only a week into the game. Could use some tips

image.thumb.png.f9c8ccdabbd0d68f29a6ccff87041c23.png

So I've been trying to get my priorities in line and such and I keep feeling like im messing up somewhere. First bit of advice i was given was I have too many algea terrariums. After that, not much. I feel like I need a stable farm so I can cultivate much more mealworm to make better food. I should get some more decor as well, or some tables for them to use. Am i at the point where I should look into coal/hydrogen generator(s) for my set up? Im trying to expand a little more so I can move stuff around and get more systems in place. (i need awater pump so I can start using the lavs and sinks. I was also told not to bother with showers right now.) And once I get that going, I probably want some basins to filter and sanitize water. 

Hello welcome to the game!

Algae terrarium is really hurt ur water resource and oxygen generation is really bad, use algae deoxydizer. 1 algae deoxydizer can make enough oxygen for 5 dupes(no mouth breather!!!). Algae is not infinite resource in starting biome. U need miners so u can dig in red purple biome to get some algae.

Mealwood is early good resource of food and try to cook liceloaf so u get more KCAL. But because of new seed drop change u kinda need more then one plant for food. Do not depend on mealwood u need to drop mealwood bcs they use dirt as fertilizer.

For generators try build them bit far from ur base. generators makes heat and heat up ur base. Try not to build lot of batteries if u want lot of them build smart batteries but building them require refined metal.

And careful with the polluted water oxygen and slimelung. GOOD LUCK

45 minutes ago, travaldofan said:

Hello welcome to the game!

Algae terrarium is really hurt ur water resource and oxygen generation is really bad, use algae deoxydizer. 1 algae deoxydizer can make enough oxygen for 5 dupes(no mouth breather!!!). Algae is not infinite resource in starting biome. U need miners so u can dig in red purple biome to get some algae.

Mealwood is early good resource of food and try to cook liceloaf so u get more KCAL. But because of new seed drop change u kinda need more then one plant for food. Do not depend on mealwood u need to drop mealwood bcs they use dirt as fertilizer.

For generators try build them bit far from ur base. generators makes heat and heat up ur base. Try not to build lot of batteries if u want lot of them build smart batteries but building them require refined metal.

And careful with the polluted water oxygen and slimelung. GOOD LUCK

So how would i got about building a farm? I think I have a fair amount of seeds laying around and im wonder how the best way to go about it is

6 minutes ago, Kabrute said:

I would have but I quit playing till the game is worth playing again....

What made you quit. For me it was borg cube exploit, for easy cooling of liquid. Why do things the hard way when it can be done the borg way.

1 hour ago, zachi2 said:

So how would i got about building a farm? I think I have a fair amount of seeds laying around and im wonder how the best way to go about it is

Here's a really simple early game bristle blossom farm set up that only requires tier 1 farming and tier 1 decor research.

This will work for many many cycles if you keep it away from hot machinery machinery. This base is at cycle 60.

Eventually I will need to address the slowly increasing heat and ideally switch to hydroponics to remove the need for manual watering. I've left space for a farming station in the center if I choose to build one.

Just start with something super simple to get some seeds and food coming in. Then as the game goes on you will start to see the potential issues and learn how to overcome them.

image.thumb.png.f904e49a2c76d61ab1380392b8a198a5.png

35 minutes ago, Tab1 said:

What made you quit. For me it was borg cube exploit, for easy cooling of liquid. Why do things the hard way when it can be done the borg way.

It was seeing the developers resort to using debug mode to try to get a base going...... then failing.....

13 minutes ago, Kabrute said:

It was seeing the developers resort to using debug mode to try to get a base going...... then failing.....

That concept does raise a concern for me as well, but that's not definitive of anything.  Knucklecracker, for example, makes fantastic games (Creeper World series), but watching him play on his YouTube channel....  truly cringe worthy.

1 hour ago, Tab1 said:

Why do things the hard way when it can be done the borg way

because at the end of the day, its all up to you how you play the game

well for me i just build what i want, recycling things, sometime i post it here then someone will just say "your using bug/exploit".
@zachi2, you'll encounter those exploit or bugs sooner or later and will be building with those exploits without even knowing it

Ok. Some tips out of my experience. Im not saying they are all efficient or the best but they worked for me at least.  Im 300 cycles in, 80+ hrs, so here it goes. BEWARE there are probably some spoilers ahead so if you want to find out how stuff works on your own do not read ahead.

