The Beaver Needs A Buff

Buff The Beaver?  

112 members have voted

1. 1. You would like to see the Werebeaver buffed in DST?

• Yes
    • No

3 minutes ago, hyiltiz said:

Good ideas, but too much change brought into table so it is not even Woodie anymore. I would say some of the (first half) can be considered tho.

I keep getting this response which I find oddly humorous as most of these suggestions are trying to turn him back into single player beaver. As it stands in the single to multi change, it's not even Woodie anymore yet it is. His mechanics are completely changed and kind of have to be for this game. 

What suggestions would you have?

47 minutes ago, StarvedKasad said:

I love woodie in DST,I just don't understand why they nerfed his transformation so much.

I can understand why it happened (having access to infinite tentacle spike damage right out of spawn by it's self could be seen as possibly been pushing it a bit) but they went a bit over the top with it if you ask me.

Personally all I want is for the Werebeaver to be able to wear hats like pigs and bunnymen can, being able use a football helmet would help with the werebeaver's defence (maybe sanity restoring hats could reduce the sanity loss by [X] amount depending on the hat, as you'd be giving up armor for it).

Maybe a slight attack boost to be on par with an axe atleast but I'd be pretty happy about Beaver hats.

• Developer

How characters play in DST is something we think about a lot, and I really appreciate all the discussion in this thread. At the moment we're not trying to make all the characters equal to each other in terms of strength, at least until we are working on content that might require more balanced characters. In general, I think that it's important to keep characters within a reasonable spectrum of strength, but right now DST isn't an experience that demands the same attention to balancing characters as something like Dota.

That said, I definitely understand that balance is only part of this discussion, and that in addition some of you are saying that Werebeaver is unfun to play aside from balance. While we're not super interested in making sure all the characters are exactly the same strength, we're interested in making sure the characters are fun and interesting to play. We'll keep a close eye on all these suggestions and keep it in mind as we have character discussions in the future, and make sure to keep the suggestions coming. 

I think Woodie should kinda stay the same in some ways.. the he should still lose sanity quickly, because the beaver is a curse, but he should be stronger, and he should have way more protection. I love woodie (Hence my Inventory on steam and my profile pic) (Steam name" MDShadowMan) I feel fine with changing thought, if I have good enough sanity.. and I think he should be able to wear armour..

Thank you for your reply, jamesl. Personally I think Werebeaver is not really that fun right now as Maxwell's puppets have taken the place of Woodie's primary function: wood gathering. He's also not strong enough to have another role, so being Werebeaver is kinda painful. This works if it is intended as only being a curse, though.

Being werebeaver is currently unfun, considering how the nightmares prevent you from actually having any.  I think there was a lot of great balance suggestion on this thread, and a lot of fun additions.  I hope Klei decides to consider going through all the characters at some point and making sure they're all fun to play.  It'd be great to have a reason to play Willow again, along with going beaver.

Will also say, imo, that Woodie's trip through the portal was probably the most disappointing moment of the entire early access experience.

Was just SO excited to play him and haven't touched him since that first fateful day.  I just didn't find him fun.

It's like walking outside to your sexy midlife-crisis sports car and finding the engine has been replaced w/ go-kart's.  It's really just not even close the same experience as single player, even if it looks pretty similar.

He's the only character my fiance has forced me to use the console so that she could go back and pick someone else for, lol.  Not really evidence of much, but I thought that was an amusing tidbit.

1 hour ago, DwerBomb said:

Thank you for your reply, jamesl. Personally I think Werebeaver is not really that fun right now as Maxwell's puppets have taken the place of Woodie's primary function: wood gathering. He's also not strong enough to have another role, so being Werebeaver is kinda painful. This works if it is intended as only being a curse, though.

It is very hard to keep Maxwell alive, unless you know bells and whistles of the game, or just tend to base and let others do the exploring and fighting. On the other hand, Woodie is not that feeble. Also, the beaver works exceptionally well for gathering nightmare fuel, almost as elegant as Maxwell's method of generating too many puppets; Woodie can very quickly turn beaver, and beaver turns insane very quickly. This adds Woodie among Maxwell and Wes, who can farm nightmare fuel pretty much at will, while others were looking for stupid things to eat, or wormholes to jump back and forth.

So, Woodie is probably fine. Just turn the log meter upside down as suggested above please. It is rather confusing. And, maybe the hats.

5 minutes ago, leonseye said:

He's the only character my fiance has forced me to use the console so that she could go back and pick someone else for, lol.  Not really evidence of much, but I thought that was an amusing tidbit.

I just saw someone did that yesterday as well, who was cousin of someone well known in this community.

I'd also like to point out that woodie is the only character that can dominate a cave close to a bunny village mainly because he has an infinite amount of axe uses and restoring sanity is really easy by replanting cones or other trees.So I'm only negative about his transformation atm and perhaps the annoying log to chopping tree ratio with I think is something like 2 to 1 (I lose 1 log for every 5 hits or something) .

17 minutes ago, StarvedKasad said:

I'd also like to point out that woodie is the only character that can dominate a cave close to a bunny village

He is not. We already discussed this.

ANY character can dominate a cave close to a bunny village.

5 hours ago, DwerBomb said:

This works if it is intended as only being a curse, though.

Uh, it is a curse.. Literally, a curse... thats the point of the werebeaver..

