Jump to content

Full automated water recycler


Recommended Posts

Hi Community,

its the first time since years that i really have to use logical gates. At first the automation update seemed like a dissapointment to me, but i learn slowly to use those features and i have a lot of fun with it.

 

Here is my full automated water recycler (rebuilded in debug mode for a better and cleaner overview)

 

Left is your poluted water tank, mid is the recycler and right the clean water tank.

The germ sensor is set to active if above 5000 germs (feel free to lower it)

The temp sensor is set to active if temp below 70° C

The top hydro sensor is set to active if above 500kg

The bottom hyro sensor is set to active if above 10kg

 

Tepedizer will activate if: 

Temp under 70° (is the water to cold)

AND top hydro above 500 kg (is the tank full enough)

AND Germ over 5000 (is there something to kill off)

 

Pump will activate if:

Bottom hydro above 10kg (is something to pump here)

AND Germ under 5000

 

If both are deactivated the doors will open to let new poluted water in.

Doors will not open if:

Tepedizer on

OR Pump on

 

Switch on the left pump is not necessary, just for emergency.

20180212143334_1.thumb.jpg.ab8a4637d8882897b5e08afb26ba5b16.jpg

20180212143351_1.thumb.jpg.dde4ae0a5c5e674e1adee54730739438.jpg

20180212143412_1.thumb.jpg.4b42f9f1c79e25d3176e51cf14f07670.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Why don't you use Slimelung to kill the germs? Much more energy efficient than heating the water, even more though since you won`t need a potential cooling system to get the water back down to reasonable temperatures (irrigation).

 

You could swap the Tepidizer with an Algae Distiller and simply pump in polluted water with Slimelung. Once all of the food poisoning germs have died off, let the water stand around for a few cycles and the Slimelung will disappear. If you really want to go full automation you could even try to feed the Distiller with conveyor belts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Lacost said:

Why don't you use Slimelung to kill the germs? Much more energy efficient than heating the water, even more though since you won`t need a potential cooling system to get the water back down to reasonable temperatures (irrigation).

 

You could swap the Tepidizer with an Algae Distiller and simply pump in polluted water with Slimelung. Once all of the food poisoning germs have died off, let the water stand around for a few cycles and the Slimelung will disappear. If you really want to go full automation you could even try to feed the Distiller with conveyor belts.

1. The temp isnt that awful from this system, because the water sieve destroy heat and output at 40°C (ofc still warm)

2. tbh i didnt know i can kill of food poisoning with slimelung

Until today i never used the algae distiller. Does it output polluted water and algae infected with slimelung or is the algae clean?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Moggles said:

Cool. For more automation add some conveyor tech for sand delivery and polluted dirt extraction.

Coming soon : ).

Didnt touched the conveyor belts yet. Had to much trouble yesterday to keep my colony alive, overheated my farm with hot water .... classic :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, WhatTheDuck said:

Does it output polluted water and algae infected with slimelung or is the algae clean?

 

Algae Distillers output polluted water infected with Slimelung and algae also infected with Slimelung. You have to lock away the infected algae since your Dupes happily put them in the Algae Deoxydizers and kill your colony with that action (only on miserable/fatalistic).

 

I think the Slimelung-water-thing could be a bug because the food poisoning germs are simply deleted if slimelung-water drips down into the storage tank. I once killed 3,000,000 food poisoning germs in a huge tank with only one Algae Distiller over a couple of cycles. Heating that tank would have cost enormous amounts of heat and time.

 

It is realistic though since Slimelung also contains various fungi which could produce antibiotics (like penicillin). Antibiotics should rapidly kill any food poisoning germs around and aren't particularly toxic for human consumption. So this bug might be working as intended.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, TheScaryOne said:

A single sieve can keep up with 5kg/s water, two is kinda overkill except to match the flow of a pump. You'd be far better off cooling oil in aquatuners to boil off your PW to get dirt and steam. Deletes a lot of heat in the conversion and no germs.

To match the flow of the pump was the one condition i tried to match^^.

You mean i should submerge the aquatuner in my PW, so i dont waste energy for useless heating with the tepedizer, instead i cool something valueable with it? 

