Dedicated Server Quick Setup Guide - Windows

3 hours ago, n0xxx said:

i'm still getting the same error message... does it matter that i have steam installed on my D: drive instead of C: ??

I have mine installed on another partition as well.

Since we've both done the same thing differently, it would be safe to assume that this is the reason we are having the same issue.

The instructions in the OP should be updated, since the instructions in the linked page for installing steamcmd only give an example of where you CAN install, but we're expected to install it there no matter what.

"Don't touch something that already works."

This completely broke my 1800 days running server saves. I somehow managed to restore the world, but not player saves.

Anyway can you guys please give FULL list of parameters and information on what of said parameters can be put inside server.ini, client.ini and cluster.ini, since you decided to change and remove and rearrange some/most of them into many different config files (because reasons), i have no clue what does what anymore and what can be where exactly. Also provide EXAMPLE VALUES on said parameters as well.

Good job guys, you've done it yet again!

Edited by DejaVuZXY
  • Like 3

So I have to re-learn how to config a dedicated server? maybe I lose my worlds , my friends are keeping talking about lag and disconnects from no reason, Im pretty angry about this update, now I wanna play and I can't join my old world cause they changed it, in the same time me and my friends want to uninstall it..

I remember running a DayZ Epoch server for a year, had 30+ regulars on every day (custom scripts, donor loadouts, the lot. A sweet community). Then Epoch started releasing broken "beta" updates, with hardly any information about what has changed or how to set it up properly again. They'd fix it slowly, then go right ahead and release another update that meant nothing worked for days while server owners figured out what the hell went wrong. Worse part about all this was that they'd have the updates in closed beta testing for months beforehand. 

I gave up trying to run an Epoch sever for this reason alone. I really hope DST don't push me in the same direction. 

You can't even install from scratch using the SteamCMD any more and I doubt the owner of GamesServerManagers will have his scripts updated any time soon, as they've put this issue down as a BUG lol.. 

I absolutely love this game. The graphics, the sounds, the characters, even the community here. But I'm really starting to loathe the dedicated server side of things. I totally feel for the guy that just lost 1800 days worth of server game time, that's harsh! 

If the devs could fix it so people can do clean installs with steamcmd , one that creates the correct folder structure and example ini's etc. Then maybe the likes the me and others can actually get back on track and keep supporting this wonderful game! 

Good luck to the devs at getting this sorted , the game is worth the wait I guess. 

Edited by haywardGB

8 hours ago, Gingerbread said:

it does not work I guess they will be under Cluster_1 not under save anymore lemme try and I will report back..

OnLoadPermissionList: /home/username/.klei//DoNotStarveTogether/Cluster_1/blocklist.txt (Failure)
OnLoadPermissionList: /home/username/.klei//DoNotStarveTogether/Cluster_1/adminlist.txt (Failure)
OnLoadUserIdList: /home/username/.klei//DoNotStarveTogether/Cluster_1/whitelist.txt (Failure)

See the double forward slash after .klei ... That's not right, it did that on my server to so I gave up for now until the next patch, hopefully that will fix things. If you're not a linux guru, then this is going to keep confusing and stumping the hell out of you until they clean up the install process for SteamCMD or maybe update the wiki with clear step by step again.. 

4 minutes ago, haywardGB said:

See the double forward slash after .klei ... That's not right, it did that on my server to so I gave up for now until the next patch, hopefully that will fix things. If you're not a linux guru, then this is going to keep confusing and stumping the hell out of you until they clean up the install process for SteamCMD or maybe update the wiki with clear step by step again.. 

If you read my comment after this you can see I was able to make it work.. As you can see above, actually log file gives you tip about where to put these three files. I put them and in next server startup Success was written for all three lines inside parenthesis and I confirmed that because today one of the admins joined up to server and we confirmed.

Edited by Gingerbread
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stephen1337 said:

How can I change my world setting?
How can i use mods on server ?
How can i use my old save on server ?

Enter to "Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\Master"

Create "worldgenoverride.lua" file and configure 

return {
  override_enabled = true,

animals = { -- "never", "rare", "default", "often", "always"
    alternatehunt = "default",
    angrybees = "default",
    beefalo = "default",
    beefaloheat = "default",
    bees = "default",
    birds = "default",
    butterfly = "default",
    buzzard = "default",
    catcoon = "often",
    frogs = "default",
    hunt = "often",
    lightninggoat = "default",
    moles = "default",
    penguins = "default",
    perd = "default",
    pigs = "default",
    rabbits = "default",
    tallbirds = "default"
  },

misc = {
    boons = "default", -- "never", "rare", "default", "often", "always"
    branching = "default", -- "never", "least", "default", "most"
    day = "longday", --"onlyday", "onlydusk", "onlynight", "default", "longday", "longdusk", "longnight"
    frograin = "default", -- "never", "rare", "default", "often", "always"
    lightning = "default", -- "never", "rare", "default", "often", "always"
    loop = "default", -- "never", "default", "always"
    season = "default", -- "onlysummer", "onlywinter", "default", "longsummer", "longwinter", "longboth", "shortboth"
    season_start = "autumn", -- "default", "winter", "spring", "summer", "random"
    touchstone = "default", -- "never", "rare", "default", "often", "always"
    weather = "default", -- "never", "rare", "default", "often", "always"
    world_size = "default", -- "default", "medium", "large", "huge"
    wildfires = "default" -- "never", "rare", "default", "often", "always"
  },