3 hours ago, hyiltiz said:

So, Woodie is probably fine. Just turn the log meter upside down as suggested above please. It is rather confusing. And, maybe the hats.

Turn the meter upside down> I like it how it is now.. he doesnt eat enough wood, he turns into were beaver

@hyiltiz I agree with what your saying about sanity but I think it would be better if it was a sanity loss at the end of transformation rather tahn throughout then you can have the same benifit of reducing your sanity but you can stay in werebeaver for longer. If not that maybe a way for werebeaver to increase his health, sanity and hunger while in the form to counteract the drain.

12 hours ago, DwerBomb said:

That's what I meant. But it being a curse doesn't mean it shouldn't be fun 

Well idk what they could change.. except for letting it wear armour or something.. because the sanity drop makes sense.. you go crazy as you are the werebeaver.. because the curse..

3 minutes ago, Mdshadowman said:

because the sanity drop makes sense.. you go crazy as you are the werebeaver.. because the curse..

Yeah, but you missed the part where it's simply not fun that you got 2 minutes to kill 2 spiders, chop 1 tree, and kill one spider den level 1 before you get your sanity to 0 and get pursued by 4 terrorbeaks.

If you mean that the curse should be awful and therefore nobody should ever want to play it, then the beaver is a success 10/10.

15 minutes ago, Mdshadowman said:

Well idk what they could change.. except for letting it wear armour or something.. because the sanity drop makes sense.. you go crazy as you are the werebeaver.. because the curse..

You could make him not the biggest weakling in the game.

You could make him not a death waiting to happen against almost any giant.

Right now, he's basically Wilson who can gather faster.  Maxwell does that too.  And with much more panache.  Heck, I'd even much rather take Maxy into a fight than Woodie, as they stand.

Woodie doesn't really bring anything to the table, currently, and that's kinda the problem.

58 minutes ago, leonseye said:

You could make him not the biggest weakling in the game.

You could make him not a death waiting to happen against almost any giant.

Right now, he's basically Wilson who can gather faster.  Maxwell does that too.  And with much more panache.  Heck, I'd even much rather take Maxy into a fight than Woodie, as they stand.

Woodie doesn't really bring anything to the table, currently, and that's kinda the problem.

I like woodie, so i dont really care what they do to him..

12 minutes ago, Mdshadowman said:

I like woodie, so i dont really care what they do to him..

And that's fine.  Nobody said you can't like Woodie.  <.<

I liked Woodie too, in DS, where he was a lot more fun to play, imo.

On 6/1/2016 at 6:44 PM, jamesl said:

How characters play in DST is something we think about a lot, and I really appreciate all the discussion in this thread. At the moment we're not trying to make all the characters equal to each other in terms of strength, at least until we are working on content that might require more balanced characters.

The main issue with the Werebeaver being terrible is not that it makes Woodie imbalanced in comparison to other characters, but rather it makes Woodie very not fun to play. 

On 5/25/2016 at 10:36 PM, Mario384 said:

- Remove sanity's effects as Beaver

- Add stat drops when changing back to Woodie

As a normal Woodie main in DST, and have going back and played Woodie in DS, this i would die to see happen
It is really, and i mean REALLY annoying when you have max sanity, and espically during fullmoons, you go insane in two minuets or less,

The stat drops also look nice too, kinda looks like Woodie woke up the next day (which we all know, sleeping is not a thing in DST, in terms of day skipping).

- Add a way to heal, maybe by eating wooden things as the Beaver.

Why not make his "Beaver Hide" stronger? Not like where it requires two Wigfrids to stun lock him lol.

But IMO, what you said should happen. But i also think, like i just said, Woodie should have his "Beaver Hide" given abit more strength (It still hurts gitting hit by stuff) or make it split between health & and the wood meter (like base game, except with health). Others can disagree with me on this, as, losing health isnt always so fun when your low on recovery items, or its Winter.

- Re-add dropping your items on change.  This makes changing more strategic if you plan going back and forth

I dont know if someone covered this (apologies if someone did), if Woodie did, basically some newbie could steal his stuff, or some troll, even tho you already drop all wearable and held items. Better off keeping the dropped wearables and handhelds (which is much safer to just store in your inventory).

Also, does anyone else think Wearbeaver should get more emotes? He already has /dance god dangit!

On 5/26/2016 at 1:05 PM, Maslak said:

Well, Maxwell is better in harvesting resources than Woodie.

the irony behind this is, my friend went waxwell in one world while i was wigfrid, i died inside at the chaos those logger caused..
but hey, wearbeaver could nullify a poision nutter if woodie spots him quick enough! (Since loggers run away like crybabies)

17 minutes ago, MedicOrNot said:

*Woodie stuff*

As another Woodie Main I pretty much agree about nearly everything the guy above me said, though I'd prefer if the stat drops when turning back into Woodie didn't make a return, atleast until Werebeaver could be viable for stuff beyond quick resource gathering. Gaining sanity as Woodie is pretty trivial anyway if you're remotely near any trees, or keep pinecones on you, the issue is the sanity loss is too quick as the Werebeaver so you can barely do anything before going completely insane. 

I'd also prefer for the Werebeaver to be able to wear hats, even if he got higher natural defence, partly because I wanna be the most dapper dancing beaver around, also head armor but maybe that would be asking for too much.

Also yes to more Werebeaver emotes. Also maybe elegants effecting werebeaver appearance? Pls Clay?

Archived