Is this game worth a try?

The most recent update has been a bit controversial. Its core feature, germs, fixes a fundamental issue that the game had before, which was using polluted oxygen from the environment to keep your people breathing, with no processing and almost no negative effects. You totally can't do that now; your entire colony will die if you try. But the way that it actually did that is by adding a germ system that can be a bit tedious to manage, and by adding truly debilitating diseases if you fail to manage it properly. It also scrapped the food system that was at the heart of the previous update in favor of an even more unbalanced one. Some folks overreacted to this a bit, especially before the hotfixes that nerfed germs heavily.

The main concern I think people have is that Klei's vision for the goal of the game and the players' vision for the goal of the game are different. What catches the fans' eyes is largely fancy hand-made machines (look up "ONI hydrogen bubbler" for a lot of videos). But what we've been getting is more colony issues to fuss over instead. However, Klei did a pretty good job communicating that this is basically the last update with a whole new system from scratch, and the remaining updates will be focusing on adding depth to existing systems. Such depth is really what people want, because to be honest this game is still rather shallow, once you are used to it.

Overall I'd recommend it. I'd just make sure you understand that you may get as little as 20-30 hours or so of entertainment out of it unless you really like fine-tuning things. But that may be worth $25 to you already.

You know how you read steam reviews and someone's like "there's not really much to do in this game, pretty shallow, don't recommend" and then you look how at their time played for that game and it's at 250+ hours?  It's too bad you can't see the hours played in the same way here, as I'd reckon most of the people saying that the game is too shallow and needs more depth are at some multiple hundreds of hours in, on an unfinished early access game, just hilarious.  

So yea OP, it's worth a shot, if it grabs you in the first hour then you too will get sucked in for hundreds of hours , after which you too can complain that there's not really enough replayability in this unfinished game that you played for 200 hours+

1 hour ago, trukogre said:

You know how you read steam reviews and someone's like "there's not really much to do in this game, pretty shallow, don't recommend" and then you look how at their time played for that game and it's at 250+ hours?  It's too bad you can't see the hours played in the same way here, as I'd reckon most of the people saying that the game is too shallow and needs more depth are at some multiple hundreds of hours in, on an unfinished early access game, just hilarious.  

So yea OP, it's worth a shot, if it grabs you in the first hour then you too will get sucked in for hundreds of hours , after which you too can complain that there's not really enough replayability in this unfinished game that you played for 200 hours+

I'm sitting well over 1000 hours. I'm absolutely in love with this game.

3 hours ago, The Luck Duck said:

Ok I have seen a bit of gameplay and this game looks awesome! But apparently one of the recent updates is really bad or something? I have heard a lot of people complain about "outbreak" so I am at a crossroad weather I should buy this game or not.

Outbreak update made game a bit harder, was a good addition. ONI has some sort of learningcurve, i could suggest it 100%. Devs reacted quick about the Outbreak update based "mimimi" and nerfed it a bit.

2 hours ago, The Luck Duck said:

welp my new computer and I am loving it so far even though I managed to die in the first 3 minutes by not knowing how to view gasses.

Wait till you have first time a good base and then it starts overheating, or when a dam is breaking and everything is drowning.
Save many times, give your saves (new save) fresh names("GenInstalled"/"1756Dupes"). Always good to have a backup, when you start playing. Frustration prevention ^^

45 minutes ago, Kasuha said:

.. up to 10 cycles back with them so I'd guess frequent saving is not necessary.

Sometimes, while i started playing 10 cycles was not enough and i reversed more then 10 cycles, or i had instead to start a fresh game.
I like the "new save" system, klei is using for oni

Played it and even though I don't exactly understand how most of the later mechanics work like plumbing and how outhouses seem to always be reserved by an incoming dupe but nobody ever arrives and next thing you know your drinking yellow fluids 0_0. But otherwise gg I think im on cycle 25 or something...

Welcome to the crowd The Luck Duck!

If I had to describe the game in a sentence, it would be something in the lines of:

"A Dwarf-Fortress-like game in 2D with humorous graphics; simple and easily approachable yet deep and intriguing still."

That's supposed to be a glowing recomendation... Dwarf Fortress is a game where you spend a week reading guides before you get to start the game. The game's motto is "loosing is fun". And it really is. And you will have a lot of "fun". Check it out if you like ONI, love killing your braincells, don't mind the absence of graphics, and want a REALLY "fun" challenge, for free! ... but enough of that!

You're already on board so I'll get a bit deeper about this patch that some players complained about.

First off: I love outbreak! The game became deeper. Not noticeably easier or harder if you ask me. But double the enjoyment.

The reason why outbreak was not well-received is (in my very humble theory) because some core game mechanics were changed. Some players were no longer able to play "the way they used to". Some strategies would no longer work, and new problems arose that they were unable to handle. 

If you are open minded and love solving problems, you will love this game.You will experience that new mechanics get introduced and old ones get reworked. resulting in a new experience with every patch (they come out every 6 weeks. On a friday! Better plan in a double all nighter 6 times every year from now.)

If you are conservative about games it might be better to wait with playing until they release it (so that you don't get used to mechanics that get changed and start to rage like the other players that complained about outbreak)

But either way, your money is well spent. I don't usually say stuff like that and certainly not for early-access titles but Klei has earned a reputation with me.

Happy suffocating!

I love it and spend probably too much time playing it *L* 

But everyone enjoys different things in a  game.  :)  I like the openness of it and that if I get a little bored with a colony, I can make a new one and have different challenges to face or try to engineer it better the next time. 

I don't do a *ton* of saves, but I do try to make one after I've gotten over a particular hump, or before heading into something "dangerous".

Right now I'm doing a Doctor Who themed colony  :D Here's the base file for funsies.  

TARDIS.sav

Archived