Boarior Technique

Endrew

So the other day I got onto an really experienced game as Maxwell. Well, we forgot Wilson but we decided to go through with it anyway. We made it to the boarior and defeated the pit pig rush. Then things went south. I kept dying. Even though I had the splint armor I kept on dying and weighing the team down. We ended up losing the round towards the very end and I felt terrible about it. How does one fight the boarior as maxwell without instantly dying to the unavoidable ground rip attack?

Don't be melee. Maxwell has extremely low health, what you need to do is what any ranged attacker needs to do, which is stay away from the front of the Boarrior

If the tanks are diong their job, they should be sitting in a spot fighting him until the heal circle pops up. The Boariorr sends out that straight ground rip attack directly ahead of him, so you don't ever want to stand behind a tank and fight, because then you're in range

now the Boarrior does turn to do the ground rip attack at the DPS occasionally, and the main thing to do is stay away from other DPS so that you aren't bunched up, that way only 1 person is hit at a time, and when you see him turn immediately go to the side and farther away from him. For me, this puts me out of its range, even if it was aimed directly at me. 

I always stand at the limit of where i can to reach him, and if he turns away from the tanks i back up at once to make sure i'm not hit by any attack

23 minutes ago, Jynn said:

Don't be melee. Maxwell has extremely low health, what you need to do is what any ranged attacker needs to do, which is stay away from the front of the Boarrior

If the tanks are diong their job, they should be sitting in a spot fighting him until the heal circle pops up. The Boariorr sends out that straight ground rip attack directly ahead of him, so you don't ever want to stand behind a tank and fight, because then you're in range

now the Boarrior does turn to do the ground rip attack at the DPS occasionally, and the main thing to do is stay away from other DPS so that you aren't bunched up, that way only 1 person is hit at a time, and when you see him turn immediately go to the side and farther away from him. For me, this puts me out of its range, even if it was aimed directly at me. 

I always stand at the limit of where i can to reach him, and if he turns away from the tanks i back up at once to make sure i'm not hit by any attack

I wasn't doing melee. I had the inferno staff and the clairvoyant crown and tried to run out and to the side whenever he did the rip attack. Even when the thing wasn't even touching me, it still stunned and killed me all the same.

Wait for your tanks to engage first. Whoever hits it first is going to draw agro, so let the guys who's job is to take damage, take the damage. Secondly, spread out. Don't be directly behind a tank or next to anyone else. He could use his ground rip attack and hit multiple people at once causing more damage being spread across your party. If for whatever reason he dose end up facing you, run to the side so you'll have a chance to dodge the attack,

That's pretty much everything I do as Maxwell (or any ranged dps) and I don't get hit all too often.

Wow not even "git gud". Forge made some of you lose hope for other people I see. Telling a guy to get someone good instead of telling him how to become good lolz.

When you are not tank, make sure you dont take aggro and avoid attacks from boarrior. its better to do less damage potentially than do some dmg and then risk dying because you attacked too soon. Basically ask yourself "Am I safe here?" if yes then attack if no then do things to make sure you are safe. Also sacrifice yourself for the healer even if you are maxwell but the healer needs to know what to do. But that goes for every role.

Maxwell even with log armor won't die to the ground rip AOE at full hp, so as long as you get healed up when boarrior gets put to sleep it should be OK. If you're at low HP consider just backing off for a minute 'til the next heal- although if there's a wilson, as long as you'd be the only dead person it doesn't matter and you can just keep attacking. (unless you want that sweet no death exp)

As others have said, make sure not to stand behind tanks (as they're most likely targets for the aoe) and don't bunch up with others. Sometimes the boarrior will just decide he hates specifically you, though, it happens. I know yesterday I had a match where I was fire staff willow and it felt like he attacked me about as much as the tanks.

Also worth considering that right after a meteor, his aggro is gonna be on you. It generally gets pulled off in moments by a tank, but there's a slightly higher chance of getting attacked there.

Although honestly, if a Wilson isn't in the party, anyone who gets revived is gonna be one hit from death. It's a vicious cycle.

I feel like every post about the Boarrior implies this but no one ever says it explicitly.

You CANNOT be targeted by the Boarrior's shockwave (ground rip, whatever you wanna call it) attack if you're standing at max range or melee range.

Shockwaves will only target people that are in the section between melee range and max range. There are then only 3 instances where a ranged character should be hit if you know how to stand at max range:

1. Another character runs in front of you
  2. You don't reposition when the Boarrior moves (even a little bit)
  3. You move in to cast a spell (Heal, meteor, petrify)

The first point can be counteracted by telling your teammates not to run around the boss, and fall back if/when they do.

The second point is relatively obvious. Just back up a bit (or a lot, if he charges) whenever you notice the Boarrior move a little.

The third point can be counteracted by placing the very tip of the spell circle on the Boarrior. Meteor users can do this quite easily, but for healers it's a bit different in phase 3 when the Boarrior starts charging. What I do is position myself behind the melee who has aggro when my heal is ready, and place the very tip on the Boarrior. That way, if no one cancels boarrior's charge attack when the heal is going up, he'll charge, but still be in the heal.

It's also worth noting that the window between "max range" and "not max range" is very small. It takes some getting used to to be able to place spell circles without taking shockwaves to the face.

Archived