tempshift plate material

What material do you use for your tempshift plate?

I find I have 2 use cases, temperature stability, and heat pipe. 

For my electrolyzers I like to hit 23°C and keep it as close to that as possible.  So I use a high specific heat material. It only needs a thermo coefficient as good as hydrogen as I don't keep any liquid in that room.  Turns out dirt works great for this! It's thermo coefficient isn't quite as high as hydrogen, but it has high specific heat and it's abundant.

In other areas I need to move heat quickly from point a to point b. A good example is plastic production, but any high heat producer makes sense too. Here we want low specific heat and high thermo coefficient to move the heat really quickly.  All the refined metals work wonders, tungsten being the best, but I found diamond works really well too. There's no other use for diamonds that I know of, so it's pretty perfect for this role.

16 hours ago, donutman07 said:

Diamond or Tungsten... Nothing more, nothingless.

I just use those to distribute cooling and heat, rather than compressing them into one area. I honestly have no idea how tempshift plates work:p All I know they're pretty useful in cooling areas (given they're build near a cold area, wheezewort chamber per ex.)

19 hours ago, OfficialLolicon said:

Diamond or Tungsten... Nothing more, nothingless.

I just use those to distribute cooling and heat, rather than compressing them into one area. I honestly have no idea how tempshift plates work:p All I know they're pretty useful in cooling areas (given they're build near a cold area, wheezewort chamber per ex.)

Tungsten and diamond plates are really good at keeping a stable and evenly spread out temperature over a room. They can store heat pretty well and exchange heat very well.

19 hours ago, donutman07 said:

I find I have 2 use cases, temperature stability, and heat pipe. 

For my electrolyzers I like to hit 23°C and keep it as close to that as possible.  So I use a high specific heat material. It only needs a thermo coefficient as good as hydrogen as I don't keep any liquid in that room.  Turns out dirt works great for this! It's thermo coefficient isn't quite as high as hydrogen, but it has high specific heat and it's abundant.

In other areas I need to move heat quickly from point a to point b. A good example is plastic production, but any high heat producer makes sense too. Here we want low specific heat and high thermo coefficient to move the heat really quickly.  All the refined metals work wonders, tungsten being the best, but I found diamond works really well too. There's no other use for diamonds that I know of, so it's pretty perfect for this role.

I never even thought about using dirt. Your use-case sounds good since you just want a stable temperatuture over a small area. I'am still wondering what can be done with abyssalite plates, Allthough isn't it theoretically better to just use diamond or any other more conductive material? The tempshift plates have so much mass anyways. But the nice thing is that dirt is so *cheap*. Certainly better than nothing for any area where you just want some additional stability, like berry, pepper and wheat farms.

Just now, clickrush said:

Tungsten and diamond plates are really good at keeping a stable and evenly spread out temperature over a room. They can store heat pretty well and exchange heat very well.

Too bad diamonds are very rare.. 

Wait, Tempshift plates can store heat? I thought they just distribute it to balance temperature in a small area around it.

47 minutes ago, OfficialLolicon said:

Too bad diamonds are very rare.. 

Wait, Tempshift plates can store heat? I thought they just distribute it to balance temperature in a small area around it.

once you can get diamonds its certainly a good choice.  tempshift plates hold heat just like any other building.  They just interact with a 3x3 area even though they only take up 1x1.  This, a high mass, and a good material, helps them move heat quickly.

for temperature stability though, dirt can hold about 11x as much heat as tungsten. Tungsten will move heat across a room much more quickly and thus evenly.  However, the 11x total heat will help resist temperature changes better I think.  You might even interleave them for maximum effect or something crazy.

1 hour ago, OfficialLolicon said:

All objects store a quantity of heat relative to their mass.  That's how Heat Capacity works.  I think Shift Plates have the highest mass out of any construct-able object in the game, so depending on what material you use to construct them they can be very, very, VERY good at storing thermal energy.

41 minutes ago, clickrush said:

I started to build dirt plates in every region where I care about a stable temperature now because of you!

Then I wondered about the melting point of the material and it shows 329.7C. What does it become when melted though?

Pretty sure dirt becomes sand, and sand becomes glass if you continue down the chain

Everything I don't want to use / build storage for. Surrounding your base with random tempshift plates is a great way to get rid of clutter, burns through tons of material really quickly while training the dupes. I also hoped it would help me keep heat more evenly distributed and stable. No idea if it does.

In places where it - theoretically - might really matter, I tend to put diamond too spread or diamond & dirt in a checkers patters to keep stable. I like to imagine that it helps. If it indeed does, I can't tell.

Important note: thermo plates don't interact with each other, only with gases, liquids, undug solids, tiles and doors. Nothing else.

So if you want to spread temperature fast, you need to bridge the plates with tiles and doors. This will greatly increase the temperature transfer compared to using non-hydrogen gases.

I dont see why everyone is saying to use diamond or tungsten yes they are the best but there are things that need large amounts of mass like poweplants for those things the best you can use is granite because of how much you actually have.

Archived