next update

Upgrades to food would be welcome. The addition of Mushrooms has proven less game-changing than I had hoped, though that may be because they grow so infrequently that they're immediately gobbled up, making liceloaf stocks the primary indicator of food surplus/health.

I'd love to see a biome reaching towards the top of the asteroid, to contrast and pull against the desire to go down for oil.

Between my personal hopes and having looked at what's lying around in the data waiting to be implemented, my guess is that next update will add...

• the fish Pacu, which can reproduce and be farmed for meat
  • a new biome with other new plants and possibly creatures besides Pacu
  • burners, expand on the flammable property in general, maybe bake clay into ceramic, maybe a new fuel based power, maybe refine metals + forge steel
  • fine goods/luxuries that can be printed out at a machine (omniprinter?) using materials like diamond, glass, gold, possibly new materials (ceramic?), etc
  • new power source, steam turbine
  • hopefully more medicine
  • hopefully more disease
  • hopefully a compactor type machine that can manufacture solids from gasses like oxylite and bleach stone
  • hopefully more lore and exploration-based goodies that give the game more shape than simply making a base that lasts forever, which honestly feels really easy right now

If there's a singularly themed update I definitely see it being around crafting and burning. The addition of diamond and "flammable" tag is too big to ignore I think. There's a lot of possibilities associated with these concepts, I can't wait to see what they do with them.

Food revamp, with kitchen room type and more ways to make food, with maybe a farmable animal (pacu or boarats), and hopefully making dupes demand better food.  It's really time that this gets sorted.  If not that, then metal refining, and an aggressive mob so that you can't just uncheck combat for everyone and never look back.

Anything else is gravy.  It'd be nice if they include some actual compulsion to use showers (along with a way to control shower usage).  Fix the water spilling cooling exploit.  Make unpowered airlocks move slower.  Make storage containers with no floor not function.  etc.

1 hour ago, brummbar7 said:

Make storage containers with no floor not function.  etc.

I justify doing this because IMO it doesn't make sense to only be able to build a storage compactor 2 tiles tall. If you wanted taller storage, you would build a taller storage. If they take this away from us, I would strongly hope they add tech to build bigger ones in compensation. I wouldn't mind if it was deep into the research tree, just so long as it exists.

7 hours ago, Saturnus said:

I'd welcome the game not becoming unplayable due to lag after cycle 400.

That is interesting. My PC is like 6 years old now and I dont feel like it is that bad. But maybe we have different standards. It is only starting to become particularly noticeable now at 800+ 16 dupes most of the map uncovered and a colony that spans probably a little less than a third of the map.

I have noticed that length of play time matters, too. In that after a fresh opening of the save seems to be much more responsive than later.

Load times are bad too. But better that towards the end of my AG colony by like a lot.

i read someone clear the gas to vacuum outside their base, the game become smooth like early cycle
i think most gas with so many temperature and movement changing, burden the proccesor
add animation ingame, game lag like its catchup with the animation when we run 2x or 4x speed

at some point i think they should consider, and using fog of war to hide which area we not use after certain time, so fog area can froze anyhting in there without burden our computer, like they doing in dont starve, where any mechanism out of our view is froze
like this post describe

7 minutes ago, Whispershade said:

That is interesting. My PC is like 6 years old now and I dont feel like it is that bad. But maybe we have different standards. It is only starting to become particularly noticeable now at 800+ 16 dupes most of the map uncovered and a colony that spans probably a little less than a third of the map.

I have noticed that length of play time matters, too. In that after a fresh opening of the save seems to be much more responsive than later.

Load times are bad too. But better that towards the end of my AG colony by like a lot.

Yeah, I dont think is THAT bad either. I´ve reached +800 before but with no so many dupes. Now im on cycle 300 with 24, most of the map uncovered. All systems running and a base that, probably, spans like a 1/5 of the map and, yeah, its a little laggy, but I wouldnt say unplayable.

My colony houses 62 dupes on a 512x512 map. I run at 3 to 5 fps during the day and much more during the night. I don't care about how smooth the game is... I usually let the game running while doing something else at the same time. But I have to admit that below 4 fps... it's pretty hard to play properly. I usually hit pause to set my orders.

3 minutes ago, Botaxalim said:

add animation ingame, game lag like its catchup with the animation when we run 2x or 4x speed

Those animations cost almost nothing on a modern computer.

3 minutes ago, Botaxalim said:

at some point i think they should consider, and using fog of war to hide which area we not use after certain time, so fog area can froze anyhting in there without burden our computer

It would prevent any temperature change which would indeed be an exploit to insulate your colony.

yeah the animation cost nothing, but the gas movement, and heat exhange either its tile, biome, gas etc. so the game simulate that to catchup animation, burden the processor when we running 2x or 4x speed. 
here the link where he experiment vacuum the gas

and the result he had performance like early game we start, althou i cant guarantee same result with anyone, since even without gas we still have tiles in biome exchanging temperature. My concern with our average computing power, where most people using i3/i5 + 8 gb ram or scale of that

10 minutes ago, Cilya said:

It would prevent any temperature change which would indeed be an exploit to insulate your colony.

agree with you, maybe klei can consider best balance to hide some stuff, which most very far from our base, where near zero activities from dupe or building

There is probably a lot of room for optimization. 512x512 is not a big number for a computer for a slow simulation like that, even considering the simulation is not trivial. But as it is the core mechanics of the game, it might be very hard to change it at this point. The "do not optimize early" rule works well if you succeed to optimize later, but not too late.

Just now, geniusthemaster said:

it has an unavoidable memory leak, just reload oxygen not included every 4 hours.

That's not really the issue. My PC has 128GB RAM... it's a Xeon workstation. But it actually performs almost exactly like my laptop which is "only" i7-6660U with 16GB RAM.

Archived