Whats your Base biome?

My personal list of things:

Cave hybrid bases: Lots of natural light, build as much as you want anywhere, the roof drops the materials needed to spam Wigfrid gear with ease, as well as the moles that store the materials for you, no summer heat, the piece of land you sometimes get with Spiders and natural light all over is a personal favorite of mine, or the lightbulb biome. Splumonkey farming (Fruit / Morsel / Nightmare Fuel / Beard Hair), The Cave Stalker + Thurible combo for mowing down a ton of trees. Just keep the Pigs / Chess sculptures above the nearest staircase for Full Moon Pig slaughter / New Moon Chess Piece event. Gekkos on the surface as well to avoid worms / earthquakes.

Savannah: Not effected by a ton of trees growing all over the base like weeds that need to be constantly picked (world regrowth), the turf is a great neutral color that works on it's own or with other turfs, rabbits, and maintaining the Beefalo herd.

Dfly Desert: Cactus for Rogies / Filler, Tumbleweed, 100% monster meat from hound mounds, single wall strat for DFLY lets you farm rocks while you kill the DFLY as added loot (can also turn the magma pit into a bird / krampus farm). Occasional Vultures, no tree weeds.

Oasis: Cactus for Rogies / Filler, perfect biome for a surface Megabase, no restrictions of Flingos here, Voltgoats every 10 days. Gear to work towards in the summer and the Antlion to control / kill every year, no tree weeds.

Used to like the Swamp but reeds would burn and it's not worth losing them, not a fan of basing in any of the other biomes, but they do have their benefits (namely Pig King and Moon Set forest).

I usually set my base near desert. So i can collect tumbleweeds for resource and pick cactus for sanity (i generally play wicker, i need quick sanity after reading books) 

Swamp biome is a good alternative for wicker. Reeds, tentacle spots, fish and frog legs. Free food and weapon everywhere. But players have to be careful. And at spring lightnings can burn reeds, mermhouses. 

For cave, near mushtree forests. These trees provides spores. Free vegetable for pierogi. Nice and colorful tufts. Forests includes sooo many trees and this may cause lag. 

Atm for main base: CavesSunken Forest or Wilds biome. Beside Depths Worms and earthquakes you have quite an easy time "in the lands deep under": one can pretty much organize all without nasty cumulative surprises (no unexpectedly 'visiting' giants, no fire dogs, no smoldering etc). Get your trusted Tam o', Cane and Eyebrella plus transplanted tufts, bushes, saplings, and tree seeds so you can live there "like @ B0$$" with minerals literally falling to your base from the ceiling. Make some Mushroom Planters for additional/quickly needed sanity and/or HP (having a mush forest close is fine but with enough mid/late game Living Logs you can opt for quick shrooms picking right in base) and you'll do peachy perfect. Also, if playing on public servers, basing in Caves/Ruins is pretty much a troll/griefer-free sure bet.

I like caves.  So many reasons, but mostly because I hate the sun and hide from it like a vampire.  (okay, really it's the free mins, generally non-griefed, out-of-the-way, "Oooooh, BUNNIES!  MMMmmmmmeeeeaaaaat!!!!!", shrooms, temp-control, and of course the all important not-in-the-sun factor)

{edit:  as for which cave .... well, generally one of the ones with a couple exits near each other, I like that caves make good back-roads to the surface (without the sanity costs of worm-holes).}

I like the Oasis for the no-smoldler.  I kinda hope Klei develops the game in a way that removes summer smolder and adds some other challenge.  I don't mind fire hounds, but summer smolder is tedious and limiting in a way that doesn't make the game better.  In fact if they simply removed the smolder and added the sandstorm as a temporary thing that can happen anywhere on the surface (like rain) I think we'd all be better off.  Not constant, the way it is in the desert (they could leave it constant in both deserts.)

When not in the Oasis I look to put a base where I can access Walrus in winter, and have a wormhole nearby.  Then pick what sinkhole to mine up and build in there for summer.  I'll build around the sinkhole for a basic base, and then find ruins and build a bit of a base there too.

First I explore the whole map walking through the shore and gathering not-so-common resources (silk, gold, trinkets, glands, etc).

Once I've walked the map sorroundings I build my base in the center of the map whichever the biome is, that way I can access with more ease all the sorrounding biomes.

But my favorite is birchnut forest for the pigs (manure factory) and catcoons (I LOVE catcoon hats).

I build a mini base by the portal for new comers

I build a big base in a nice central location: on the outskirts of the Savannah (access to a lot of grass and beefalo) and in the plains (bee and berry area).

I build a lesser base, but still big, by the pig king.

I also base in the caves during the summer so I don't have to waste gears on ice flingos.

Archived