0. SAVE. I thought this one should be obvious but sadly its not. Do save before opening new areas, doing experimental stuff etc

1. Showers waste precious starting water and provide no benefit and to top it all waste DUPE(duplicate) time so dont build them (yet).

2. Polluted water is a very (very) valuable RESOURCE. So, dont try to go for purification of PH20 to water. It is used in fertilizar makers to make natural gas to be used in naturnal gas generators (MID GAME). Just build a large enough(at least 64 tiles)tank for you PH20 so you dont have to worry about it filling up until later.

3. EXPLORE. and i mean it. the dupe can live w/o oxygen for a long time so explore as fast and as soon as you can. The main aim of exploring is to find natural gas and water geysers as well as ice biomes to get wheezewort and the location of AETNs.. But take care not to open areas with different gases in them such as chlorene or polluted oxygen until ur ready to deal with them.

4. Plan (at least a little) how your base would be i.e your initial power plant, your barracks, your dining room, greenhouse. There are significant bonuses to room allocation in ONI. 

5. Dont worry about slime too much. At start it looks quite intimidating but in the current build its not that frightening so do open up the slime biome if you have to.(U probably would have to at some point). Just keep an eye on the immune systems of your dupe, if it drops lower than 70 percent. Just stop all activities in the slime biome for the time being. The immune system will recover. Slime automaticaly diesin oxygen enriched areas so it will die off in 4-5 cycles at 70 percent immune system. The dupe dont even have to go to  the med bay for slime infection at 70 percent immune system speaking of which.

6. Build a med bay before you need it. U just need a med bed a table chair and an outhouse thats it. Your dupe might get hypothermia when in cold biome or may get a heat stroke in other biomes and get treated automatically in the med bay. Just set the med bed priority to 9.

7. For intial farming setup use meal wood in farming tiles easiest setup. They dont need light or water and can grow fairly rapidly. Just make your initial greenhouse in an area which won be heated up too much in the near future. Whenever possible do make a hydrophonics setup for farming bristle berry. and keep room for a farming station in that BB farming area.

8. Pirioritize research. Setup supercomputer and try to research all the time. Assign your highest learning attribute dupe to reasearch that way they will use minimum water for research. 

9. For early to mid game oxygen production use algae oxidizer and for late game Id suggest using electrolyzers but try to feed it water straight from the geyser dont use your cold water supply for electrolyzers. For mid game id recommend using the SPOM blueprint by ozinator or any other of your own simpler wheezwort build that gives out cool oxygen. Remember electrolyzer get warmed up fairly quickly and would heat up ur base with heated oxygen so do look for wheezewort before going for electrolyzers. 

10. Dont build algae terrariums they use a ton of water. Just setup the carbon skimmer to eliminate not only the CO2 but also give u that sweet sweet polluted water. Again it would be best that you use water straight from the geyser to your carbon skimmer and not use your cold water. CO2 is heavier than O2 so it will sink to the bottom of ur excavated area therefore its quite easier to manage.

11. For your power needs at first you would be totally dependant on coal plant. Dupe hamster wheel uses dupe time so limit its use to the very early game 20-30 cycles. You should really plan for larger naturnal gas plant. Look for any good natural gas plant blueprints, there are several. The power plant station uses refined metal so limit its use or dont build it at all.

12. Learn how the automation works in the game. It a real time and power saver. I used to use normal batteries now with power plant I exclusively use smart batteries with power plant and normal battery with transformers

13. Also learn some of the shortcut keys such as f6 for piping overlay and f7 for gas overlay ull be using a lot of it.

And im not posting any blueprints cus you be having a lot more fun building your own design and maybe sharing some here.

1 hour ago, Kabrute said:

I would have but I quit playing till the game is worth playing again....

Same here. While ONI turned into factorio and rimworld direction, i like to play them more then ONI.
ONI had other advantages then those games, but it's loosing unique potential for me.
Space engineers is my Nr1 now, ONI is at around place 7.. Even astoneers is ranking higher now for me.

