Polluted oxygen production

So I was just wondering, what methods you use (if you do) to produce polluted oxygen. At some point I realized that converting polluted oxygen into clean oxygen via a wolframite hydrogen bubbler is much more efficient then any other method of providing oxygen, and requires just 1440W in total (3 pumps, 1 liquid pump and 2 thermo regulators at the beggining, 1 is better when hydrogen reaches ca -230 degress C). Also, it allows you to cool things easily and is extremely useful for farming in lower temperatures, as you don't need an extra equipment.

The only thing that may be tricky, is getting enough polluted oxygen to run it constantly. I tried several experiments with morbs, and 8-10 of those creatures seem to work pretty well so far.  Generating them from dirty toilets is time-consuming though as for 4-5 cycles just one morb appear and for some reason they sometimes tend to escape while being carried to the disposal place (?).

So I figured out, that one could produce polluted oxygen from mealwoods. I've had some difficulties in setting a proper experiment, but I keep trying. First of all, it takes a while for meallice to convert into rotten pile and then polluted dirt. It produces miligrams of polluted oxygen, which shouldn't be a problem as after 100 cycles you should have tons of seeds already. Obviously, it requires closed enviroment, so that polluted dirt remains inside the room producing polluted air.

And here comes an issue that I think hasn't been spotted yet: mealwoods don't overripen on their own if left in polluted oxygen. That's a bit odd. As I said, I'm testing it in debug mode, however it doesn't seem to work in anyway.

Some clues?

Meal wood rot pile although sustainable is really not that practical as it takes just over 117 meal lice plant to gas off enough PO2 for one dupe. Morbs are far better. A submerged morb gas off 19.33(3)g/s so you just need 5.1725 of those per dupe. A combination of several methods is probably best.

I'd not use slime though as that's needed for growing mushrooms, and the only truly suitable way to have decent food currently.

For example. 4 Morbs and 27 meal lice per dupe is workable. Or 5 morbs and 4 meal lice.

Also just remember thats if you want to run it all off of only cooled polluted oxygen, if you are still going to use clean oxygen then even less is needed.

I have a silly question, but why cool the oxygen now anyway? For now disease does literally nothing and your dupes now actually consume the polluted oxygen. If it is cold enough the slimelung dies, or you can be crazy like me, I just leave the slime on the ground and my dupes breath in the small sweat amounts of slimelung and their immune systems kill it since the amounts are so small for 30 dupes

11 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

I have a silly question, but why cool the oxygen now anyway? For now disease does literally nothing and your dupes now actually consume the polluted oxygen. If it is cold enough the slimelung dies, or you can be crazy like me, I just leave the slime on the ground and my dupes breath in the small sweat amounts of slimelung and their immune systems kill it since the amounts are so small for 30 dupes

You don't need to but it takes so little energy, and you can use the LOx for various cooling purposes. My compact liquefier in this thread uses only 185W(avg) to liquefy 2000g/s PO2 into LOx. That's enough for 20 dupes and will do a fair amount of cooling.

6 minutes ago, SusanMcO said:

Do morbs produce more PO2 underwater? 

Technically the same as if they were in a vacuum. The problem is that they stop emitting PO2 above a certain air pressure (I can't remember the exact pressure atm). Submerging them means that they'll continue to emit PO2 at the same rate no matter what.

1 minute ago, Le0n1des said:

Wouldn't it be better to evaporate ph2o into po2 rather than using morbs?

No slimelung to worry about...

That means you're using water for oxygen production. Kinda the goal to minimize the reliance on water for oxygen production.

Thanks guys, especially for the numbers. I had some problems getting them on my own. I'll try 4 morbs and 27 mealwoods per dupe, it sounds reasonable, it will take me a while though with 12 dupes in my current base haha.

BTW, does the higher water level increase morbs' production rate? I just pour a bit so they "think" they are not in polluted oxygen area (otherwise they stop at 2k pressure). I think Saturnus is right, but maybe I missed something.

