Show me your stable !

11 hours ago, Alex_D said:

As @martosss mentioned, the entire slime storage, conveyor loader and receptacles are submerged enough so they don't off-gas. As per transporting, the slime won't off-gas if the conveyor belt is always inside solid tiles. If there is the need to go across tiles, use a conveyor bridge.

I build my slime-mushrooms farms, vertically as shown, or as well horizontally, with a tile down for the receptacle. Prior to activating the farm, I have a liquid vent releasing water from obsidian pipes that run along the farm tiles. I re-use the pipe to keep the farm tiles from becoming too hot.

If you put a few ore scrubbers before the slime delivery, they can be sterilized when the slime is deposited into the storage containers. However, I don't worry at all about germ pollution in that slime or in the water (e.g. food poisoning), as when the mushrooms are fried the germs are killed.

Thanks, putting the receptacle submerged... of course. I ve been using that trick for all sorts of stuff, but couldnt connect the dots here lol.

Here you can see what I mean with my mush farm:

tq3CbRw.jpg

So I will rebuild the area with that trick in mind. Cheers!

@martosss: my problem was very specific: prevent the receptacle belt connection from offgasing. But I like your killing it with cold suggestion. I keep that one in mind.

Thanks both to you!

14 hours ago, martosss said:

@Xarian All this is true if you don't use feeding glitches(feed them 1kg of food => they're happy OR keep them starved and reload => they are 100% starved again) ....

Don't you still need a source of polluted oxygen for pufts?

And you're missing the point that pacus can be farmed for meat - keep them hungry and let them lay eggs and die(cruel, isn't it?).

I'd say Balm lilies + Dreckos are your free renewable resource .. from there you get fiber + eggs/meat.

Now that I'm thinking about it, you could make a huge farm and put a lot of dreckos in one place, just don't care about the ranching room bonus, as long as you keep them groomed for eggs and they don't starve you're good to go. That basically means

PO2 comes from Morbs, which while they cannot be ranched, can be generated using a turd factory (a full outhouse with a door under it).

On 7/25/2018 at 12:10 PM, erikac14 said:

My stone hatches setup

They all eat igneous rock. The top loader is for stone hatchling eggs. Some of them will be sent to a infinite loop to incubate and the others will be sent to food storage area and become raw eggs. The middle loader is sending meat and other type of eggs to food storage area too.

Oxygen Not Included Screenshot 2018.07.25 - 03.01.53.70.png

It was my understanding that there was a recent patch note that mentioned that eggs that goes through rail bridges will stop incubating. How does your incubation infinite loop work, exactly?

14 hours ago, Capsup said:

It was my understanding that there was a recent patch note that mentioned that eggs that goes through rail bridges will stop incubating. How does your incubation infinite loop work, exactly?

You can see that he sends them to the right, there is a room with babies and the conveyor has a lot of eggs, so he probably stores them there until they hatch/become omelettes. But for incubating the eggs I think you'll need to micro them, i.e. get them out of the container/rail so they can hatch?

21 hours ago, Capsup said:

Because I used it before update :p

Also I notice +5 BBQ gives more morale than +2 Omelet. I may give up omelets and change to BBQ.

Now I need to work on new system. I will edit my post.

On 7/19/2018 at 8:53 AM, Alex_D said:

Here's my puff-drecko-mushroom farm combo. The puff farm supply (some) of the slime for the mush farm. I pressurized the mush and drecko farm and use a water lock to keep the gases from moving too much. Lots of automation to dispense slime, dirt, and taking away the phosphorite, eggs, plastic, and mushrooms away. The dupes only go in to operate the few machines in the drecko farm.

Hide contents

5b503507b4319__dreckomushandpufffarm.thumb.jpg.4dffcf93dc1ae500c502c75f20d11d22.jpg

I liked this farm for its automation idea. However, Alex is using 1 sweeper + loader/ 8 shrooms and a lot of ladders inside. That led me to come up with an automation solution for mushrooms that uses less space. The above farm uses 190tiles/24 mushrooms ~8 tiles/shroom.

Here's a variation using his receptacle idea - uses 2/3 of the space(132) and has 8 more mushrooms(32), so ~4 tiles/shroom. It has only 2 sweepers/rec/loaders, 86 tiles(so you could add 8 more plants and still keep it a farm). The pathing for the top and bottom rows is a bit long, though.

Alex_shroom_farm_02.thumb.png.0b2b1c8e521713a2ecb0176ee4ed0935.png

Here's another idea using diagonal receptacle/loader combo, also stackable. It has 32 mushrooms and uses 135 tiles, so ~4 tiles/shroom

• The farm station is in the rectangle, making it even easier to stack. You need another farm station outside, though.
  • Also I haven't tested if slime will produce polluted oxygen. It should stay sealed in that 2x1 compartment where the receptacle is, right?
  • You can also build it so that the loader is common for both sweepers(in case refined metal is important)
  • Note the farm station position - you have to first build its foundation, then build the farm station, then destroy the foundation and then put the sweeper. It's still counted as a valid room.
  • Again, the pathing is a bit bad - it's separated in 2 parts.

