I miss Aquatic tile

Anyone else miss this block?

I just planted a farm tile that is submerged in polluted water hopping my reed fiber would get fed without needing to run a pump to it.

Sadly nope.

I did do this how ever.

I know I could have ran the water right to the hydro farm tiles.

But if you let to much go to them, they seem to just drink like crazy, i found with hydro tile, you can use a valve at 300g/s to keep them happy.

But I thought i would try this to see how it works as a way to also manage the extra drainage I need to keep the bathrooms cycling, heh.

reed solutiona.jpg

2 minutes ago, PhailRaptor said:

I did like it, but for JUST the Thimble Reeds, it doesn't make sense.  There would need to be more plants able to use it for it to make sense.

true, but they already had it developed and working, so why not just leave it and give the players more flexibility?

1 hour ago, MythN7 said:

true, but they already had it developed and working, so why not just leave it and give the players more flexibility?

Redundant features pollute the UI and require maintenance when things change. It's a bad idea to keep things in just because they are already in.

Especially for something like thimble reed, which you never need to farm since the wild ones will produce enough resources anyway.

20 minutes ago, Coolthulhu said:

Redundant features pollute the UI and require maintenance when things change. It's a bad idea to keep things in just because they are already in.

Especially for something like thimble reed, which you never need to farm since the wild ones will produce enough resources anyway.

Ya, true.

2 hours ago, Coolthulhu said:

Also, creating items / features to be deleted later is an integral part of the development of a game, so it's not uncommon for early acces games, to have things that wouldn't make it to the release update.

Sometime, the devs should create things to fill empty niches, and they could make some workarounds to solve that situation until a more polished feature takes it's place. Also, sometimes things didn't work as expected, so they might be deleted o be reeplaced.

I'm genuinely surprised anyone bothers growing thimble reeds.  They're plentiful in number and limited in use.  Even if you want to grow them for aesthetic reasons, the two day growing cycle (one day with a farming station) means your dupes are going to constantly wasting time harvesting these things.

I wonder if they are ever going to make it so that the suits have to be replaced periodically.  That would keep thimble reeds in need.  Or have something else you can make with them.  Wall hanging for decor or something like that. 

1 minute ago, Amara313 said:

I wonder if they are ever going to make it so that the suits have to be replaced periodically.  That would keep thimble reeds in need.  Or have something else you can make with them.  Wall hanging for decor or something like that. 

how about crafting dolls and teddy bears to keep stress down while dupes sleep? 

1 minute ago, Neotuck said:

how about crafting dolls and teddy bears to keep stress down while dupes sleep? 

Or perhaps turn it into a type of cultivatable soil? Like a replacement for dirt for if dirt runs out?

The reeds could be ground up into something like sawdust or organic fiber to make potting soil or something. Then use that to make more farm tiles or sprinkle onto mealwood plants if you really need it.

Just now, Rossum said:

Or perhaps turn it into a type of cultivatable soil? Like a replacement for dirt for if dirt runs out?

The reeds could be ground up into something like sawdust or organic fiber to make potting soil or something. Then use that to make more farm tiles or sprinkle onto mealwood plants if you really need it.

dirt is already renewable 

They should add in wallpaper, which acts like temp-shift plates (uses the background buildings layer so you can't use both at the same time), and requires thimble reeds to make. Maybe they could add in some new structure that allows you to make dyes out of other items (like red from balm lilies, blue from mushrooms, green from something else), maybe which requires an artist to use it. If 3 ingredients mixed with something else create primary colors, you could mix those to create secondary and perhaps tertiary colors that could be mixed with reed fiber to create wallpaper.

Boom. Extra uses for a bunch of stuff and the inclusion of the ability to decorate our bases a little more.

One thing I would like to note about thimble reed is that it is one of the few replantable plants.  If you drop a seed on a tile and leave it, it will become a thimble reed plant in a few cycles (I'm not sure on exactly how many, but its less than 10.)  This makes wild thimble reed, which requires no polluted water to grow, thus it ends up giving you free reed fiber every 8 cycles.  I just plant 8 of them in the bottom of my base and get on average 1 reed fiber a day. 

I hope one day we will have clothing checkpoints, where you put on the warm sweater to go in to the cold biome and take it off when you leave.

Do Hatches eat Reed Fiber?  Or do they ignore it like how they ignore Seeds?  Because if they do eat it, that would be a great way to feed them indefinitely.  If slowly, because I believe Reed Fiber has a low mass, so it would take a lot of it to sustain Coal Generators.

1 hour ago, PhailRaptor said:

Do Hatches eat Reed Fiber?  Or do they ignore it like how they ignore Seeds?  Because if they do eat it, that would be a great way to feed them indefinitely.  If slowly, because I believe Reed Fiber has a low mass, so it would take a lot of it to sustain Coal Generators.

No they won't eat reed fibers.  They won't eat balm lily flowers either.  Its a nice thought though.  Unfortunately, even if they did, reed fibers (and balm lilies) only weigh 1 kg each, so you would only get that much coal.  It would take 96 reed fibers (wild) to support 1 coal generator.  Or 72 domestic balm lilies. 

Archived