Do you think the Longhair Slickster should be changed?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the Longhair Slickster should be changed?

• Nah, leave 'em as they are.
    • Change them! They're useless!

I was just thinking...what if Longhaired Slicksters consumed oxygen, and put out water?

Now I know what you're thinking, how could that even be possible?! When I showed and explained the concept of a Slickster to a classmate of mine he was thinking the exact same thing. As soon as I told him what they do he asked me:

"Where does it get the hydrogen?"

He then theorized that the Slicksters somehow are able to produce hydrogen while metabolizing the carbon dioxide, thus creating the pseudo-crude oil they expel.

Now onto what the main title is about. What if Longhaired Slicksters consume oxygen, and through that same (theorized) metabolizing process, produces water as waste?

It'd certainly make them more useful than what they are now...I can't even put a collar on them and take them for walks.

Spoiler

Slight tangent here...

What if certain Ranchers gained the trait that would allow critters to follow them around? Like a bonding meter, if a Dupe spends a lot of time with a critter, and taking care of its needs, then they'd start to form a bond. When the Bonding Meter is maxed out, the critter would then gain the status:

Bonded

This critter has bonded with (Dupe), and will gain more happiness when its needs are tended by (Dupe) as a result. Due to its new found affection, it will gain less happiness, and will be more hesitant when tended to by other Dupes. When (Dupe) is near, it will automatically follow (Dupe) around and mooch for attention. Aw.

Both the Dupe and the Critter will be more happy when around each other. And...I dunno, maybe it'll extend it's life cycle by a handful. A Dupe can bond with multiple critters, and maybe a critter can bond with multiple dupes. However I think the benefits of the bond would decrease with each dupe bonded. 

Uh...that sounds complicated, lemme try to paraphrase:

• Dupe 1: 100% effective in maintaining critter happiness (100% boost in production when groomed, bond needs to be maintained ~every 5 cycles)
  • Dupe 2: 50% effective in maintaining critter happiness (50% boost in production when groomed, bond needs to be maintained ~ every 3 cycles)
  • Dupe 3: 25% effective in maintaining critter happiness (25% boost in production when groomed, bond needs to be maintained ~every 2 cycles)
  • Dupe 4+: 13.5% effective in maintaining critter happiness (13.5% boost in production when groomed, bond needs to be maintained ~every cycle)

So what do ya think? :wilson_dorky:

3 hours ago, BlueLance said:

Id rather they stayed as decor, They already give water passively via oil and petroleum.

Wait what? But you're referring to the normal and Molten Slickster...not the Décor, Quality Sensations one.

I'd like it if all the critters serve some function.

Spoiler

Excluding the Nega Shine Bug because it's already perfect...even though I'd love for it to have a "Darkness" Light...as oxymoronic as it may be.

At least make it fluffier. This one doesn't have satisfactory levels of floof. This is how much floof we could've gotten:

Spoiler

8652ba2d150546f5cc7c752e35018645.thumb.png.3d9ee9a0e68e33a35fe151046bb99fa4.png

Look at this and tell me the one we have is floofy enough.

1 minute ago, Coolthulhu said:

The one we have is floofy enough.

Most others look too goofy and annoying. They certainly don't look like +50 decor in large radius.

Bowl cut best morph. I like the aesthetic of it being a puppy, that's something that'd be +50 decor in a large radius...a fluffo puppo.

Image result for fluffy puppy

While it would be neat if they produced water, Klei would likely have it produce an amount low enough that it doesn't get a positive loop with the Electrolyzer.  As it is now longhairs are actually the most likely to be allowed anywhere in the base.  When they become Glum due to no Grooming Station they'll be at their best since they'll consume a lot less oxygen as a result.  With the recent change that they'll still produce an egg (even if it'll only be one in its lifetime) there's no real need to keep one in a stable.

17 hours ago, watermelen671 said:

Wait what? But you're referring to the normal and Molten Slickster...not the Décor, Quality Sensations one.

Yeah, but what next? if you have critters doing everything, filling in every need then that's kinda pointless. There should be critters that are pests as well.

1 minute ago, BlueLance said:

Yeah, but what next? if you have critters doing everything, filling in every need then that's kinda pointless. There should be critters that are pests as well.

Not everything, just...something more than existing, and eating my food! AGH WHO PUT MY BARBEQUE IN THE CRITTER FEEDER?! DON'T LET THEM EAT THA- OH DAMMIT!! :wilson_ecstatic:

9 minutes ago, watermelen671 said:

Not everything, just...something more than existing, and eating my food! AGH WHO PUT MY BARBEQUE IN THE CRITTER FEEDER?! DON'T LET THEM EAT THA- OH DAMMIT!! :wilson_ecstatic:

We already have them providing us with FUEL that can become other useful ingredients. What could it provide us that we dont already have coming?

3 hours ago, BlueLance said:

We already have them providing us with FUEL that can become other useful ingredients. What could it provide us that we dont already have coming?

Love? :wilson_love:

Spoiler

I don't see them showing me any affection. My love is completely asymmetrical. :wilson_cry:

3 hours ago, watermelen671 said:

Love? :wilson_love:

Hide contents

I don't see them showing me any affection. My love is completely asymmetrical. :wilson_cry:

Spoiler

Your dupes don't love you either.  No one loves you.  Luckily, in space no one can hear you cry.

Spoiler

We really do need a Social Upgrade.

10 hours ago, BlueLance said:

There should be critters that are pests as well.

But they shouldn't lay edible eggs, shouldn't be easily contained and shouldn't grant decor.

Pests should be giant disgusting flies that eat your food, breed on your polluted dirt, spread food poisoning on everything they touch (including food that they don't finish), hide in undug slime, annoy dupes with buzzing, and are only edible by critters and not by dupes. Not be just lazy and flamboyant slicksters that lonely female dupes fill their houses colonies with.

2 minutes ago, Coolthulhu said:

But they shouldn't lay edible eggs, shouldn't be easily contained and shouldn't grant decor.

Pests should be giant disgusting flies that eat your food, breed on your polluted dirt, spread food poisoning on everything they touch (including food that they don't finish), hide in undug slime, annoy dupes with buzzing, and are only edible by critters and not by dupes. Not be just lazy and flamboyant slicksters that lonely female dupes fill their houses colonies with.

e6c4e321a089bb7b1255c955542cb123.png

45 minutes ago, Coolthulhu said:

I've proposed volgus could be fill the niche of pests, spreading disease, eating unstored food, and gnawing on any exposed wiring they find.

1 hour ago, goboking said:

I've proposed volgus could be fill the niche of pests, spreading disease, eating unstored food, and gnawing on any exposed wiring they find.

But what about heavy-watt wires?

Spoiler

Also in the code they act like the wabbits from Don't Starve. No not the bunnymen...although that'd be interesting.

2 hours ago, watermelen671 said:

But what about heavy-watt wires?

Hide contents

Also in the code they act like the wabbits from Don't Starve. No not the bunnymen...although that'd be interesting.

Spoiler

I'm unfamiliar with DS.  Mind elaborating?

Archived