monsters = { -- "never", "rare", "default", "often", "always"
    bearger = "default",
    chess = "default",
    deciduousmonster = "default",
    deerclops = "default",
    dragonfly = "default",
    goosemoose = "default",
    hounds = "default",
    krampus = "default",
    liefs = "default",
    lureplants = "default",
    merm = "default",
    spiders = "default",
    tentacles = "default",
    walrus = "default"
  },

resources = { -- "never", "rare", "default", "often", "always"
    flint = "default",
    flowers = "default",
    grass = "default",
    marshbush = "default",
    meteorshowers = "default",
    meteorspawner = "default",
    reeds = "default",
    rock = "default",
    rocks = "default",
    sapling = "default",
    trees = "default",
    tumbleweed = "default"
  },

unprepared = { -- "never", "rare", "default", "often", "always"
    berrybush = "default",
    cactus = "default",
    carrot = "default",
    mushroom = "default"
  }
}

P.S Sorry i don't know how to use spoiler.

Edited by AllenHydra

I decided to put all my DST servers offline until Klei can realise why they are a pretty bad development team and try to pull their act together. I don't mean to flame or be harsh, but simply speak the truth here. The game is wonderful and it could potentially be a good game but unfortunately the entire development team MUST change. Also please don't hide behind "it's an alpha/beta/gamma early access, whatever version" that is only an excuse for incompetent developers to hide behind. Good software can be developed even in early stages if proper knowledge and then testing goes into it.

There is no good documentation for the changes being made on different updates. Pretty much every single update they release nearly ALWAYS breaks something in some way, may it be mods, new bugs in game or the game itself gets broken. There is no 1 place to get all the information you need about the game and on how to set up the servers for it or tweak settings etc. Even wikia gave up and simply directed people to Klei forums because it's all a huge mess. I have been with the games development progress for a long time and it only gets worse over time. Who the hell releases an updates before a weekend? So that the game gets broken, people can't enjoy it during their free days and developers are away? The only reason this game is still alive is because of modding support and modders in general who have come together and fix massive performance problems etc, some of these mods were written in a day (that help to reduce performance problems a lot). Why couldn't Klei do it in all those months?

I have some free time at the end of this month and I am willing to teach and guide Klei's development team on how to improve the development process because otherwise this is going to be another game that has huge potential, but bites the dust because of developers lack of knowledge about workflow.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DejaVuZXY said:

I decided to put all my DST servers offline until Klei can realise why they are a pretty bad development team and try to pull their act together. I don't mean to flame or be harsh, but simply speak the truth here. The game is wonderful and it could potentially be a good game but unfortunately the entire development team MUST change. Also please don't hide behind "it's an alpha/beta/gamma early access, whatever version" that is only an excuse for incompetent developers to hide behind. Good software can be developed even in early stages if proper knowledge and then testing goes into it.

snipped....

Plus 1 to this post.. 

I had several regulars who were really enjoying my server, they were on every evening. I was looking forward to a slow weekend of game play and relaxing with them, but this has thrown a spanner in the works. Had they released this with a few days during the working week to spare, I'd not be so upset right now. But you're right, wtf were they thinking doing this right before a weekend? lol

I've lost faith in their Beta branch too. What's the point of having that if they're just going to release the patch without proper install guides, no updates with new folder structure through steamcmd or possibly even a migration tool for Linux/Windows. It feels like a knee jerk release, like someone in the development team just couldn't wait until they'd properly tested and polished off the installation process. 

I'm not hating on them, neither are you I'm sure, I'm just frustrated by their messy patch release process! They should have sorted all this out with the beta branch testers first. I don't want to spend every other weekend fixing my server due to a hasty patch release!  

Edit: On a cheery note.. I sold a Tux on Steam Market today for £10 . So I made my money back on the game purchase plus some. If the devs fix this server install process, I'll buy another copy with that money to gift to my friends, as I think the game needs to be shared :)

Edited by haywardGB

I know how download and use mods!

This is my way:

1.Copy dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua and modsettings.lua from old folder.

01.png

2.Paste it to:C:\steamcmd\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\mods

02.png

3.Edit this .bat: \\Documents\Klei\StartDSTServers.bat

03.png

4.Run it.

:)

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Maoo said:

I know how download and use mods!

This is my way:

1.Copy dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua and modsettings.lua from old folder.

Spoiler

01.png

Spoiler

2.Paste it to:C:\steamcmd\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\mods

02.png

3.Edit this .bat: \\Documents\Klei\StartDSTServers.bat

03.png

4.Run it.

:)

Still didn't work.

but this "::" its pretty useful thanks

I tried change bind ip and master ip for my Internet Ip Adress it works, my friends can join me this way, but the caves can't connect with the server. :/

[SHARD]
shard_enabled = true
bind_ip = 127.0.0.1     <<<<<
master_ip = 127.0.0.1 <<<<<
master_port = 10889
cluster_key = supersecretkey

Log when someone try connect me

join.jpg