Changing Resources - tips pls

Can I get some tips for managing the different resources?  I feel like I'm always hating the new resources because they seem to just be worse versions.  Can you please enlighten me on what you do to make the most of these variants?

Also - Bush hat - how can I make this if I get juicy berry bushes?  Am I just stranded, and unable to make this item?

You won't be able to make a bush hat on a juicy berry bush world. (klei pls fix, most of my trolls need a berry bush hat)

The different resources, the way I see it, are inefficient early game and are much more useful late-game.

Twiggy trees provide a little amount of twigs, but if left alone for a while you could walk around your world picking up twigs from right next to them. It's faster than picking a sapling.
Grass geckos can't be moved so it's pretty annoying when you get them on a world. But if you pen them and put chester (or a pig) in the middle of the pen you basically get an automatic grass farm! Maintenance only necessary for wooden walls, fences or fence gates.
A juicy berry bush gives just enough filler for meatballs, so it is nice having them around although I do get pretty annoyed at their spoiling time and the fact that I can't make a bush hat.

And remember of the conventional sources of grass and twigs, that is tumbleweeds, thorny bushes and spiky trees in the swamp. They never disease!

As a side-note, there should be a way to craft a bushhat at all times since you only need one per person, thus making it fairly easy on resources. However, good news: the other variants will show up with time!

I always keep in mind that when I have twiggy trees on the overworld to start with, there are likely normal twigs in the caves. Same with berry bushes. I usually get quite lucky with those things and I don't have to wait for resources to flip. You can always go check out the caves for a few days, you might get lucky and find a berrybush. 

Tumbleweeeeds...

TUM-ble-weeeeddss...

Don't mind me, I just love the desert.  :D  Carry on!

(also grass geckos are adorable, and cooked juicy berries are HELLA filling for just fruit.)

EDIT:  I often seem to end up with worlds that are mixed from the start, like, twiggy trees and saplings right alongside each other near spawn, Day 1.  Not sure what's doing that, but I ain't complainin'.  (No, I have no mods that affect that.)

...Notorious

If you make a sizable field of twiggy trees, they'll start dropping all the twigs you need on the ground in like, 10~15 days? Twiggy trees are pretty neat now that they do that. You can even just fuel your firepits with 'em after that.

Juicy berries do spoil fast, but they also give you THREE TIMES as many berries, so that's undeniably useful. It means you'll need to roam caves for a long time to try to find any normal berries if you want a bush hat, though. There's usually a few bushes down there somewhere.

I like the variant resources because it makes everything much quicker and it makes some dedicated server experiences a lot more tolerable, since lag never fails to screw up combat so bad.

If I'm not wrong, there's still a chance to get regular berry bushes from pigmen villages and caves (I'm preeetty sure that the caves have separate odds of getting either regular or the variants of your basic resources), so worry not if you enjoy map exploration and spelunking! Unless I am wrong, which could very well be the case.

Savannah biomes are still filled with more than enough grass tufts if you don't like the lounge lizards, saplings however... I think if you get stuck with a twiggy tree world, say goodbye to having a beautiful sapling farm if you're strictly playing on the surface.

10 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Tumbleweeeeds...

TUM-ble-weeeeddss...

Don't mind me, I just love the desert.  :D  Carry on!

(also grass geckos are adorable, and cooked juicy berries are HELLA filling for just fruit.)

EDIT:  I often seem to end up with worlds that are mixed from the start, like, twiggy trees and saplings right alongside each other near spawn, Day 1.  Not sure what's doing that, but I ain't complainin'.  (No, I have no mods that affect that.)

...Notorious

Same, I never got a world that has only twiggy trees or only juicy berry bushes. Often one type of twig-source of berry-source is way more dominating in the world than the other one, but I still get a normal berry bush here and there in a "Juicy Berry World".

Yeah tumbleweeds, but I'm playing Wickerbottom right now and she does a LOT more with saplings than twiggy trees, and with juicy berry bushes it is mostly that I want a bush hat.

I guess I'll check the caves - that sounds promising.  I only need 1 bush for a bush hat.

thx 

Archived