5b61a7a91c7a4_shroomfarmidea01.thumb.png.d64c717e72e5297d0e1689b42baf2b12.png

Disclaimer: I haven't tested them in survival mode, so I can't really give you any guarantees. It's just an idea of what you could do.

12 hours ago, martosss said:

Here's another idea using diagonal receptacle/loader combo, also stackable. It has 32 mushrooms and uses 135 tiles, so ~4 tiles/shroom

• The farm station is in the rectangle, making it even easier to stack. You need another farm station outside, though.
  • Also I haven't tested if slime will produce polluted oxygen. It should stay sealed in that 2x1 compartment where the receptacle is, right?
  • You can also build it so that the loader is common for both sweepers(in case refined metal is important)
  • Note the farm station position - you have to first build its foundation, then build the farm station, then destroy the foundation and then put the sweeper. It's still counted as a valid room.
  • Again, the pathing is a bit bad - it's separated in 2 parts.

Something about the slime and the receptacle: The slime may off-gas on the conveyor rails if these are exposed, or not inside solid tiles. Therefore some additional path-ing may be required to reach the receptacle from the loader. The rails will be always full. If there are small gaps, conveyor bridges can help bridge these one tile gaps (e.g., ladders).

21 minutes ago, Argelle said:

Remind me the reason to choose bristle versus mealwood for gloosy drecko farming?

I've been looking at ONI biology, but I see no cue as to put up with light and water supplements where dirt is enought.

image.png.e9fe27d1d25694472602db7116a0d603.png

I used BB because I ran out of dirt ... Reason - fed hatches with it :(

Other than that , you can compare Dirt vs water requirements. If you can make the Bristle Berries into a farm and use farmer's touch on them, they'll grow 50% faster. That means they use at least 30kg Water/50% plant(Dreckos eat 50% BB or 100% Mealwood daily), while Mealwood uses 30kg Dirt/100%. So it's basically 1:1 Water:Dirt trade. That might make mealwood a better choice if you're choke-full of DIrt. In my new run I'm careful with feeding hathes and have ~100t Dirt. In that case Plastic dreckos might get a degrade to the cheaper food, just like normal dupes. :)

Also, you can calculate the Plastic production efficiency from Plastic Dreckos(PD) vs Polymer press (PP).

• PD produce 150kg/3days, so they require 90kg Dirt or 90kg Water, so 60% efficiency.
    • BB requires farming though, without it it is 30% efficient. Also I'm not sure if PD will eat almost grown plants(+50% when Farmer's touch is applied).
  • From the wiki, PP uses 5kg Petroleum/3kg Plastic, so 60% efficiency.
    • However, You need to get Petroleum, where you'll lose 50% mass if you lose the Oil refinery, so that will make make this method 30% efficient.
    • If you boil Crude oil to get Petroleum and don't use the Oil Refinery then it's 60% efficiency.

So the easiest way to be efficient would be mealwood - no farming shenanigans required and a big amount present. However, Later in the game you might need to boil water to get Dirt(or use the Sieve).

thanks for the detailed answer @martosss

Plenty of dirt here, my colony did not run on mealwood very long (I even skip the mush bar altogether :) ).

Did you take in account that for the plants within the drecko's farm, because of grooming station, I cannot have farmer's touch?

Beside, is farmer's touch affecting mealwood?

Just now, Argelle said:

thanks for the detailed answer @martosss

Plenty of dirt here, my colony did not run on mealwood very long (I even skip the mush bar altogether :) ).

Did you take in account that for the plants within the drecko's farm, because of grooming station, I cannot have farmer's touch?

Beside, is farmer's touch affecting mealwood?

AFAIK No, Mealwood doesn't need a farm, so it's much easaier - no farm, no light, no water.

If you divide the ranch into 2 parts you could potentially achieve a farm + ranch(split the 2 with a door, possibly opening it every x cycles only to feed the dreckos and then wrangling them back in the ranch)? I agree that farmers' touch is messy.

I'm also not sure if farmers can use farmer's touch outside farms, as long as they can produce it? That would make boosting BB much easier.

I thought about the dual farm/stable room but sadely doors, open or not, define the room, hence their function. so it will involved building/deconstructing walls

Spoiler

and I know how you feel about doing it with mess table to switch the toilets from hospital use only to commun use ;)

But yes, it would be nice to have an "outside farm" farmer's touch :)

40 minutes ago, Argelle said:

sadely doors, open or not, define the room, hence their function.

sadely? sadly? I don't understand what you mean.

For me the problem is separating Hydrogen-hungry Dreckos from the O2/CO2/Chlorine-hungry plants. You can have a timer opening every 2 cycles(I actually made a clock to measure more than 1 cycle :D, you can have a look at the tic-toc atomic clock topic here )so Dreckos can feed and then close the door and auto-wrangle everything from the farm back in the ranch. Another reason to do this is that it will allow you to have a very small drecko farm(basically a 6x1 island with ladder access where all dreckos are stuffed).

Here's a sample of what I'm imagining.

