Performance hit since ranching - are critters at fault?

ONI handles framerate drops badly - duplicants who are eating only get calories on the frames that are actually drawn, dupe AI takes a lot of time to catch up and pick up new jobs, ranching takes a lot more because critters spend ten seconds to realize they're being called to station. 10 seconds of 3x speed is not the same as 30 seconds of 1x speed.

I've noticed that Ranching update chugs a lot more than earlier versions of the game. It could be tons of critters, which everyone raises as food source since they're better than plants, it could be the tons of wild critters that path around, or possibly something else altogether.

What's the current meta on avoiding FPS death? Do I need to murder all the critters and go back to farming?

18 minutes ago, Risu said:

Performance hit on which branch? It's expected on the beta with all the reporting additions running.

Preview, ranching mark 2

Pretty sure it took a big hit between preview mark 1 and 2. Not sure when exactly, as I skipped a bunch of patches.

7 hours ago, Coolthulhu said:

Preview, ranching mark 2

Pretty sure it took a big hit between preview mark 1 and 2. Not sure when exactly, as I skipped a bunch of patches.

Its not the critters, its the logging that's enabled on the preview branch.  You always have to wait til release to actually see how it'll run.

22 minutes ago, strideknight said:

Its not the critters, its the logging that's enabled on the preview branch.  You always have to wait til release to actually see how it'll run.

Are you sure about that? If logging is really having a performance issue in ONI, then i'd like to see the log files, because they surely must take a hefty bite of my harddrive.

Also logging by most modern logging frameworks is done asynchronously, which should reduce the impact on the application performance.

As to the every preview runs slow, that's true. But the expected jump in performance is only about 100% and with the new critters added in the game is nearly unplayable late game. This will be the same case even after the release. The comments which state develop the game first then optimize is completely wrong. This is not how to develop a game. It has to be done from the beginning. Many streamers have stopped playing the game and I don't expect this to change on release because it's too slow.

1 hour ago, w3amd said:

As to the every preview runs slow, that's true. But the expected jump in performance is only about 100% and with the new critters added in the game is nearly unplayable late game. This will be the same case even after the release. The comments which state develop the game first then optimize is completely wrong. This is not how to develop a game. It has to be done from the beginning. Many streamers have stopped playing the game and I don't expect this to change on release because it's too slow.

IDK what to tell you.  *shrug*  The performance hit isn't affecting me at all, really.  I play on a multitude of platforms, though I haven't turned on the preview update with my 10 year old laptop -- because I know from previous experience with previews that it won't run well.  I wouldn't worry about the performance problems until AFTER they've pushed it into the main branch.  As long as its a preview, the extra debug code is going to trump whatever other performance issues there are.

If there's still a big performance problem after its gone into the main branch, then write up a bug report.  Explain when you start seeing the performance problems and what seems to make them worse/better.  The players will appreciate you for it, since they'll know what to avoid, and Klei will appreciate your input.

"The game is unplayable and nobody's playing anymore" is not a productive form of feedback.  I guess I'm "nobody," though, because I'm still playing. Be safe out there!

1 hour ago, w3amd said:

The comments which state develop the game first then optimize is completely wrong. This is not how to develop a game.

Repeating the same thing over and over doesn't make it true.  Optimization of functions is extremely laborious and takes time away from feature development.  I know I know, you're the savior (self stated) of ONI's future business, but this drivel is absurd.

“Forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: premature optimization is the root of all evil.” -Donald Knuth.

Knuth > random forum poster.  The pareto principle really comes into play when speaking about optimization, and video games aren't microcontrollers that run on set hardware profiles.  Sometimes you have to appreciate that many people may do things in different fashions than you'd prefer, and that doesn't make them or their approach wrong or failing.

I'd suggest instead of filling the gameplay forums with suggested development practices you drop them in the suggestion queue.

1 hour ago, w3amd said:

Many streamers have stopped playing the game and I don't expect this to change on release because it's too slow.

Confirmation bias.

Archived