so I've been screwing around with some volcano setup to evaporate oil into natural gas, and use oil and the super heated gas to preheat / cool each other,. so what have you guys been upto with the volcano's geysers and such

2018-04-04.thumb.png.e96d3475ac1091997629a48a4ab954f1.png

the doors don't destroy any materials though, and drip cooling? didnt they fixed that bug? the oil isnt there to make use of that drip cooling its there to tranfer the heat from the nat gas to the oil i want to get as much nat gas as possible why would i even wanna use drip cooling?

well compressing gasses isn't the goal of the doors either.... its just to creat vacuum so the heat doesnt transfer between the gasses from different compartments...

am i missing something or what is the point of your comment?

My setup isnt as complicated and as elegant, but thats just me, i like simple and as "foolproof" solutions as possible. Oil flow is set on 240 g/s, enough for 4 generators. Door opens if there is no fluid on the heating plate to not waste heat to just heat the gas. Second setup has there second hydro sensor to turn off oil flow if there is too much fluid on heating plate if heat should run off in dormant phase. Nullifer keeps up just fine ~60C output gas. First setup has oil preheat tank and some extra cooling circle (extra heat goes into pwater tank so no drip cooling used). Preheating has no effect, Using lower temp oil would give out lower temp natgas. 

NG1.thumb.jpg.02926a63b36e566a90fd5e35dd787719.jpg

NG2.thumb.jpg.7d76c4bb781716cdaa3dc3c160d46416.jpg

w

One way you could improve efficiency is by transferring the heat from the incoming natural gas to the crude oil after boiling it.  It can bring the oil most of the way to the boiling before you even reach the molten metal, which is less work for the molten metal as well as bringing the temperature of the natural gas down to a temperature it can safely be pumped.  I do this by running the crude oil through the hot natural gas until the natural gas is around 60 C, at which point I burn it. 

EDIT:  I do this with a long switchback of natural gas which takes a very long time to build, but it is far more efficient.

8 minutes ago, Moonshade said:

I think this shows that @CantBreathe was (somewhat obnoxiously) getting at - you're using automation on your central doors to close the doors, then afterwards with your filter gate reopen the middle door - thus creating a vacuum - or as Breathe said :

42 minutes ago, CantBreathe said:

You are using doors to crush gas into oblivion to create vacuums.

Personally I can't think of a better use of mechanical airlocks than for creating vacuums, and I often use the exact same method in my own builds - but some people consider it cheating/exploity (especially when being used to delete nuisance gasses, etc).

I think you created a nice little build bud, great work.

4 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

I think this shows that @CantBreathe was (somewhat obnoxiously) getting at - you're using automation on your central doors to close the doors, then afterwards with your filter gate reopen the middle door - thus creating a vacuum - or as Breathe said :

Personally I can't think of a better use of mechanical airlocks than for creating vacuums, and I often use the exact same method in my own builds - but some people consider it cheating/exploity (especially when being used to delete nuisance gasses, etc).

I think you created a nice little build bud, great work.

Predicting automation behavior is sometimes tricky just by looking, but as far as I can tell, OP was correct when he said this:

48 minutes ago, Moonshade said:

the gas doesnt get crushed to obvlivion. i sequence doors in a way that makes sure that doesnt happen

The doors close in sequence before re-opening the middle one. A vacuum is created, but no gas is deleted. So not only was @CantBreathebeing obnoxious, he was also just wrong.

6 minutes ago, Luminite2 said:

Predicting automation behavior is sometimes tricky just by looking, but as far as I can tell, OP was correct when he said this:

The doors close in sequence before re-opening the middle one. A vacuum is created, but no gas is deleted. So not only was @CantBreathebeing obnoxious, he was also just wrong.

That wasn't initially implied, and even if he does cycle them bottom to top, i'm still not technically wrong because of how the doors work.

Don't be a follower or a tool. @Luminite2

20180404132955_1.jpg

20180404133250_1.jpg

20180404133251_1.jpg

Is the resulting value the same as the initial value, yes or no?

Either way it doesn't matter. Drip cool, Borg cube, or vacuum mashing with doors, it's your game. (I really don't care)

My initial post was a statement about what do/don't do with my volcanos, which was my answer to your question OP.

You made my statement accusatory and became defensive. (why?)

I'm not wrong in any sense here, but you (and others) might need an ego check.

because i asked what people did do, not what they didnt do, i wasnt accusing i was merily confused and trying to understand what you were saying

edit: as for your question you have the the amount of hydrogen present is exactly the same before and after just on different places

Then there was a misunderstanding. Let's let it go?

To others, what you do or don't find obnoxious is irrelevant and off topic,

Check your sensibilities while we do science.

Edit: To your edit above, that's not true. Every tile in each section is the same. The initial values and result are not the same.

Do the tests, study the mechanics, and be sure before you open your mouth to defend yourself.

(I'm right you're wrong blah blah whatever.)

But the number is not 282, it's 281.9, math is absolute; that's why it's useful.

There is a direct correlation to the missing .6Kg of gas, and the 6 (or 12) tiles used in the transfer.

Why do you lie about or exaggerate the numbers? Let's move on.

Archived