@Tab1 So looking at your post I can bounces a few things around

Last night, and this morning, I made a 2 floor barracks, each having 5 beds and 5 paintings above it. I put in some airflow tiles so O2 can flow upwards into them and CO2 can flow down. I am down to 8 dupes now and I think i will keep it that way (one died by getting stuck on an island and I didnt realize it till too late)

to expand on the previous point, I also made a med bay with 2 beds, 2 outhouses and 2 table/chairs. One of my dupes got injured so ill be forcing him to relax.

I think im done with more of the "tier" 2/3 research but I can hop back on it. 

To expand on the the previous point. What jobs should be a  "1 dupe only" job? I know research is one. I think i heard art is another. I put 1 dupe on cooking as well

With farming, I kind of want to see where my base will be before i make a stacked farming layout. I might need to do some mealworm and some berry as I think i only have 10/11 seeds right now and dont want to put all my eggs in one basket. 

Biom wise, I have swamp right above me and to my right. I have the "hot" biom to my left and just regular below. Im going to start putting air locks in and maybe use gas pipping to start filtering out CO2 in case of awkward pressure. With the algae terreriums, Do I was to start deconstructing them and replacing them with deoxydisers or do I want to start planning a skimmers? Im only at cycle 50 I think.

I have a polluted water basin to the left of my base right now so once I find a way to get water flowing to my sinks and lavs it should start increasing. 

I do have insulated tiles, So I could start a coal plant above my base right now close to the slime biom. Just unsure how well it will hold up. 

1 hour ago, zachi2 said:

To expand on the the previous point. What jobs should be a  "1 dupe only" job? I know research is one. I think i heard art is another. I put 1 dupe on cooking as well

Early game, Cooking and Farming can both be single Dupe jobs.  But as your population grows, you will need to gradually expand both roles to keep your production slightly above your consumption.  The ratios will also shift as you move between different food sources, as food items all have different calorie outputs and take different amounts of time to process into the finished product.

Couple tips:

1) Seal up the your base with airlocks and walls.  Like from the top of the showers, to the bottom level where your research station is.  Get rid of those air vents on the bottom floor.  Instead create a VERTICAL airlock in teh center of your base where your ladder touches the bottom tile near the nice picture.  This will eliminate a lot of waste.  After you seal up your base your algae deoxidisers will become WAY more efficient, shutting down after they bring the pressure up.   That will save you algae and water.

2) The downside is that now CO2 will start to collect at the bottom level.  Eventually your dupes doing research will start panting because of high CO2.  That's when you open the trap door for a few minutes and let that nasty CO2 drain down into the lower part of the map.  ONce it's gone, Lock the door again.  If your dupes move through the airlock frequently you may not need to open it often, a little CO2 will drain out each time your dupes move through.  The more you dig/explore under your base the more room for the C02.  Eventually you will dig al the way down to the oil biome and slicksters will convert the CO2 into crude oil for the win.  You can get rid of all the algae terrariums, if needed put one on the bottom floor of your sealed base but set it to disabled unless you need it, which you probably won't.

3) When your base is sealed off move your Algae oxydisers to the center of your base, about 1/3 from the top spaced out on either side.  That's the most efficient design.    

4) Get your batteries out of your living area to the tippy top of your base, so their heat will rise away from you.  Build insulated tile underneath.

5) Get rid of the Compost thing and just create a polluted dirt container (priority 6 so they don't leave that stuff lying around)  inside the sealed room where you put your waste water.  The move the 02 Scrubber closer to the door to trap escaping polluted 02 when the dupes go in and out to drop off the yucky stuff.  Deal with the polluted dirt way later in the game like when you have slime.

6) Move your heat geneating things like hamster wheels and research stations and cooking stations closeer to the top of your base, (heat rises) like above your water source, and put a container next to them full of dirt.  That way they will have short to walk for water and dirt to the food and research stations.  If you have to haul something around, haul harvested food, not water and dirt.

7) Build tiles in the waterto push your liquid storage up two squares so the floor is on the same level as your bedroom.  A single layer of tile can hold water up to 4 tiles high so don't worry about leaking/bursting through, once you get the water to the high you want you can freely dig any tiles underneath the tank bottom.  Building tiles inside the water can be used to move water to exactly where you want it, and is relatively cheap and fast.

8) If you can, raise your room height to 4 squares, to make your base more uniform and give you more room for artwork which you could use in your bedrooms to get that stress down.  I make all levels in my base 4 squares high and just build and extra tile on the ceiling if I want a longer room.  That way everthing fits together neat.

