Banned at the speed of light!

20 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

3) No. My statement was that to many people they can be obscure BECAUSE it's not flashy enough. And thanks for trying to roast me. Anything else you want to throw at me to make an attempt at mentally scarring me?

~snipped for space~

2) Yeah, I forget to change things too and you know why? The UI doesn't pop it in my face so that I would remember about it and then I have to shut down server, delete it and do everything over and over again until everything I want the server to have is changed accordingly.

Counterpoint: I have to concentrate more on figuring out what the pictures in the worldgen settings mean than figuring out tabbed browsing and simple words. And those simple words are have a pretty big font size. And are right in the middle of the screen. How does that not stand out enough?

11 hours ago, Arlesienne said:

My theory: lazy players do not care to make a password as it is far easier to kick people than come up with a sensible password and then spread it between all buddies.

Can semi-confirm. Via one-time incident.

Friend hosted server, forgot to limit it to two people. Someone joined us, we panicked. Granted, we didn't kick them. We shut down the server, than relaunched it with the correct player limit. Problem solved?

Worst part was probably that we don't use the in-game chat (don't need to when you're in the same room), so that poor soul probably never knew what the heck happened.

Ah.  Similar thing happened to me, from the other side.  Looking for public servers that sounded halfway interesting at some obscure late time of night.  Found one with a bunch of mods but a fun description (I don't remember its name).  NOTHING on it anywhere about it being private, friends-only, group-only, passworded, nothing. 

But the absolute second I got there, I...how to describe it?  I felt like I was being disgustedly side-eyed by the Mean Girls gathered by their lockers at school.  "Um...do we KNOW you?"  "Who is this?"  "Are you one of my Steam friends?"  Then...the server shut down!  Same deal as with you--I assume they did that so they could--here's an idea--make their friends-only server actually BE friends-only.

But, that was the only time I've gotten something like that. Thank god.  People.  If you don't put your settings right, _don't be mean to non-friends who join without KNOWING they weren't supposed to_.  It's not their fault; how could they have known?  Thank you.

(Obviously this wasn't YOUR server, AlternateMew, 'cos (a) they _did_ talk to/about me in chat and (b) there were already at least 3 people there.)

...Notorious

3 hours ago, AlternateMew said:

Counterpoint: I have to concentrate more on figuring out what the pictures in the worldgen settings mean than figuring out tabbed browsing and simple words. And those simple words are have a pretty big font size. And are right in the middle of the screen. How does that not stand out enough?

Friend hosted server, forgot to limit it to two people. Someone joined us, we panicked. Granted, we didn't kick them. We shut down the server, than relaunched it with the correct player limit. Problem solved?

Worst part was probably that we don't use the in-game chat (don't need to when you're in the same room), so that poor soul probably never knew what the heck happened.

Shutting down a server and banning without reasons are worlds away if you ask me. I don't think you should compare yourself to those who ban just because they did not bother with a password/friends-only. 

15 hours ago, Arlesienne said:

My theory: lazy players do not care to make a password as it is far easier to kick people than come up with a sensible password and then spread it between all buddies.

Well... You could set it to friends only... Which is like one click away; literally ONE!

4 hours ago, AlternateMew said:

... Your second paragraph in reply to Arleselienne, describes an event that contradicts your first paragraph with a statement in reply to me; it seems like you never knew the "friends" option existed, as stated above in my first paragraph, so what's at fault here? You simply forgot about it? Didn't know it existed? If you didn't know then whyb didn't you know? My point was that the UI looks boring, hence why nobody really gets into it. Is this the case for you in your situation?

42 minutes ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

Well... You could set it to friends only... Which is like one click away; literally ONE

One whole click away? Never. Besides, I like to lure unsuspecting players in my messed up world.

18 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

Well... You could set it to friends only... Which is like one click away; literally ONE!

... Your second paragraph in reply to Arleselienne, describes an event that contradicts your first paragraph with a statement in reply to me; it seems like you never knew the "friends" option existed, as stated above in my first paragraph, so what's at fault here? You simply forgot about it? Didn't know it existed? If you didn't know then whyb didn't you know? My point was that the UI looks boring, hence why nobody really gets into it. Is this the case for you in your situation?

