How to implement 10W no power detector

9 minutes ago, kouromaro said:

my system still have the pump working all the time

If the valve has electricity, liquid will pass through the valve. Liquid pressure of sensor is low.

When the pressure of sensor is high, which means the valve has no electricity, be sure your pump and all your generators are working in that time.

Change the automation to this

image.thumb.png.e1b3b3b82f43c11eba58195d05e63603.png

The automation switch keeps the shut off valve open until power is lost. When power is lost water drip out and trigger the hydro switch set to above 20kg or so. This signal is used to turn on something else. Like a generator.

11 hours ago, Saturnus said:

Note the power consumption with 100g/s valve setting is 0W. Not 10W.

I'm pretty certain at this point that neither of the shutoff valves consume power no matter the amount of liquid or gas passing through them.  At least, I've never seen the interface show anything other then 0W / 10W for them.  Which pretty much means they'll run as along as there's any source of power on the system they're attached, even if that generator is clearly not providing enough power to run the other things on the system.  Maybe tomorrow I'll test to see if they actually take power from a battery or not.

Shutoff1.thumb.jpg.ce97522e1bb9b2952b3ba4fbb3342426.jpg

In any case, here's my own particular setup of the battery sensor @kouromaro  The buffer and filter gate that you see there after the hydro sensor is a timer and it basically prevents the mini liquid pump from running for a short time to give the generators time to partially charge the batteries.  I like this approach as the up-time for the generators is then adjustable to a degree.

BatterySensor1.thumb.jpg.2ca85d1fafcbef36dfd347472dc2765f.jpg

And a close up.  As the other's mentioned, the mini pump sucks up most of the water in the tank and the water gets stuck in the loop due to the shutoff valve.  Once the shutoff valve no longer sees any power on the electric network its on, the water then bypasses to the vent where it gets detected by the hydro-switch which then reactivates the generators.

BatterySensor2.thumb.jpg.c14d6339682eaea8b3663450dcf8b385.jpg

9 hours ago, The Flying Fox said:

I'm pretty certain at this point that neither of the shutoff valves consume power no matter the amount of liquid or gas passing through them.

I hadn't tested it before but did with the 100g/s flow. And it showed 0W consumption on a battery. I retested it with full flow rate and you're right. Shut off valves do not consume power at all. Regardless of flow rate.

I was probably seeing false positives before because I often combine shut off valves with indication lights which does consume power. I do this so I can look in the lights overlay to see how often and which systems are turning on.

I can confirm that shutoff valves do not consume any power. But they stop working if there is 0J of power on the network - but it has to be true 0, not "flickering" 0.

You can utilize that to have a 0 power backup without that pump, though it does require the "limited" generators to be behind a transformer - the transformer will empty the battery on that part of the network before other batteries, the generators will get some fuel, then the valve will shut off. This results in no overproduction, though it's a bit "flickery".

15 hours ago, The Flying Fox said:

I'm pretty certain at this point that neither of the shutoff valves consume power no matter the amount of liquid or gas passing through them.  At least, I've never seen the interface show anything other then 0W / 10W for them.  Which pretty much means they'll run as along as there's any source of power on the system they're attached, even if that generator is clearly not providing enough power to run the other things on the system.  Maybe tomorrow I'll test to see if they actually take power from a battery or not.

From what I can tell, the 10w is the power necessary to change the state of the shutoff valve. I see their draw when they're switching from one state to the other.  On a related note, on power failure they switch to closed.  So perhaps its a bug and they're supposed to draw power while open.  IDK.

3 hours ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

From what I can tell, the 10w is the power necessary to change the state of the shutoff valve. I see their draw when they're switching from one state to the other.  On a related note, on power failure they switch to closed.  So perhaps its a bug and they're supposed to draw power while open.  IDK.

Figured I'd test this just to make sure, but no.  This does not appear to be the case either.

Shutoff2.thumb.jpg.4f8d5fe463990e0fa69622645f6ec12a.jpg

Made this simple setup.  Partially charged a battery with a Dupe on a wheel,let some air into the loop, then shut off the power to the battery.  No charge lost in the battery just letting it run.  (I had hooked an automation switch to the valve first)  No power lost from the battery as the air looped.  I then flipped the automation switch rapidly for a while, then I put on one of these simple timer circuits to automate flipping the valve on and off.  Still, no power was lost from the battery.  Suppose it's a bug.

I fixed it yesterday. At first I thought the shutoff is to block the pipe, stopping the pump. Understood now that the pump is to make the small amount of water loop around the pipes.

Thanks a ton guys.

I ended up making two of the setup to use with an SR latch. Works beautifully.

When I get back to the game I would want to share the current implementation with you all for any further upgrade suggestions.

Archived