"Last construction item" hotkey

Ever came across this scenario?

- I'm building pipes.

- Oh, this section require a bridge. Select bridge and click.

- Annnnd, now I'm holding a bridge. Select pipes and continue.

- Wait, there's another jump needed here. Select bridge again and click.

- Annnnd, now I'm holding a bridge agian. Select pipes again and continue.

- Oh, I went through some dirt. I need to dig out that section. Select Dig, make the one-tile tunnel into a two-tile tunnel

- Annnnd, I still need to continue making pipes. Select pipes and continue.

Etc.

Annnnd... we don't need to? Could we have a hotkey that brings up the last construction item that has previously been selected? Everytime a building gets "shuffled" out of view it is saved in memory (even if it's because another building is selected). The hotkey brings that memory back to the forefront.

IMO, this feature would be nice to have.

I Totally agree! 

I would even be ok with better shortcuts.

Now when you click 1 you open the buildings category. 3 is plumbing I think and so on. I would like If you could click like shift+1 afterwards to pick the first item in the list and so on.

For example. 1 then shift +1 for building a wall. Maybe alt+3 for granite. But just an idea.

My 2 cents: Set the cycle backward key to Q, and cycle forward key to E.

These two keys are right next to the WASD keys, which I use HEAVILY for camera movement while setting up construction.

An alternative would be to have LSHIFT+M1 click and LCTRL+M1 click to cycle backwards/forwards.

Alternative alternative, have a 'pick block' key that selects to place the tile you're hovering with the cursor. It would select the building if you have no overlay up and the overlay specific item with an overlay up. If a tile just has a pipe, it would select the pipe. This is a feature with Minecraft creative mode and some other games I can't quite remember offhand and it saves a ton of time.

20 hours ago, Ambaire said:

Alternative alternative, have a 'pick block' key that selects to place the tile you're hovering with the cursor. It would select the building if you have no overlay up and the overlay specific item with an overlay up. If a tile just has a pipe, it would select the pipe. This is a feature with Minecraft creative mode and some other games I can't quite remember offhand and it saves a ton of time.

You just described Factorio. And yes, this is a rediculously good QoL boost. 

I like that idea, I usually put all pipes, leaving bridges at last, and then open up tunnels last, I have to do it in order not as I move though the pipeline because of the item switch.

So it would be great.

Also, at longer states of your colony, you have an air system on top of the map, a slicketr ranch at the bottom, an oil production southeast, a current proyect for a polluted water tank/destillery on the west side.

I would love to have hotkeys for locations. Custom location marks. Press shift+1 to save the location and control+1 to go to that location. That would save me too, a lot of scrolling time.

On 5/22/2018 at 12:29 PM, thewreckedangle said:

what about an eye-dropper? it has this in the sims for example.

I had been thinking the same thing when I played yesterday. As my base grew and grew, I keep pressing the wrong number button to bring up the building list. An eyedropper to sample the building or anything we want would be amazing, especially when I keep mixing pressing F6 for plumbing view but forgot it was 5 to open the plumbing build list.

and pressing the cancel and deconstruct hotkey again jumps back to the last selected item to build. a famous non-Maxis city-builder-game has this mechanic and it's sooo helpful.

I also support the motion for location hotkeys! until then I use alt-s to scroll out and focus on the area of interest...

Archived