9)  Remember, don't be afraid to deconstruct and re-construct an entire room or floor.  You don't lose any materials and it's much faster than digging, you could probably destroy and rebuild your entire base in a single day with the amount of dupes you have.  Only exception is moving full storage compactors.  That's a pain in the butt.

Anway it looks like you have a great start!

17 hours ago, Tab1 said:

Wow i really think someone should have made a guide for new players by now

There are a ton of guides out there. They go a bit stale each update though.

Begin self promotion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTceSEn69_w&list=PLHw_EJXYsdHiS8zkZKHC43VJPlqeyuCCy

End self promotion.

Take advantage of room bonuses to help reduce stress. Putting a door on your bedrooms would do the trick. See the room overlay for details.

1: Find a Good seed; for a VERY easy start for just learning, use 123921137 for a steam geyser to your right and a natural gas geyser to the bottom of spawn just outside the starting biome.

2: maintain "breathable" atmosphere, trying to avoid "very breathable" until you set up your geyser electrolyzer system.

3: No need to pre-cool the water going into the electrolyzers, they have a set temperature output.

4: On cooling geyser water, you only need to cool the water going into your farm.

5: maintain 3 dupes with high intelligence(5+) to start with, and have them learn the other skillsets over time.

6: don't bother with task management unless you have an emergency. utilize the priority system instead.

7: Set your outhouses and wash basins to priority 9. If you let an outhouse go too long without plunging, it spawns a slimelung emitting morb that can critically inhibit your efforts if not prepared. Later on, you can force these to spawn and create a polluted oxygen generator with 0 resource cost.

Slimelung is very dangerous. and will kill a dupe if not treated in a med bay room in 10 turns! I lost entire colonies because of that mishap.

8: Plan your pipes! every 5-6 pipes, add a pipe bridge to allow passthroughs later without spills, You can*currently* deconstruct these and not cause a liquid mess if you need to reroute a pipe later.

9: Polluted water is excellent and should only be purified if you absolutely need pure water to live.

1. Use 1: Cooling your batteries and powerplants; if you run a piping system into a water loop, you can use a small amount of polluted water to cool battery banks and coal generators. I recommend a cascading waterfall design. I use tempshift tiles on generators to avoid soggy feet debuff. Be sure to insulate the room with sandstone tiles(no need for abyss on anything except pipes) and be sure to build heavy-watt wires with some access plates to run them to power hungry devices like the Aquatuner and gas coolers.
    954C02012C5354B3D1E1912CFC6B5DEFBC6FB479
  2. Fertilizer synthesizer, creating natural gas and fertilizer for plants
  3. Metal Refinery cooling(temporary until you get to crude oil.) This will burn off the germs in it, and make it very hot. Best to run the heated water through a cold biome in Thermally reactive piping material.(cold biome is located just over the steam geyser and has 4 wheezeworts.
  4. There are other uses, but I'll let you discover them for yourself.

10: Build a farm with 12 plants for your three dupes. this will be enough to avoid starvation and minimize dirt needs.

11: Don't intentionally kill hatches!!  They may bite you, but they will quickly disengage, and your dupes will heal back up before you provoke the next hatch. This is useful because carbon dioxide is useful for bristle and mealwood farms.( maintains a constant pressure in case your oxygen generation isn't yet stable, and prevents the growth of germs in most cases.)  

I would honestly watch youtubers a bit.  Watch one of them start their colonies, see what they do, I would say this to help you start:

1. Build outhouses and wash basins.  This should be enclosed in a room to be a latrine.  It should have at least 2 outhouses and preferably room to expand.  If you want, you can get hatch in there to eat the waste and produce coal.
  2. Give your dupes jobs.
  3. Get a water source, but don't put your clean water reservoir directly under a ladder.  Eventually, something will go wrong and a dupe will mess and everyone will get food poisoning and blame that dupe.  Make it so if water does fall down that way, it doesn't flow in to the reservoir
  4. Research farming ASAP.  You will need to get mealwood up quickly.  I would also plant any bristle blossoms you find.
  5. If you are low on food, keep digging buried objects.  Very often they end up being muckroot, which you can eat.  Free meal.
  6. Always cook your food.  It increases the kcals of the food, which means you can feed more dupes with a smaller farm.  It also increases food quality, which reduces stress.
  7. Keep your living area clean.  Your dupes are not happy if they have to deal with giant chunks of rocks in their bedrooms.  It is a significant negative to decor.
  8. Make paintings in living areas.  Preferably out of granite.  If you take a creativity 3 dupe and give them the artist job, they will produce masterpieces.
  9. Avoid the slime biome until you are ready.  I know many of us are drawn to the lure of all that gold, but it is dangerous in there.  When you do enter, be sure to use doors to limit the number of dupes who can enter.
  10. There are is one trait you should avoid like the plague: Flatulent.  These dupes fill your base with natural gas, which is not good.  Avoid mouth breather and bottomless stomach.  Small bladder is kind of a blessing in disguise, as they produce more polluted water.
  11. If you wish to keep the nasty gases out, use a CO2 lock.  They might leak CO2 on either side, but they will keep the chlorine out of your base and the O2 in.
19 hours ago, Kabrute said:

I've never had to use debug mode to get a base going.  The way you start your base is different now.  It's certainly harder without the mealwood spam and how slow the farms grow at the beginning.  The only thing I use debug mode for is moving bottled gases that are sometimes left on the floor, which you can't move in any other reasonable way.  (I could make a door conveyor, but that is ridiculous.)

1 hour ago, Zarquan said:

I've never had to use debug mode to get a base going.  The way you start your base is different now.  It's certainly harder without the mealwood spam and how slow the farms grow at the beginning.  The only thing I use debug mode for is moving bottled gases that are sometimes left on the floor, which you can't move in any other reasonable way.  (I could make a door conveyor, but that is ridiculous.)

@Kabrute's point is that as developer's of the game, they should be intimately familiar with the game's mechanics.  At least 1 person on the team (hopefully more like 50%+) should be able to get as far as Electrolyzers without any stumbling blocks.  Without the use of Debug mode.  While I haven't watched any of the streams, I have heard this for the last couple updates, that not only are they using Debug mode to demo the new things, but that they are struggling pretty heavily to do even that.

Setting aside the ability to play the game effectively piece for a minute...  They should already have a demo map set up before they start the stream.  Something they have planned for ahead of time, and have pre-built some or even most of it before airtime.  The fact that they don't do this suggests a lack of professionalism, an inability to plan effectively, and leaves the viewer wondering how rushed the content really was if it can't be demo'd effectively.

Not to mention the general concern that, since they "can't play their own game", they don't really understand it or the systems within it, and how they interact, and as such can't make effective decision with regards to balance and future content updates.  Take that with a grain of salt, though, because as I attempted to convey in my previous post, it's not always indicative.

6 hours ago, PhailRaptor said:

@Kabrute's point is that as developer's of the game, they should be intimately familiar with the game's mechanics.  At least 1 person on the team (hopefully more like 50%+) should be able to get as far as Electrolyzers without any stumbling blocks.  Without the use of Debug mode.  While I haven't watched any of the streams, I have heard this for the last couple updates, that not only are they using Debug mode to demo the new things, but that they are struggling pretty heavily to do even that.

Setting aside the ability to play the game effectively piece for a minute...  They should already have a demo map set up before they start the stream.  Something they have planned for ahead of time, and have pre-built some or even most of it before airtime.  The fact that they don't do this suggests a lack of professionalism, an inability to plan effectively, and leaves the viewer wondering how rushed the content really was if it can't be demo'd effectively.

Not to mention the general concern that, since they "can't play their own game", they don't really understand it or the systems within it, and how they interact, and as such can't make effective decision with regards to balance and future content updates.  Take that with a grain of salt, though, because as I attempted to convey in my previous post, it's not always indicative.

I honestly don’t understand you guys, stop hijacking a thread of a new player trying to get tips to complain about the developers. Please start your own thread.

On 3/5/2018 at 5:09 AM, Oozinator said:

Same here. While ONI turned into factorio and rimworld direction, i like to play them more then ONI.
ONI had other advantages then those games, but it's loosing unique potential for me.
Space engineers is my Nr1 now, ONI is at around place 7.. Even astoneers is ranking higher now for me.

I liked astroneers but for me, it was "play once and done."  I have played many ONI games.

Archived