Drecko's keep escaping ranch

1 minute ago, Craigjw said:

How do I stop my drecko's escaping the ranch, they just keep walking out the door.

Which version are you on? My Dreckos were always fine in CU, and I haven't had a chance to play with them yet in EU.  Perhaps a screenshot of the ranch might help, too.

Just now, WanderingKid said:

Perhaps, but are you starving the dreckos to death?  You need 14 mealwood to feed the 4 glossy and 1 shaggy.

Starving critter alerts come and go, but they usually don't starve for very long (0.5-1 cycle on average maybe) and I've never had one die.

I'm open for suggestions on a better drecko ranch though :)

Looks very nice but that's stepping up the design quite a bit, lots of windows + irrigation in here :p

Is your rancher efficient ? The dreckos take a long time to reach the grooming/shearing station and they have a long way to go in your setup.

1 hour ago, Djoums said:

Is your rancher efficient ? The dreckos take a long time to reach the grooming/shearing station and they have a long way to go in your setup.

There are 4 points between the ceiling and floor where the Dreckos can leap across, not counting the walls on either end.  Both sides of both the Shearing Station and Grooming Station allow jumping back and forth.

1 hour ago, Le0n1des said:

Would the same ratio of 24 plants for 8 glossies work with mealwood?

yes but bristles would be better long term to save on dirt

3 hours ago, Djoums said:

1 hour ago, PhailRaptor said:

There are 4 points between the ceiling and floor where the Dreckos can leap across, not counting the walls on either end.  Both sides of both the Shearing Station and Grooming Station allow jumping back and forth.

Bingo!

5b4e8811aa45e_glossdrecko2b.thumb.png.c5b880c98c960ce3b75126b3d9579065.png

3 hours ago, Djoums said:

Looks very nice but that's stepping up the design quite a bit, lots of windows + irrigation in here :p

Considering you need to breed 8 glossies (using mealwood) you have plenty of time to make glass

In the long run I find it easier to supply 800g/s cool water for irrigation than 400g/s dirt, 

Also using extra dupe time to deliver dirt or needing to set up additional rails to supply the dirt is more of a hassle than simply using pipes

13 hours ago, WanderingKid said:

Perhaps, but are you starving the dreckos to death?  You need 14 mealwood to feed the 4 glossy and 1 shaggy.

You only need 3 plants per drecko if you don't want to see the alert popping up. Otherwise you can get away with 2. the starve timer resets each time they begin to starve

4 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

You only need 3 plants per drecko if you don't want to see the alert popping up. Otherwise you can get away with 2. the starve timer resets each time they begin to starve

Oh, wow.  That's not how I expected that mechanic to work.  Ranch on, dude, ranch on.

14 hours ago, Neotuck said:

try this, have 8 glossy never starve, over half of the stable is covered in H2 for scale growth 

5b4e44b071666_glossdrecko4.thumb.png.077c4bb56604e4014e4905afe7090337.png

I'm thinking about trying your design, but I'm not sure how to setup the gas in here. Probably put the oxygen first considering all the gaps that need to be filled for the plants, but what pressure do you aim for before adding the hydrogen ? It looks like a fine tuned process.

1 hour ago, Djoums said:

I'm thinking about trying your design, but I'm not sure how to setup the gas in here. Probably put the oxygen first considering all the gaps that need to be filled for the plants, but what pressure do you aim for before adding the hydrogen ? It looks like a fine tuned process.

While I made this one in debug mode here's the steps to make it

start with the water lock on the right with exosuit docks and maintain a vacuum while digging/building the sable.  Or use a gas pump to pump out the air when you finish

DO NOT PLACE THE GLASS WINDOW TILES YET!  you need to leave the room space so the O2 and H2 can settle

the room is 96 total:

2 tiles water

24 tiles O2 5kg

69 tiles H2 5kg (plus 3 more for the ceiling lamps

build 2 separate rooms for gas storage and using a high pressure gas vent with an atmosphere sensor set to 5kg 

Build the O2 room 24 tiles

Build the H2 room 72 tiles

once they are full pump them both into the stable with a high pressure vent

let the gas settle and build the glass window tiles, careful not to delete gas as you build

plant bristles (wait a cycle so they can grow) and drop off 8 glossy dreckos

done!

13 minutes ago, Djoums said:

Thanks for your detailed answer (although I think it's 25 O2 because of the bottom right tile just above the water).

What's the reason to aim for 5Kg instead of 2 ?

Your right it's 25 tiles of O2

You can do 2kg instead of 5kg, just don't do over 10 or less than 1

Here's my design for balm lily-drecko farm(although you can use it with mealwood as well, not sure about the bristles though, as they need additional light which must be squeezed in.

As for escapees, a water lock helps - test it in debug mode first - i spent quite a lot of time figuring how to make a lock that actually stops them and doesn't break with dupes running through it(seems water has become more "watery" and less "gooey" .. that lower viscosity sure feels more real.

Also studying their reach is nice - they can hop over 1 tile, but if you have drecko, water, 1 tile higher than water - dreckos can't jump over and climb in the same time

o     (moo)                     o
o ~     o       o       ~       o
o ~     o       o       ~       o
legend:
o => tile

~ => water
(moo) => happy drecko that has 2 tiles place to crawl

If you put that water on both sides you can actually trap Dreckos only on the ground or only on the ceiling. Howeve, note that they can't eat from the ceiling, so you can't keep them in Hydrogen all the time and feed them from below - they have to be next to the plant.

My thought process was that making more than 1 water lock was a waste of space, though, so I plan to make just 1 for the entrance and let them crawl, making a "radiator" on the top part where the Hydrogen is so they crawl there more than next to the plants.

BTW here it is half way built. I had a few pockets of chlorine above the building spot so i just popped them and let the chlorine and hydrogen settle, now I'll probably get a pump on top and pump in all the hydrogen inside. Later if Needed I'll add some more from my SPOM, but I'm too lazy to make pipes now :D Also notice the volcano heating the water to ~ 80³ ... that's used to heat the farm chamber, currently at around 50°, so Balm lilies can boil in their own skin - just as they like it. That chlorine might have been a bad idea as a first gas to have, but I don't care much - I can just destroy the tiles and rebuild them once it's settled. Each tile is reachable by a dupe so it shouldn't be much of a problem. Don't mind the 2 batteries and spaghetti of cables - I'm cheap on electricity and using switching batteries for cheaper cables :p  I think they fixed the Power transformer, so if I update I might need to make more power transformers, as the old version had 5x1kW, the updated has only 1kW :(

image.thumb.png.4070ffbb06fdab910cd9359d8ca56d23.png

Archived