Some questions about pumpkin lanterns

Ordinarily I don’t use these, but the free ones given away at the Halloween event have gotten me interested in them.  They seem to last a long time, lighting up only at dusk and during the night.  Is this durability only in effect during the Halloween event? Do they lose durability during the day if placed on the ground?  (I know they don’t lose durability as long as they’re stored in the chest or backpack slot.)  It seems to be the case that when they finally decay, the firefly used to make them is released onto the ground, rather than being used up, but if anyone can confirm this, that would be great.

Lastly, what, if anything, about the lanterns currently in the game will be different at the end of Hallowed Nights?

• Yes, that durability is only in effect during the Halloween event.
  • They do lose durability during the day, if they're on the ground.
  • You're right, they don't perish while in any container, including your inventory.
  • I can confirm they spawn a firefly when they die, by any means.
  • The lanterns currently in the game last 40 days while on the ground, but when Hallowed Nights ends, they'll return to the usual 10 day perish time.

23 minutes ago, TemporaryMan said:

The lanterns currently in the game last 40 days while on the ground, but when Hallowed Nights ends, they'll return to the usual 10 day perish time.

I thought they seemed to be lasting longer then usual. I think they should keep the duration like this outside of the event. They could actually be useful if they last this long.

1 hour ago, Sinister_Fang said:

I thought they seemed to be lasting longer then usual. I think they should keep the duration like this outside of the event. They could actually be useful if they last this long.

Actually in original DS, Pumpkin lanterns only have 900 seconds durability. Sad.

1 hour ago, TemporaryMan said:

I can confirm they spawn a firefly when they die, by any means.

You have to attack and kill it to regain fireflies. If it rots no fireflies will spawn.

1 hour ago, TemporaryMan said:

The lanterns currently in the game last 40 days while on the ground, but when Hallowed Nights ends, they'll return to the usual 10 day perish time.

Food on the ground will perish 0.5 times faster, so actually that lantern can only last for around 26 days (with Hallowed nights enabled. And about 6 days without Hallowed nights, only 600 seconds in DS). The actual durability is also affected by wetness and seasons.

2 hours ago, PuffinBy said:

You have to attack and kill it to regain fireflies. If it rots no fireflies will spawn.

I’d heardd the opposite, but this does make more sense. I have fireflies in camp where some hounds chomped the lanterns, but only a couple, whereas a half dozen lanterns have rotted there.

6 minutes ago, Rellimarual said:

I’d heardd the opposite, but this does make more sense. I have fireflies in camp where some hounds chomped the lanterns, but only a couple, whereas a half dozen lanterns have rotted there.

Can confirm fireflies disappear if pumpkin rots on non-event server. Tried to make firefly road to the ruins and i thought lanterns will rot and leave fireflies. That's how i lost stack of fireflies. 

But yes. Lanterns leave fireflies on event server. At least on a surface

1 hour ago, Rellimarual said:

Definitely a bit of a pain, but for solo players who can’t take on toadstool, it’s an option.

you better collect 300 gunpowder and blow up toadstool than messing with pumpkins. It's only worth it on hallowed nights

6 hours ago, cezarica said:

I had 6 pumpkin lanterns in my camp and made all 6 at about the same time and put them down. Summer came and I went to caves and when returned 4 of them didn't leave anything behind and 2 did. Care to explain that? :?

Mysteries of the universe?

Hounds do attack them. I don't know about bats. But the two on my base that turned in fireflies were chomped by hounds.

I'm guessing you just forgot to put them in a chest when you went underground for the summer? That is the other downside of using them. Although if your server isn't to populate, you could just decide you're going to accept some firefly loss. There are a lot of them on the map, and while it's sacrilege to waste them, I do wonder how many players would actually run out if they lost a few now and then

I just said I didn't pick any of the 6 pumpkins when left to caves. The hounds attacking the pumpkins could be a possibility, but all 4 active players where in caves at the time (clubbing the grumpy Toadstool then cleaned the ruins mostly). When i returned like I said only two left firefly behind after they rot, strange enough that I didn't see any rot behind as they just vanished *poof* Is this normal or they leave rot behind like seeds for instance leave?

Firefly don't respawn like carrots do? I don't pick firefly too often and don't pay much attention to them to be honest..

6 minutes ago, cezarica said:

When i returned like I said only two left firefly behind after they rot, strange enough that I didn't see any rot behind as they just vanished *poof* Is this normal or they leave rot behind like seeds for instance leave?

They don't leave any rot, just the fireflies.

Archived