Tinkering - What is it good for?

Hi there,

I'm just trying to figure out of this skill is even implemented, is it even practical to get a dupe with high tinkering or related perks? Is this related to repairing damaged buildings?

Just what precisely is the function? What are all the benefits to it?

How about skills in general, what skills are actually being used/currently implemented? I've got my doubts about medicine, I very rarely see a dupe with high medicine even tending to a sick dupe in a bed, much is the same for creative tasks... It's infuriating! I don't recall seeing any assignment menu option related specifically to creativity. Why send a green dupe when you have a highly trained medical professional dupe?

I'm probably wrong, in which case, apologies, hopefully, I've not missed the scope of search tool. I've checked the wikis out there, only the basic descriptions for skills, not precisely what they're used on or if useful at all. I can't trust the tool tips, attributes are not applied in the manner described, such as the hamster wheel. Sure, 13 athletic skill sounds useful for early power generation, NOPE. (I know this last one has been discussed.)

Eagerly awaiting your replies, thanks.

It's technically used by the manual generator, but the building does nothing with what it changes.

So the skill does nothing.

Edit: Well actually it IS used to grant your dupe athletics experience using the manual generator. So still useless.

30 minutes ago, Risu said:

It's technically used by the manual generator, but the building does nothing with what it changes.

So the skill does nothing.

Edit: Well actually it IS used to grant your dupe athletics experience using the manual generator. So still useless.

Thanks for that information, do you have any information on the current state and practicality of the other skills?

Appreciate it.

8 minutes ago, FloomRide said:

I believe it increases compost speed, but I'm just going off of tooltips.

The chore group has tinkering assigned to it but I don't see that attribute being used anywhere.
However I did find another reference to the skill with the amount of building HP repaired.

2 minutes ago, Risu said:

The chore group has tinkering assigned to it but I don't see that attribute being used anywhere.
However I did find another reference to the skill with the amount of building HP repaired.

Well, repairs are also useless since they destroy nonrenewable metals.

I make it so only the dupes with high skills in certain jobs can do them - I unassign every other dupe for the job.  Especially with creativity/art, it saves me the hassle of having to deconstruct and remake crappy paintings. (I've never gotten above a mediocre sculpture yet though)

In the beginning, I also make it so my researching dupe can't do anything but research, prevents them from wandering off and getting distracted. 

2 hours ago, Risu said:

Which of the other skills are you curious about?

All of them, what is implemented and in practical use, that way when I pick my Dupes I know what is not currently pertinent, I appreciate your help.

2 hours ago, SusanMcO said:

...I unassign every other dupe for the job.  Especially with creativity/art, it saves me the hassle of having to deconstruct and remake crappy paintings. (I've never gotten above a mediocre sculpture yet though)...

You're right, I missed the art job, was looking for creativity in the list.

Tinkering effects how fast a dupe completes an operation on a things like switches, valve adjustments, door locking and opening - anything that requires adjustment that a dupe has to see about - it is more or less your tinkering with things, this speed change is really only noticeable at the default play speed. ( I notice at least ).

The hydrofan has it's own operational category - but I wouldn't be surprised if tinkering plays a part in how long they stay on it.

I've seen my dupes level up both athletics and tinkering on the manual generator.

22 minutes ago, MidnightSteam said:

I'm curious about the Learning stat - especially the part about Duplicants learning skills faster. Doesn't seem to work ?

Yes, it can be improved by having them research. I try to spread out my research so that my dupes are all level 5 or 6 learning by the time I get done with research. I keep low numbers, so this isn't a big deal. It helps improve other skill leveling ( according to the text ). Even a yokel with a high learning attribute is a good thing.

Choosing dupes with a high learning helps level them up. I have a tendency to turn the printing pod off after a while ..the only dupes I consider after that are high learning, and/or body builder. Otherwise they're just a slow as can be.

1 minute ago, The Plum Gate said:

Yes, it can be improved by having them research. I try to spread out my research so that my dupes are all level 5 or 6 learning by the time I get done with research.

The only dupes I consider after that are high learning, and/or body builder. Otherwise they're just a slow as can be.

Same here. I cap the level of learning at 5, and when everyone is 5 - take another dupe.

Immunity is also important, especially combined with germ resistance. My diggers fear nothing at all ;)

As far as the tinkering attribute goes I think it only effects the tread mill, I turned off ALL the jobs for the dups and they still operated machines that require a dup to operate (I didn't have a tread mill, but I know that attribute works for tread mill)

I don't  know about repairing, I will have to test that out.  But why doesn't it effect machines that need operator assistance to  operate?

Sorry, what I meant to say was tinkering is  only good for the tread mill, that attribute doesn't come into play for the other machines, and it would be nice if it does, other wise IMO I don't think the attribute is very useful unless you are planning on using a lot of tread mills, which I don't

Tinkering is a boostable attribute - you can't turn it off unless you get dupe with some attribute that disables said tinkering - for instance, my destructive dupes can't make repairs. I don't think there's a dupe that can't tinker.

So what I was saying is that it is supposed to affect how fast they lock doors and throw switches - not how fast they get there or how well they run a generator, but how long the action of throwing a switch or locking a door takes (valve adjustments, etc). The animation where they stop and fiddle with something - that time scale should go down the the higher the tinkering skill is.

Archived