On the other hand when i start to kill of the first germs in my polluted water tank i m far away from using oil and aquatuners, on the other hands side  i m also far away from automation devices ^^. **** i was so proud of my water recycler 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, WhatTheDuck said:

You mean i should submerge the aquatuner in my PW, so i dont waste energy for useless heating with the tepedizer, instead i cool something valueable with it? 

Exactly. PW is a non issue in my bases for a long time, I'd just throw it in a room with deodorizers and suck up all that clean air with a pump. You'll also need it for Thimble Reeds, and the temp of early wastewater should be perfect, after the sieve it's too hot and needs cooling.

If you don't have oil yet, you can also use it to cool some geyser water for farming, which is more of an issue in the new update. Most of the worldgens I've gotten have plenty of starting water, but right now I'm on a hard one with three small pockets.

The tepidizer has a place, but IMHO like the space heater vs thermoregulator it's best to dump heat from other things instead of generating it at the cost of electricity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, WhatTheDuck said:

 **** i was so proud of my water recycler 

I guess it is still one of the best designs for automated heat treatment of waste water.

 

The general issue is that waste water treatment in the current build is simply not a thing that has to be done. Since Dupes don't need to shower the amount of waste water is really small. I usually build a medium sized tank and store waste water in it for hundreds of cycles without the need to purify it. This even amplifies if you go full exosuit since your Dupes only rarely use the toilets (if at all).

Once waste water treatment becomes a thing for you, you should be in super late game where all the tech is available for you. This is why using it as a coolant for geyser water (for instance) is so often suggested.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You guys play all without showers?.... even if they are inefficient i would still build them, just because of realism and i would feel uncomfortable without it, do you also avoid lavatory and use outhouse instead? I need to recycle every few cycle my PW storage to fresh water.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yea, I use showers/sinks/lavs too. Eventually (once I find a gas geyser) I just put base plumbing in a loop through a sieve to recycle it. No one cares that the water is 40* c, just make sure to use abyssalite pipe because your base does. You'll also need to put in a burst valve to deal with the excess of PW created in the lavs or the loop will eventually fill up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just a note on using warm water for amenities: using abyssalite pipes will prevent heat transferrance while the water is in transit, but when the water is used by the amendity, the water will heat it up. It's a small amount if the amendity isn't used constantly, but it can easily build up to 30 degrees, and plants / crops will start to wilt

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I heat and then boil polluted water to get steam and dirt while cooling the condensed water and a part of the geyser water to get hot water for sinks and showers (around 40°C) and cold water for bristle berries (17°C) and sleet wheat (3°C).

Before the current update I've added sinks and showers because pincha peppernut plants were so thirsty that I was running out of polluted water. As of the current update it seems that I can reduce the number of peppernut plants by 30% or even more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12.2.2018 at 4:27 PM, WhatTheDuck said:

You guys play all without showers?.... even if they are inefficient i would still build them, just because of realism and i would feel uncomfortable without it, do you also avoid lavatory and use outhouse instead? I need to recycle every few cycle my PW storage to fresh water.

Showers are abysmal! Not only are they completely redundant, they actively waste time from your Dupes.

 

If you work with water airlocks your Dupes will get wet and instantly want to shower to get rid of the Sopping-Wet debuff. This means that your Dupes will constantly shower non-stop to remove a debuff that lasts for 0,2 cycles.

 

Showers waste purified water and valuable Dupe working time for no benefit at all. I would consider showers to be useful if they would give a strong stress relief bonus but at the current state: Do not use showers at all!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/13/2018 at 10:51 PM, Lacost said:

Showers are abysmal! Not only are they completely redundant, they actively waste time from your Dupes.

 

If you work with water airlocks your Dupes will get wet and instantly want to shower to get rid of the Sopping-Wet debuff. This means that your Dupes will constantly shower non-stop to remove a debuff that lasts for 0,2 cycles.

 

Showers waste purified water and valuable Dupe working time for no benefit at all. I would consider showers to be useful if they would give a strong stress relief bonus but at the current state: Do not use showers at all!

Doesnt shower removes all germs on dupe skins as it says that in the help text. For example when a dupe dives in a polluted water tank infested with slimlung/food poisioning germs..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

×
×
  • Create New...