The Gorge Decoded! (Now with text of the theory)

MasteroftheTDS

EDIT: added the text of the theory in a reply below after people alerted me to the fact that they weren’t sure the link was safe. The link will have pictures along with the text but if you just want to read the theory it’s down below.

I have figured out the inspiration behind The Gorge event! I am so sure this is factual and not just a theory. Check it out for yourselves!! http://aminoapps.com/p/q68n3g7

15295BC0-8E19-41F1-AA0D-BEE226E93170.jpeg

A few days ago or a week, there was a confusion over the event lable saying "Through the ages", just like what "new Reign" was originally supposed to be called. There's a theory that these events will be showing the events of the hunchraces through time with the starvers as time travelers.

For sure you would have more people involved in your idea if you actually posted your text here on the forums. 
I do understand you want to link to your site, I really do but the way you posted this looked like a poor attempt of spreading malware, which was why I didn't even click the link until someone else confirmed it's a safe link. 

Thanks for letting me know. Your absolutely right. Next time I’ll make sure to do that. I was so excited that I wasn’t thinking about how it might look. 

5 hours ago, minespatch said:

A few days ago or a week, there was a confusion over the event lable saying "Through the ages", just like what "new Reign" was originally supposed to be called. There's a theory that these events will be showing the events of the hunchraces through time with the starvers as time travelers.

I actually thought about that too. Only thing that doesn’t fit with that is the hybrid animal human creatures. Also Klei confirmed that Pugna came from our world. This implies that he isn’t in our world anymore. 

22 minutes ago, Lumina said:

Same for me, i didn't click on the link because i wasn't sure it was a safe link.

Understood, next time if I post a theory I’ll just take the text. 

Hello everyone! I have a theory about The Gorge event for DST that is so good and has so many coincidences that I wouldn’t even call it a theory. I would be willing to stake my entire reputation on this theory being factual. So without further ado, let’s get into it! 

(Disclaimer: what you are about to read may contain some minor spoilers for The Gorge event, you have been warned.)

The Gorge event takes place after the events of The Forge and is a continuation of the story. Having escaped The Forge, Wilson and the gang find themselves thrust into the ruins of a decaying and sickly city. They must work together to create dishes of food to satisfy the cravings of the mighty Gnaw in order to avoid the Gnaw’s plague, if they manage to earn the Gnaw’s favor they may be able to escape. 

Now that you’re up to speed I’ll get on with my theory. Those of you who played the beta probably know exactly what the consequences for failing to appease the Gnaw are. If you fail to appease the Gnaw you are afflicted with its plague and turned into a Merm. That’s right, a Merm the babbling fishy freaks we all love to hate.

A lot of people have been speculating what all this means, well speculate no more! This entire event and everything in it is based on the stories of H.P. Lovecraft and I can prove it! 

It is well known that the Merms in DS and DST were modeled after The Deep Ones. What are The Deep Ones you ask? Well The Deep Ones are creatures from the Cythulhu Mythos of H.P. Lovecraft. According to most sources The Deep Ones are described as: 

“A race of intelligent ocean-dwelling creatures, approximately human-shaped but with a fishy, froggy appearance.”

Sound familiar? It should, this description closely matches the description of the Merms. So what does this have to do with The Gorge event? Well I’ll tell you.

The Deep Ones in H.P. Lovecraft appeared first in a story titled “The Shadow Over Innsmouth” The city of Innsmouth is a fictional city described as the following: 

“The town of Innsmouth is described as being in a horrendous state of decay, with many of the buildings rotting, and on the point of collapse.”

Interesting don’t you think? By now you might be seeing a faint connection between this story by Lovecraft and the city our characters find themselves in in The Gorge.

You must be wondering where I am going with this. Aside from some minor similarities in description of the city and the fact that the Merms are based off of The Deep Ones I have not given much evidence to support my theory. Well what if I told you the city of Innsmouth was struck by a mysterious plague? Well shockingly enough it was! Want to guess what the source of this plague was? You guessed it! The source of the plague was The Deep Ones!

The plague had people fearing for their lives and in desperation they offered up humans to interbreed with The Deep Ones as well as made appeasement offerings of gold and fish! Starting to connect the dots? Well I’ve saved the best for last!

Wonder what happened to an offspring of a human and a Deep One? Well they grew up appearing human but eventually began to transform into Deep Ones! Yes, that is right! These offspring went from looking like normal humans to transforming into fishy frog-like monsters. According to the story when that happened, these hybrids would vanish into the ocean, never to be seen again.

With this evidence I conclude that The Gorge event is based off of H.P. Lovecraft. I know there are many other elements thrown into this event but I will touch on those in the future when I have more information.

Until next time.

6 hours ago, MasteroftheTDS said:

I actually thought about that too. Only thing that doesn’t fit with that is the hybrid animal human creatures. Also Klei confirmed that Pugna came from our world. This implies that he isn’t in our world anymore. 

Merms came before Maxwell, so that's where my theory comes from. Though if Pugna gets more development, we'll find out more info.

3 hours ago, minespatch said:

Merms came before Maxwell, so that's where my theory comes from. Though if Pugna gets more development, we'll find out more info.

According to the Merm vignette Merms have also been living in the Constant long before humans did. 

Oh, we already knew the Don't Starve universe was Lovecraftian as HECK.  Your own madness eventually attacking you for realsies, for example...

...I haven't read "The Shadow Over Innsmouth" specifically yet, though--perhaps I should...  Maybe I'll wait until fall/closer to Halloween to get the right atmosphere.  :)

If there's ever an event based off of "The Colour Out of Space"*, by the way, warn me ahead of time.  (shudders)  And if any of your crops (in DST or any other game) start coming up as weird rainbow colours?  RUN!

...Notorious

*Which is an interesting spelling, considering Lovecraft was American.  HOW recently in history did we ditch the "u"'s, anyway...?  Of course, _I_ spell it that way because why not, so you can't really go by me...

7 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Oh, we already knew the Don't Starve universe was Lovecraftian as HECK.  Your own madness eventually attacking you for realsies, for example...

...I haven't read "The Shadow Over Innsmouth" specifically yet, though--perhaps I should...  Maybe I'll wait until fall/closer to Halloween to get the right atmosphere.  :)

If there's ever an event based off of "The Colour Out of Space"*, by the way, warn me ahead of time.  (shudders)  And if any of your crops (in DST or any other game) start coming up as weird rainbow colours?  RUN!

...Notorious

*Which is an interesting spelling, considering Lovecraft was American.  HOW recently in history did we ditch the "u"'s, anyway...?  Of course, _I_ spell it that way because why not, so you can't really go by me...

I didn’t need read it either. I just did my research. I was really surprised that so many things matched the events of the story. 

20 hours ago, minespatch said:

[When a bug in a language pack breaks the countdown and people still believe ]

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback. 

19 hours ago, pedregales said:

So... you are telling me that Mumsy will become a merm either way? And so will Billy? Interesting...

It’s definitely possible but I’m not exactly sure how the animal human hybrid creatures fit into all this. But im researching it. 

18 hours ago, GorilaInvisible said:

Well... If The gorge's merms are the same merms from the DS world that means all merms used to be goats, wich explains their pig aversy.

That’s an interesting way to look at things I suppose. 

18 hours ago, Lumina said:

Thanks for putting the text of your theory here. It's interesting :)

Thank you for reading it :) 

Archived