Catching crabs alive?

Why bother catching crabs alive if they are the same exact thing as fish morsels? I really feel like there should be at least 1 special use for a living crab... like at least providing some meat when alive... or a special recipe requiring living crabs? Maybe being able to replant crabs somewhere else to create a crab farm?

It's true, Rabbits have uses (notably Prestihatitator), as well as Butterflies (they can be planted to create flowers). But Crabs, not so much. Don't get me wrong, they're my preferred source of Bone Shards, but there's nothing strictly significant about Crabs.

But what to do with them? Well, what are real-life crabs used for except food? I only found one significant use for crabs via the I'm Feeling Lucky button on Google, but it's a neat idea.

The horseshoe crab isn't technically a crab, but since in-game Crabs drop fish meat, I think we can let it slide. Part of their autoimmune system consists of special blood cells that detect bacterial lipoglycans and release a clotting agent when triggered, effectively isolating the bacterium during the process of clotting. These cells are in fact so sensitive that they are extracted by us humans to produce a substance called limulus amebocyte lysate, which is used to detect bacterial endotoxins even in the tiniest amounts.

Enough with the biology. What does this mean for Don't Starve Crabs? What if you took something like a Crab, a Seaweed and two Seashells and used them to produce an item called Anti Biotic that could be used to lessen the effect of poison until such a time that you could produce an Anti Venom? It wouldn't have to be anything dramatic: just clamp the damage per second to some manageable rate that you could live with in place of its scaling damage.

They used to become spoiled fish 2 updates ago. Which doesn't happen anymore.

I want Crab Cakes recipe in the crock pot.

Maybe Live crabs can be attached to drying rack to get spoiled fish?

Live crabs can also make crab dens if they don't have one, that could be interesting too.

They have an existing use where you can give them to altar of snackrifice. Live crabs give twice the appeasement of fish morsels.

I think live crabs would make good ammo.  In addition to doing some damage it would keep the target frantically occupied for a bit trying to get a live angry crab off of it.

Or maybe if you gave a monkey a live crab it would get bit or clawed or something, drop the crab, run away and leave you alone for a while.  This could have the bonus of a very entertaining sound effect.

Drop them in the water as a decoy/bait to distract bitey things?

19 minutes ago, hotflungwok said:

I think live crabs would make good ammo.  In addition to doing some damage it would keep the target frantically occupied for a bit trying to get a live angry crab off of it.

Or maybe if you gave a monkey a live crab it would get bit or clawed or something, drop the crab, run away and leave you alone for a while.  This could have the bonus of a very entertaining sound effect.

Drop them in the water as a decoy/bait to distract bitey things?

Good idea :D

1 minute ago, TemporaryMan said:

I'd suggest walling them in a pen so you can collect a large number and slaughter them all for beard hair when your sanity dips, but unlike rabbits they'll just bury themselves in the sand.  If only there was a way to prevent that...

When they bury put a trap on them. You'll capture them easily.

1 hour ago, SepiaPaper said:

now dog fish and sword fish provide rotten fish...ahhh the smell of failure!

Not that this matters really now that Spearguns are viable for hunting Dogfish i use them pretty frequently to gather some dead Dogfish and turn them into Spoiled fish.

Although i do agree that we need some use for alive crabs cause atm i don't even bother with them other then maybe get a bit more Sand if i don't feel like sailing to another island to get more but the Fishmorsel is pretty worthless with Limpets and Mussels being a thing.

46 minutes ago, Mr.P said:

Not that this matters really now that Spearguns are viable for hunting Dogfish i use them pretty frequently to gather some dead Dogfish and turn them into Spoiled fish.

Although i do agree that we need some use for alive crabs cause atm i don't even bother with them other then maybe get a bit more Sand if i don't feel like sailing to another island to get more but the Fishmorsel is pretty worthless with Limpets and Mussels being a thing.

not to mention the fact when you drop a piece of meat in the middle of an herd of those crabs, all of em starting moving toward it like zombies...braaiins...

Archived