I used carbon skimmer with atmo switch, before AU. Howto now?

2 minutes ago, goboking said:

Running them intermittently reduces power consumption and heat generation.

O.o Heat generation? Carbon skimmers destroy heat as their output polluted water temperature is fixed it will automatically cool itself down and destroy heat. Unless you have it running in a low temp sensitive area but that would just be using it wrong in my opinion.

I love those threads where one is asking "HOW TO" and all are just commenting like "why do u want to do that?".

There are reasons. But first to the answer:

Use an atmo-switch and connect it to an power-switch on the grid of your skimmer (where u would have placed atmo-switch before).

u can now just check the atmosphere wherever u want and control the switch elsewhere.

As to the reason WHY to use it:

- thats just one example:

i have a special co2 room for destroying co2 from my NG generators.

if the skimmers would run ALL the time, they would overheat, since their produced heat would not be transferred to the thin air (and even not to the poll water).
drop cooling pith polluted water would produce poll.O2 and normal water would vaporize soon, since the skimmer would heat up.

Using a 1-2KG CO2 atmosphere ensures, that the produced heat gets transferred to the air and THEN gets destroyed with this air.
so they dont even reach 70°C at any time

4 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

Unless you need the polluted water, I normally just solidify my CO2 with a wheezewort setup, although since OI it generally goes to my slicksters nowadays.

If you're using a pitcher pump in magma and bottle emptier set up to convert crude oil to natural gas and then feed the CO2 generated back to the slicksters then be just be mindful that you have to skim some of the CO2 away as you're creating a surplus of oil. Naturally you'd have to run a pretty long time to completely flood the map with crude oil but it's a risk :D

57 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

If you're using a pitcher pump in magma and bottle emptier set up to convert crude oil to natural gas and then feed the CO2 generated back to the slicksters then be just be mindful that you have to skim some of the CO2 away as you're creating a surplus of oil. Naturally you'd have to run a pretty long time to completely flood the map with crude oil but it's a risk :D

Honestly have never done that setup, but it sounds fun :D I've never had the need to generate additional natural gas once I've utilised/balanced all my polluted water elsewhere.

I do like to make lots of plastic and then burn through my oil in generators though :) 

Thank you all. Nice comments :)
I use now liquid valve, to regulate it.
Have a small locked room, where carbon skimmer is located, with high pressure vent (overpressure regulating) from the NG - CO²
It's used to never ovverload my battery banks, to hold their lifespan up (Tier 7 leadbased battery tech)..
Atmo switch was cool, to switch circuits on off, without dupes, when base is big.

I've connected my carbon skimmers to an atmo switch as a failsafe. If slicksters are not enough or carbon dioxide condensation doesn't work for any reason, the pressure in my carbon dioxide tank raises and carbon skimmers starts running above 2kg/tile of pressure. This failsafe is really important.  I already had a problem with my carbon dioxide tank becoming full (20kg/tile) and this has important consequences as it prevents the natural gas generators to run and the whole colony is subject to a power shortage. I'm more confident with this failsafe there.

7 minutes ago, Cilya said:

I've connected my carbon skimmers to an atmo switch as a failsafe. If slicksters are not enough or carbon dioxide condensation doesn't work for any reason, the pressure in my carbon dioxide tank raises and carbon skimmers starts running above 2kg/tile of pressure. This failsafe is really important.  I already had a problem with my carbon dioxide tank becoming full (20kg/tile) and this has important consequences as it prevents the natural gas generators to run and the whole colony is subject to a power shortage. I'm more confident with this failsafe there.

Enter... door compression. Run your CO2 tank to literally 100000kg/tile.

Yeah I know. I'm not confortable with this solution. I would call it cheaty if it wasn't so complicated to build (at least, more complicated than a tank with a skimmer and a power shutoff) and a bit expensive power wise, for a small benefit.

The only real problem I have with door compression is that it doesn't use any power at all because door does not need to be powered to function, and automation circuits don't need power either (which is ok). If doors were required to be powered to function then I'd be completely fine with it but as it is you can use them as zero energy gas and liquid pumps or compressors.

5 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

The only real problem I have with door compression is that it doesn't any power at all because door does not need to be powered to function, and automation circuits don't need power either (which is ok). If doors were required to be powered to function then I'd be completely fine with it but as it is you can use them as zero energy gas and liquid pumps or compressors.

@CilyaOr even worse. If you strip mine a large slime biome and want to save massive amounts of time on storing it away. Build a row of doors. And use a buffer array to close them all in succession to push everything into one tile for easy decontamination and pick up.

1 hour ago, Saturnus said:

@CilyaOr even worse. If you strip mine a large slime biome and want to save massive amounts of time on storing it away. Build a row of doors. And use a buffer array to close them all in succession to push everything into one tile for easy decontamination and pick up.

There have been many requests for conveyor belts :)

19 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

Also all you need to do is connect the atmo switch to the skimmer using a logic wire. But I do not know if the skimmer has a logic port. 

It doesn't (yet) but then you just use the automated power switch. 

Archived