I though about slime as well, but I use it to fertilize mushrooms, and they are hardly renewable (except for puffs, but come on, capturing them in casual game is a nightmare).

2 minutes ago, manu_x32 said:

If you are looking at producing massive amounts of polluted oxygen, using lots of 1 tile high polluted water tunnels is the way to go.

Looks good and should be pretty easy to work with, thanks! Do you happen to have its production rate? And does polluted water evaporate and decrease it's amount, or just pollutes the atmosphere around it? Previously I used about 12 gas pumps in separate polluted water reservoirs with atmo switches, which gave me some amounts of polluted oxygen, but I guess that the key is surface then.

I don't have exact numbers, but yes the more surface you have the more it produces.  @Lifegrow might have more details...

If you don't pump out the po2 out of there, you will quickly end up with tons of it.  It does seem like some of it is evaporating slowly, but I'm not 100% sure, haven't been doing this for that long.  Or maybe ph2o is just slowly pilling down in the bottom channels, so the top ones seem like they lost...  I had to refill it a little bit a couple of times, but not often.  

Watch out when building these in a real game, your dupes can easily get entombed if you build channels from bottom to top.

1 hour ago, Saturnus said:

Again, it was suggested above but the problem with using PH2O for PO2 is that it deletes water. Kinda the exact opposite of what you want. Remember, every 1g of PO2 is 1g less PH2O. 

I was under the impression that PH2O outgassing was free matter, similar to morb farts.  I guess this was tested somewhere and I missed it?

41 minutes ago, WanderingKid said:

I was under the impression that PH2O outgassing was free matter, similar to morb farts.  I guess this was tested somewhere and I missed it?

Given that it's such an easy thing to test I'm surprised you didn't use the 2-3 minutes it takes yourself to be honest but here

2017-10-18 (1).png

18 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Given that it's such an easy thing to test I'm surprised you didn't use the 2-3 minutes it takes yourself to be honest but here

I've yet to fire up debug mode, and my current bases don't have any easy testing facilities.  Sorry for that.  Appreciate the time you took, though.

3 minutes ago, WanderingKid said:

I've yet to fire up debug mode, and my current bases don't have any easy testing facilities.  Sorry for that.  Appreciate the time you took, though.

Here's a good test bench I use all the time. All geysers on the left. Big enough power supply to test basically anything.

The Test Bed.sav

3 hours ago, Saturnus said:

Again, it was suggested above but the problem with using PH2O for PO2 is that it deletes water. Kinda the exact opposite of what you want. Remember, every 1g of PO2 is 1g less PH2O. 

Good to know, I must have missed that in previous posts. I still kinda like the ph2o to po2 system, as I usually have too much ph2o and I don't seem to be able to get enough po2 with morbs even when they are submerged and jailed in pneumatic doors.  I only grow shrooms so I need a lot of slime. If I don't use ph2o that way, I need to grow pincha pepper plants to get rid of it, along with converting some of it back to water.  ;)

4 hours ago, manu_x32 said:

If you are looking at producing massive amounts of polluted oxygen, using lots of 1 tile high polluted water tunnels is the way to go.

I would expect 2 tile high tunnels to be better. That would maximize the volume of water touching gas permeable tiles.

If 1 tile high tunnels are better, it suggests that the gas production depends not just on water volume, but also number of free adjacent tiles.

20 minutes ago, Coolthulhu said:

If 1 tile high tunnels are better, it suggests that the gas production depends not just on water volume, but also number of free adjacent tiles.

It does. There was a whole thread about it a while back. The principle finding were: PH2O sublimate if there is a gas filled tile directly above it. So liquids, such as water, or vacuum above the PH2O prevents sublimation. If there is a gas filled tile above it, it can sublimate in any direction there is a gas filled tile. For each direction there's a set chance a sublimation will occur.

Just now, SusanMcO said:

If you have a geyser, water deletion is no longer an issue.  I usually get to the point where I'm overwhelmed with water and need to keep finding places to use it or dump it. 

Well, I like to feed my pompous dupes with decadent foods like stuffed berries so water is gone in no time at all :D

Archived