How to cook certain eggs only

It's very very simple. You need 2 fridges, auto sweeper, logic wire and buffer gate

The point is that grill should always have 3 eggs in it. Dupes can't refill already full grills

Left fridge is resource fridge. It contains all eggs you need to cook and already cooked omelettes. Set to maximum 100 kg

Right fridge is signal fridge. Set to 1 kg max and can contain eggs to cook only. It show

us if we have 1 more egg for grill or not. it have higher priority than resource fridge, so sweeper will refill it if we have eggs. 

We need buffer gate because without it sweeper will infinitely activate and deactivate itself. I set my to 7 sec

Grill is set to infinite omlettes

So, if we have egg in signal fridge, it means we already have 3 eggs in the grill. Dupe will cook the egg, sweeper will instantly refill the grill from signal fridge, and then refill signal fridge from resource fridge and process will continue. if there is no eggs left, we get 0 signal from signal fridge and system disables itself until you get new eggs, so 3 eggs will be always in the grill, not allowing dupes to bring another eggs, which means you will always cook eggs you checked in the signal fridge only

image.thumb.png.28a1ba1d34fb697836c78ef7ee07913a.png

Use door permissions so the guy who can go into grill room can only access container storing the eggs you want to cook.

Either Give him a bed and lavatory so he doesn't ever need to leave; or make sure the eggs you want to save are in a container with door he can't cross, and that container has higher priority than the grill.

If you don't lock the grill guy in he could still go grab an egg on the ground somewhere, but its unlikely if you set his priorities for grilling.

You might be able to prevent him from sweeping with priorities but IDK how that works.

The other option is to only allow ranchers access to your ranch rooms, and set capacities on high priority in-room egg storage containers so over-flow will be taken outside.

Very slight safety alteration.

20180513005102_1.thumb.jpg.2b8f48839a6c781bb54909a0d95b4d46.jpg

The automation from the fridge is set to open the door instead.  This results in no one being able to access the grill in bad edge cases.  The fridge to the right of the grill stores the cooked omelettes.

The door on the right is exit only and the door to the far left is set to only allow one cook in.  This also stops random dupes from queuing an egg delivery right before the sweeper arm takes the job.

This looks fantastic!

I was looking for a method to automate egg-specific omelette grills, and this looks like it will work nicely. I can see a few flaws and edge cases as @0xFADE pointed out, with dupes queuing up egg deliveries before the sweeper arm activates, but this is tolerable. If you keep your egg farm closer to the grill than any other farm, this will never be a problem.

I'm not a fan of designs involving door access, permissions, and disabled priorities because I cross train every dupe in 2-3 critical roles, with nearly everyone able to ranch, cook, dig, and operate, and micromanaging permissions is a pain.

One other reason I prefer @landromat's design is I can maintain an exterior walk-in fridge, with cooled chlorine as mass food storage. With only one dupe access to the grill, my current base design would make it difficult to get the food into the walk-in fridge.

The 3 fridges are accessible by other people if that was a concern.

And the omelette fridge has a lower priority than the other fridges in the base so people do move it.  It would be something you could do with full automation, if I put arms in the fridge room I could send the food directly there.

12 hours ago, crypticorb said:

This looks fantastic!

i'm glad you like it!

12 hours ago, crypticorb said:

dupes queuing up egg deliveries before the sweeper arm activates

Dupes should  bring closest egg to the grill if i guess right. In time grill needs to refill there is always egg in the fridge, so dupes should never bring eggs you don't want, i never seen that at least

3 hours ago, Stoof said:

Still dissappointed in the devs for making us have to resort to this. Nice build though.

This. I've build an elaborate system of item droppers and cycle counters to hatch eggs at a fixed rate to automatically keep my stables at the right population and the whole time I was designing it I felt like I was just compensating for bugs and klei's poor design choices with ranch mk2.

15 hours ago, landromat said:

i'm glad you like it!

Dupes should  bring closest egg to the grill if i guess right. In time grill needs to refill there is always egg in the fridge, so dupes should never bring eggs you don't want, i never seen that at least

It would be nice if dupes targeted closest.  Almost seems like they don't check vertical distance or distance at all as they consistently went for eggs far below them in my fish tank rather than ones much closer.  Either way these work very well and are technically very simple except for needing a sweeper.

5 minutes ago, 0xFADE said:

It would be nice if dupes targeted closest.  Almost seems like they don't check vertical distance or distance at all as they consistently went for eggs far below them in my fish tank rather than ones much closer.  Either way these work very well and are technically very simple except for needing a sweeper.

I think sweeper is must have instument in any kitchen anyway. It speeds up cooking drastically, automatically refil grill and sending cooked food to the storage

29 minutes ago, landromat said:

I think sweeper is must have instument in any kitchen anyway. It speeds up cooking drastically, automatically refil grill and sending cooked food to the storage

Very true and I'll have to use sweepers and conveyors as much as possible with grills. 

I meant more that this solution isn't as early game as ranching and the need for it is. 

1 hour ago, 0xFADE said:

Very true and I'll have to use sweepers and conveyors as much as possible with grills. 

I meant more that this solution isn't as early game as ranching and the need for it is. 

True. but i don't think it's a big problem

That wont work, A dupe will see he needs to go supply and then look for the nearest location for the resource.

So where is the dupe at the second it decide it need to supply the grill? You can't grantee that unless you make a small room with a bed and toilet that the cook can't leave and can only reach one single container, that is between two doors, one the outside world can use to fill the container and the other only the cook can use to get eggs..

On 15.05.2018 at 1:23 AM, Miravlix said:

That wont work, A dupe will see he needs to go supply and then look for the nearest location for the resource.

So where is the dupe at the second it decide it need to supply the grill? You can't grantee that unless you make a small room with a bed and toilet that the cook can't leave and can only reach one single container, that is between two doors, one the outside world can use to fill the container and the other only the cook can use to get eggs..

it usually happens if storage priority is more than 5. Grill with 5 priority should work well

Exosuit docks.

replace the kitchen entrance with an exosuit doubledock.  Dupes will not path delivery jobs across multiple exosuit checkpoints.  This should prevent all external egg delivery.  Its extreme, late game, testing soon.

46 minutes ago, Kabrute said:

Exosuit docks.

replace the kitchen entrance with an exosuit doubledock.  Dupes will not path delivery jobs across multiple exosuit checkpoints.  This should prevent all external egg delivery.  Its extreme, late game, testing soon.

Interesting idea.  It sure is hard for them to deliver anything past one dock.

38 minutes ago, avc15 said:

I only have one question.

Will the auto sweeper fill a grill that's disabled by automation?

I remember we tested automation on the grills and someone or something still delivered to it.  Which is why I settled on the door instead of the grill.

It has been several hundred cycles and has been working fine.

Archived