• Mesh tiles = water
  • doors need to be kept open
  • The electrical hatches need automation - middle left, bottom right door. Closing them will make the farm beneath accessible for Dreckos.
  • Drop-off below is supposedly used to auto-wrangle critters once feeding time is over. I am not sure if this will work - needs further testing. The hatch beneath it needs to be:
    • closed - farm is locked for dreckos => wrangling
    • opened - dreckos are feeding => no wrangling
  • However, this is not completely optimized - you can consider optimizing dupe travel time to plants + better automation setup + better ranch-farm positioning to fit more plants and optimize drecko path to plants(short  path to all plants).

image.thumb.png.36f769322166e8c053ec9c8c131c0feb.png

22 minutes ago, martosss said:

If you divide the ranch into 2 parts you could potentially achieve a farm + ranch(split the 2 with a door, possibly opening it every x cycles

sadely? sadly? I don't understand what you mean.

Opening a door between two adjacent rooms does toggle it from stable to farm.

image.png.028812a774ba9f9fd084b43447d377db.png

Did you have something like this in mind? open left door gives a farm, open right defines a stable ?

or the doors are to the top so that's the dreckos moving from one to another? that would be transhumance  !!!! nice !!

EDIT: your image is not visible :

image.png.3fc287d2720d8c5e36d21e7cf55cfab8.png

Re-EDIT: now I see !

1 minute ago, Argelle said:

Opening a door between two adjacent rooms does toggle it from stable to farm.

image.png.028812a774ba9f9fd084b43447d377db.png

Did you have something like this in mind? open left door gives a farm, open right defines a stable ?

This doesn't work since farm and ranch are always fixed by the door placement. Closing/opening doors doesn't change room size. Look above, I edited my post a little to add pics.

Anyone else just make a simple Glossy Dreko ranch for a few of them, and then just auto-drop their eggs into a hydro filled room with no food and shearing station?

I found you can get a ton of plastic this way. Takes 5 days for the babies to become big enough to be shaved, but you get a few shavings before they starve if the room is totally packed with Hydrogen.

2 minutes ago, BadlyBurned said:

Anyone else just make a simple Glossy Dreko ranch for a few of them, and then just auto-drop their eggs into a hydro filled room with no food and shearing station?

I found you can get a ton of plastic this way. Takes 5 days for the babies to become big enough to be shaved, but you get a few shavings before they starve if the room is totally packed with Hydrogen.

You monster! You should pray there are no animal rights activists on your meteor or your dupes might organize a movement for more Drecko freedoms and go on a strike! :)

Other than that danger, I guess that will work, too. However, you need to wait 30 cycles for those eggs to hatch. Also, you need to make sure your original population stays the same.

I see what you're getting at @martosss, it's clearer with a drawing.

If auto wrangling does not work, why not, as I said, let the drecko do their little transhumance :) ?

image.thumb.png.085bae8c646913afd7375b639efe59a4.png

Top is stable, shearing, grooming

Down is farm (with farmer's touch!)

Upper doors open: dreckos moving between the room.

@BadlyBurned why is the shearing station where you drop the eggs?

6 minutes ago, Argelle said:

If auto wrangling does not work, why not, as I said, let the drecko do their little transhumance :) ?

Upper doors open: dreckos moving between the room..

The idea is to keep dreckos above as much as possible => more plastic.

We don't have hydrogen-hungry plants, so unless you're shearing starving babies(which is a nice idea!), that should increase scale growth.

Usually Dreckos will go eating and then wander around the plants, so locking them away in Hydrogen is better then leaving them free.

image.thumb.png.39023483c8419d356af0d445f761b01d.pngAnd regarding the open door, I think it doesn't work - see the door? It's open and the ranch is still limited.

42 minutes ago, Argelle said:

Upper doors open: dreckos moving between the room.

@BadlyBurned why is the shearing station where you drop the eggs?

Because they can be sheared for plastic as soon as they are old enough. The total Hydrogen environment makes it so they grow it as fast as possible.

While some people may think this is not efficient, think on this.

If you just build a ranch for glossy drekos with NO hyrdrogen or shearing station (just a grooming station), you can fit so so many more bristle berries or meal lice packed into a tight room. These dreckos are "breeders" so it doesn't matter that hey don't regen their scales.

It does take a long time for it to pay off as you'll naturally be hatching these on the floor of they hyrdrogen room, but soooooo many will be born that you'll get way more plastic than you ever would of gotten just farming original dreckos. Not to mention the space you save as you just need one packed room for as many Glossies as you can feed, and one small room for the babies to bask in Hyrdrogen.

They also produce you meat, as they starve in like 10-20 days after they hit Day 5, so you don't even need to micromanage to murder them.

Basically I invented Veal in ONI

++++

Other than that danger, I guess that will work, too. However, you need to wait 30 cycles for those eggs to hatch. Also, you need to make sure your original population stays the same.

No, just put an autowrangler in the hyrdogren room and if any space opens in the breeder room they'll fill it from there.  I can get a truly silly amount of plastic from  just 6 GD in a breeding room using this method.

Archived