mod limit?

i didn't really know if this post would fall under bugs so i'm posting here.

i'm testing this out and i'm only able to use 106 mods and if you ask why i need so many it's cause i like variety, but back to the topic.

is there really a mod limit or have i found some kind of bug. :cower:

Edited by Skullking

A lot of bigger mods don't work well with each other, bugging out, causing extra lag, crashing. I doubt this is a bug, since using over a hundred mods is a little on the heavy side as is. My computer for one, would never be able to handle that, even 50 mods would be too much. 

3 hours ago, ImDaMisterL said:

I don't think there is a limit. Could you explain in more details what exactly happens when you try to enable more than 106 mods?

i don't know where to find logs but i get this any time i go over 106

error.png

• Like 1

• Developer
1 minute ago, Skullking said:

i don't know where to find logs but i get this any time i go over 106

Spoiler

Don't Starve Together Log File (client_log.txt)

If you notice a critical error when playing Don't Starve together, close the game (to ensure that the log file gets fully written) and go into your Documents folder at Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\ and find "client_log.txt". Include the content of that file in your bug report.

That's how to get your DST log file.

Maybe Dedicated servers have a limit so as not to overload PCs or the server itself?

1 minute ago, ImDaMisterL said:
  Hide contents

Don't Starve Together Log File (client_log.txt)

If you notice a critical error when playing Don't Starve together, close the game (to ensure that the log file gets fully written) and go into your Documents folder at Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\ and find "client_log.txt". Include the content of that file in your bug report.

That's how to get your DST log file.

Maybe Dedicated servers have a limit so as not to overload PCs or the server itself?

well this is interesting to say the least i'm going to reinstall every thing and see if i get this error cause its saying:  Did not find the ugc handle in the cache. This is likely because you're subscribed to a non-existent file

• Developer
22 minutes ago, Skullking said:

Did not find the ugc handle in the cache

That code is driven by calls into the Steam api, so it sounds like you're hitting some sort of internal limit there unfortunately. You might be able to get around this by changing the directory name from "workshop-<mod id>" to any other name that doesn't start with "workshop". This will make the mod a local version and no longer linked to the version on the workshop. This should avoid interacting with Steam for those mods. The downside is that users connecting to the server will need to rename those mod directories the same way, or ideally you'd zip up your local mod directories and send them to the other users to install manually.

3 hours ago, Skullking said:

it looks like local play does not like over 106 i might need to try what @PeterA suggested or learn how to merge mods to try bypass this problem :cower:

Could you post a list of all the workshop IDs?

I can run a pass over them to see if any has some flags on 'em such as if they're banned or something.

4 hours ago, CarlZalph said:

Could you post a list of all the workshop IDs?

I can run a pass over them to see if any has some flags on 'em such as if they're banned or something.

i reinstalled every thing i went in and deleted what didn't uninstall highly doubt it.

plus i did try multiple combinations and even slowly added it all stopped at 106.

i have yet to try @PeterA suggestion but i think id have to merge mods if i really want to go over 106 mods.

Edited by Skullking

On 3/14/2017 at 2:29 PM, PeterA said:

That code is driven by calls into the Steam api, so it sounds like you're hitting some sort of internal limit there unfortunately.

Does the game poll Valve's servers very aggressively to update mods/subscriptions/etc when a server starts up?

I could see there being some sort of throttle/temp ban on clients who bombard Valve's servers too fast.