I think heavi-watt wire are useless

If the power draw on a normal wire exceeds 1kw it should overload and transformers are supposed to cumulatively total the draw from all circuits onto the parent circuit which is where heavi-watt wires are supposed to be required as their limit is 20kw. If that is not happening then you need to report this as a bug.

At the moment I think since the game is under development it is neither a bug nor unintended, Insulated pipes etc are the same since a pipe made out of abyssalite does the exact same job. Over time I think it will be tweaked so that using said pipes and Heavi-Watt wires will be needed for such larger power-houses.

At least thats what I hope XD

This is common knowledge and has been the case since it was released. This is an early access game remember folks, so a lot of these systems will be set to change over time. I made a vid a month two back to help people that were struggling with the new system :

To surmise, yes this is the current state of the wiring - however personally, I still always build my main line out of heavy watt. Even though I know it isn't needed, it's a good practice to incorporate for when the changes to power drain (hopefully) happen, that way your bases won't be left crippled whilst you remedy the problem :) 

May also be worth noting that you can use heavy watt wire to make absolutely monstrous circuits, if for example you're trying to pump out a massively concentrated room of polluted oxygen.... Connect them all with heavy watt and you can power 80+ pumps before "overload" ;) 

Archived