Electrolyzer should have a gas output

Throwing Hydrogen into our base, making little pockets as it rises into the base, creates a huge problem with base management and power. Here is the thing. If you don't have a Hydrogen Generator, you can still just vent the Hydrogen into your base, or even choose a place to vent it to that is of your choosing. Instead we have all this excess gas floating up through our base and filling the highest places. While this has some micro-management and planning benefits for gameplay, it removes other more intelligent base designs and gameplay.

Also, if we have to use multiple gas intakes to get that same Hydrogen out of our base (which is primarily created by our Electrolyzer), we waste even more power to do so. I really don't see why every other base component has an input and output, yet this building does not. It's bad enough having Carbon Dioxide wells at the bottom of our base. Oh that brings me onto another point. Why can't we pump CO2 into our Air Scrubber directly? We have to use even more power on a gas intake and vent it out next to our distiller lol.

Currently the set up for a working electrolyzer is: *water pump* electrolyzer.. etc, and it takes two gas pumps to move the volume of gas created by an electroller I believe.  If younneed gas pumps to later move the hydrogen out of your base, its only logical to instead use pumos to simply move the oxygen in, inthe first place.  The system *shouldnt* be energy prodicing though.  To maintain some semblance of "sci-fi realism* this should be energy expensive,  with the reburning of hydrogen only meant to decrease energy inefficiency

An issue with this is that the amount of gas made by an electrolyzer takes 480W worth of pumping to move. So in principle an electrolyzer with a mixed gas output should require 600W to run. Does that seem like a good idea? (Sincere question, not sarcasm or rhetoric.)

On 4/18/2017 at 3:25 PM, robsin11 said:

Current system: Rate now the water and gas will only go through them if there is something pumping them through the pipes.

Change 1: The main change I am recommending is that you change the pipe mechanic to one that is controlled by pressure instead of only by pumps.

Change 2: The change that I am recommending is that you(the development team) make a change to the pipe making it so that I can use it to equalize pressure of liquids and gases between two or more gas or liquid outputs when the pipes are less pressurized than the outside environment.

Change 3: If these changes could also allow for a gravity feed water flow through pipes " Gravity feed is the use of earth's gravity to move something (usually a liquid) from one place to another. It is a simple means of moving a liquid without the use of a pump." would also make things better.

Research recommendation: "basic gas movement" and "basic liquid movement" which would be prerequisites to their corresponding gas or liquid movement research's.

-basic gas movement: could include "gas pipe" and "air vent"

-basic liquid movement: could include "liquid pipe" and "liquid pipe input/output"

Reasoning: This change will allow the current system to still function the same way while also proving more options for there use.

PS. when it comes to the liquid flow rate you could lower it(i would say maybe 1/4 or 1/8 the rate of the pumps) to show that there will be a marked improvement when you get the pumps.

I think this quote apply to what was mentioned earlier in this post in regards to the fluid and gas management system.

This would also help with the power management in the game by not needing a ridiculous amount of pumps in you base to move gases and liquids around you base.

I can understand the difficulty in accomplishing what is mentioned above due to liquid flow mechanics are some of the hardest to code in gaming. 

On 4/18/2017 at 7:26 PM, Ciderblock said:

An issue with this is that the amount of gas made by an electrolyzer takes 480W worth of pumping to move. So in principle an electrolyzer with a mixed gas output should require 600W to run. Does that seem like a good idea? (Sincere question, not sarcasm or rhetoric.)

See below.

On 4/20/2017 at 6:19 PM, Cadwyr said:

It would be great to pump the hydrogen directly out - It would even still be worth it to increase the wattage needed for the electrolyzer... 

I'd be happy to spend more power on the Electrolyzer if it added a single output for both gases. Obviously we'd still need a filter on the output.

Maybe in the future we could have these as options. For example, you have one base building, the Electrolyzer. When you click it, similar to selecting the material, you have the option of checking "Pipe output" and "Filtered output", altering the power and material cost of course.

This could be applied to every building with outputs. Maybe I want my bio distiller to just dump the polluted water on the ground.

I actually like that what this game tries to give are the components to build something rather than the thing itself.  For example:  a fractionating column.  Filtered output from the electrolyzer is something you can make, and it takes some thought to do so -- for me that's a win.  Thinking about how to engineer things is what attracts me to this game.

(well, that and the super-kawaii dupes)

I think the way they have it enhances the design and thought requirements of the game.  Note that the natural gas generator also has an un-piped output; contaminated water.  If everything goes in and out in pipes, it makes it very easy to control everything.  By having un-piped outputs, you now have to expand your thought box beyond the machines themselves, to encompass the built environment around them.  You can build the electrolyzer in a contained room with the pumps.  The pumps output to a filter, splitting the hyrogen to the generator and venting the oxygen into the base.  You had to have all these parts (except one of the pumps) anyway if you were going to run a hydrogen generator. The mistake is made when you just put the electrolyzer sitting in the open in the middle of your base.  Much easier to contain it, and bite the bullet on the extra pump.    It's well worth it imho, even if it becomes a net energy loser.  Just not having to worry about all that free-roaming hydrogen is worth a lot.  The main target, it seems to me, is that you're not using algae for oxygen anymore.

The nat gas generator is similar - you have to expand your thought around the machine, to figure out how to deal with the contaminated water it spills on the floor.   It makes the game more interesting, and forces you to think more holistically about your base. Do you just build a little sump and mop it up once in awhile?  Pump a pump in the sump?  Or build it on mesh tiles over your dirty water reservoir?  Much more interesting than just plopping it anywhere in the base, and piping the effluent away.

Archived