but instead of hunger , it heals health instead and also gives some sanity. Though WX-78 would not be able to drink this (sinse he will short out , meaning that he would probably combust instantly)I kind of lead the topic off , but the main feature I was trying to say is that you should have to wash your clothes or else it negates its effects...What dwells under the ocean , Only me and maxwelll know...

There are ponds already, you could wash your clothes there/get water to wash your clothes there. With the added benefit that ponds are in marshes, so that's dangerous.I agree that there should be something that pulls your sanity down after a while. What exactly, I don't know, but it is pretty easy to keep your sanity over 80, even without a base. And I'm not even hardcore! The only time I've been negatively affected by sanity was one time when, while cutting down trees next to my camp, two treeguards woke up, and running away from them, I stumbled on a spider queen. I died, got resurrected by a meat effigy right next to my camp, with the boss mobs still wandering around. Even then, some quick taffy solved the issue pretty easily before it went further downhill.On the other hand, making top hats/dapper vests have limited durability seems like a bad idea. They are pretty expensive, and they already have the penalty of not being able to wear something more useful instead (backpack, beefalo hat, log suit, etc.). Making them washable seems like a nice middle ground.

But the idea that certain things REALLY lower your sanity. Like by 20 or 30. So that your sanity can be really hacked apart appeals to me. So Sanity can be lowered more like Health than Hunger.

I like this idea the most, and I think the idea of making it so you have to maintain your clothing is kind of mundane, even if realistic.

maybe overtime your clothes could get dusty and you will look less and less dapper and you have to wash your clothes in some way.This would require you to find a water source , but the sea water is protected by a Kraken , so you need to find squid reppelent that will distract him while you dive in for water , you come out and you have to boil (cook) the water until it is fresh , you can use this to wash your clothes , but when it runs out of durability (which it does in 1 days time) it turns into cold water , which fills a tiny bit of health and gives you some sanity (sinse drinking is an everyday thing in a humans life)The water could also be used to make different juices (like berry juice , carrot juice , Mandrake Tea ETC.) that does an effect , but instead of hunger , it heals health instead and also gives some sanity. Though WX-78 would not be able to drink this (sinse he will short out , meaning that he would probably combust instantly)I kind of lead the topic off , but the main feature I was trying to say is that you should have to wash your clothes or else it negates its effects...What dwells under the ocean , Only me and maxwelll know...

Maybe, a washing machine could be added to the game. I just hope that insanity becomes more of an issue by next Tuesday. Also, I hope the developers let the upcoming Winter update stand, without throwing a giant Nerf ball at it the next day.

Maybe, a washing machine could be added to the game. I just hope that insanity becomes more of an issue by next Tuesday. Also, I hope the developers let the upcoming Winter update stand, without throwing a giant Nerf ball at it the next day.

A washing machine? I don't think a washing MACHINE would fit into this games style , but maybe a washing board and a bucket of water for washing your clothes in , maybe , The game is set in the 1920's-ish , discovered when wolfgnag wore the old swimsuit as his main clothing. But , we'll see , this game has suprised me with lots of things that I would never of expected to be added.Its just Maxwell's and The Devs Creative minds that makes this game so much more intriguing