High Pressure Gas Vents

High pressure gas vents are a great idea, however they presently come with no significant drawback. Their material cost and decor penalty are the same as the regular gas vents. It seems like there should either be some opportunity cost or else they should just replace gas vents when they are unlocked.

3 hours ago, goboking said:

The drawback is the popped eardrums status effect..

It's true, there is that, so there is some drawback. But it can be removed if you use them the right way: send oxygen not into the main living area but simply nearby, and then the density will fall off enough by the time you reach the living area that it won't trigger the effect.

The effect is also not particularly severe. Indeed both stress and germs have become rather trivial after about 50 cycles on the default settings, provided you have food (any food), air, and temperature control.

9 hours ago, Ciderblock said:

The effect is also not particularly severe. Indeed both stress and germs have become rather trivial after about 50 cycles on the default settings, provided you have food (any food), air, and temperature control.

Even in the early game they're very easy to handle once you get the hang of them.

19 minutes ago, WanderingKid said:

I disagree.  They're farming carrots instead of dragon fruit because you don't know any better.  Not every choice should come with a "NOPE!" unless you're doing it wrong by accident.

I don't think making them a bit harder to use is equivalent to "NOPE!".

These things are used in closed rooms to collect a great amount of gases. Max is 20KG per tile. Great for a Chlorine Collector Room or Methan or something. Normally nobody would use this in the main base because the dupes don't like it. If u use it and the dupes must going through it use exosuits!

37 minutes ago, The Plum Gate said:

A noise mechanic would be interesting ( even for all machinery ). Probably coming soon anyway.

Couldn't that be done by simply give a "noise" decor debuff for machineries and the high pressure vent?  A whole new game mechanics system is a bit of overkill...

10 minutes ago, Reaniel said:

Couldn't that be done by simply give a "noise" decor debuff for machineries and the high pressure vent? 

That's what I mean.

10 minutes ago, Reaniel said:

A whole new game mechanics system is a bit of overkill...

...this has been the story of the last two / three upgrades.

I was trying to avoid saying that the vent should share the snoring debuff, but that's what I kind of imagined. ..noise interruption mechanics ( when appropriate ) ..stressors basically for running machinery, noise and not something decor related.

I personally think OU and OI are "okay" upgrades, but just not something that can thrill me a lot.  The thought of having an update for noise would turn me off though :p

But the snoring debuff is a pretty decent angle to look at for this issue.  Better than doing more to the decor now that I give it more thoughts (just as long it's not something over the top that'd disable a dupe really fast).

Archived