Not quite the case, no.

It was a one-time fluke that we've made sure not to repeat. If it doesn't show through, I did feel bad about that. We, or rather he, since he was hosting, knew about LAN and player limits. But even if the settings were in the form of a flashing neon sign being as obtrusive as ads in the early days of the internet, humans can still slip up and make mistakes now and then. If I remember correctly, it was supposed to have been launched as a LAN server, but got launched as an online one via mistake, and the player limit/password protection when we're on LAN isn't exactly an issue.

Friends only seems to not work for us. Or at least, it didn't when we tried it, and we haven't bothered since. As for why, I never found out. Probably would work now, but alas, the present is not the past.

I mostly mentioned it as a way to say that sometimes people mess up. It shouldn't happen often, but rarely does not mean never. Which can account for some incidents when people get kicked for no reason. Clearly not all of them, of course. Probably not even the majority of them. Just hoping to show that not all kicks/disconnects are with purely malicious intent.

14 hours ago, AlternateMew said:

Not quite the case, no.

It was a one-time fluke that we've made sure not to repeat. If it doesn't show through, I did feel bad about that. We, or rather he, since he was hosting, knew about LAN and player limits. But even if the settings were in the form of a flashing neon sign being as obtrusive as ads in the early days of the internet, humans can still slip up and make mistakes now and then. If I remember correctly, it was supposed to have been launched as a LAN server, but got launched as an online one via mistake, and the player limit/password protection when we're on LAN isn't exactly an issue.

Friends only seems to not work for us. Or at least, it didn't when we tried it, and we haven't bothered since. As for why, I never found out. Probably would work now, but alas, the present is not the past.

I mostly mentioned it as a way to say that sometimes people mess up. It shouldn't happen often, but rarely does not mean never. Which can account for some incidents when people get kicked for no reason. Clearly not all of them, of course. Probably not even the majority of them. Just hoping to show that not all kicks/disconnects are with purely malicious intent.

Friends-only is related to Steam friends. So you may want to look into this.

I seem to have found one cause of this issue, guys. I got banned at the speed of light today. I added on steam the host who banned me. They explained that they have emm... a really weird situation going on; they don't have that many players to play with and they let others join. Then, in the middle of their session, a friend of the host decides they don't want more than 4 players on there, but the host wants 6 players and they have 6 slots available. The host deciding that they'll go with what their friend decides upon, banned me as the 5th incoming player. I was later told by the host about it when I got in contact with them on steam.

So, a solution in this case could be to be able to shorten and extend the amount of player slots you want your server to have manually whilst the server is running and not have to restart the server every time to shorten or extend the player amount. The host of the server too approved of this idea, so what do you guys think?

Lets try to break down the causes of the banning at the speed of light as much as possible and make sure that doesn't happen as much/anymore!

Edit: Being able to un-ban people whilst the game is running would be great too, as suggested by the host of the server I got banned on :p and passwords... you know what; lets just be able to change as many server setting as possible whilst the game is running, like password protection and so forth.

Another edit: And actually... if we could PvP other players in the middle of a PvE run... the griefers would need to watch out :wilson_evil:

10 hours ago, Arlesienne said:

Friends-only is related to Steam friends. So you may want to look into this.

Unfortunately, we already knew. The Steam Friends list was fine - I gift him games using it fairly frequently. Which included DST. It's a strange issue I never bothered to figure out because there are workarounds that are easy enough.

On 25.08.2016 at 7:43 AM, AlternateMew said:

Unfortunately, we already knew. The Steam Friends list was fine - I gift him games using it fairly frequently. Which included DST. It's a strange issue I never bothered to figure out because there are workarounds that are easy enough.

So all players involved were on each other's friendlists? And I agree, a passworded server is easier.

1 hour ago, Arlesienne said:

So all players involved were on each other's friendlists? And I agree, a passworded server is easier.

Yes. My computer can be oddly finicky at times, so I blame something on my end. What that is, I'm not sure.

We make sure to use LAN exclusively and set the limit is set to two people now, haven't had an issue since. The most common mistake now is forgetting to enable caves. Luckily the caves are the first thing I go after as soon as I get a pick, so that gets remedied before we get a chance to settle.

Archived