Dedicated Server Quick Setup Guide - Windows

Sure, I'm willing to accept I'm missing something really obvious here. But my point is that I'm not as clued up as yourself or the helpful Ginger. So maybe I'm not meant to be running a DST server :p

The VPS has no firewall running and no proxy issues. It's open to all incoming traffic and outgoing. I've set up an IRC server, FTP server and web server on it to test for issues with traffic. My provider has looked at it for me and they say the servers aren't restricted in any way..   

Does this help ? FYI: I have checked no spaces etc in key token file.. I read your point on that in your other thread :) .. I also got it from the same place your screenshots point to.

System Name: Linux
Host Name: sandbox.dst
Release(Kernel) Version: 3.13.0-68-generic
Kernel Build Timestamp: #111-Ubuntu SMP Fri Nov 6 18:17:06 UTC 2015
Machine Arch: x86_64
Don't Starve Together: 166227 LINUX
NNN Build Date: 137
Parsing command line
Command Line Arguments: -console -cluster MyDediServer -shard Master
Legacy saves detected. Migrating to new structure...
THREAD - started 'GAClient' (4135824192)
CurlRequestManager::ClientThread::Main()
ProfileIndex:7.78
[Connect] PendingConnection::Reset(true)
Network tick rate: U=15(2), D=0
Network tick rate: U=15(2), D=0
OnLoadPermissionList: /home/hayward/.klei//DoNotStarveTogether/MyDediServer/blocklist.txt (Failure)
OnLoadPermissionList: /home/hayward/.klei//DoNotStarveTogether/MyDediServer/adminlist.txt (Failure)
OnLoadUserIdList: /home/hayward/.klei//DoNotStarveTogether/MyDediServer/whitelist.txt (Failure)
Token retrieved from: /home/hayward/.klei//DoNotStarveTogether/MyDediServer/cluster_token.txt
Token retrieved from: /home/hayward/.klei//DoNotStarveTogether/MyDediServer/cluster_token.txt
cGame::InitializeOnMainThread
THREAD - started 'ConsoleInput' (4128242496)
Renderer initialize: Okay
AnimManager initialize: Okay
Buffers initialize: Okay
cDontStarveGame::DoGameSpecificInitialize()
FMOD Error: An invalid object handle was used.
GameSpecific initialize: Okay
cGame::StartPlaying
LOADING LUA
DoLuaFile scripts/main.lua
DoLuaFile loading buffer scripts/main.lua
scripts/main.lua(166,1) running main.lua

loaded modindex
ModIndex: Beginning normal load sequence for dedicated server.

DownloadMods(0)
FMOD Error: An invalid object handle was used.
LOADING LUA SUCCESS
PlayerDeaths could not load morgue
PlayerHistory could not load player_history
bloom_enabled   false
Could not load saveindex
OnFilesLoaded()
OnUpdatePurchaseStateComplete
        Load FE
        Load FE: done
ModIndex: Load sequence finished successfully.
Reset() returning
[200] Account Failed (6): "E_EXPIRED_TOKEN"
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!! Your Server Will Not Start !!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No auth token could be found.
To generate a cluster_token you must
open the console from a logged-in game
client with the tilda key (~ / ▒) and type:
TheNet:GenerateClusterToken()
This will create 'cluster_token.txt' in
your client settings directory. Copy this
into your cluster settings directory.
[Connect] PendingConnection::Reset(true)

Ok . I'm going to try and do as you both suggest now. Copy the file from my pc directly without cutting pasting the contents. I'll need half an hour so though as I'm heading for dinner quickly.. Thanks again , both of you :)

Edited by haywardGB
  • Like 2

I'm asking too much if I also explain briefly how I should proceed?
pretending to start from scratch, drain the stemcmd, install the game, launch dont starve nullrendererer files to create the game files, what next? Here I stand

6 minutes ago, haywardGB said:

Ok . I'm going to try and do as you both suggest now. Copy the file from my pc directly without cutting pasting the contents. I'll need half an hour so though as I'm heading for dinner quickly.. Thanks again , both of you :)

@haywardGB

if still not working, give news of your problem please

we can help you me and @Gingerbread without problem and we want your server works :)

Edited by ToNiO55
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, KittenCanaveral said:

Using good 'ol Red Hat :)

@KittenCanaveral

if you are on Red-Hat, i hope you have don't miss to install some packages?

yum install glibc libstdc++
yum -y install glibc.i686
yum install libcurl.so.4
yum install libstdc++.so.6
yum install screen

if you have error with libcurl.so.4:

cd /usr/lib
ln -s libcurl.so.4 libcurl-gnutls.so.4

here's what you asked:

Spoiler

cluster_token.txt:

/home/your_user/.klei/DoNotStarveTogether/MyDediServer/cluster_token.txt

cluster.ini:

/home/your_user/.klei/DoNotStarveTogether/MyDediServer/cluster.ini

adminlist.txt,blocklist.txt,whitelist.txt:

/home/your_user/.klei/DoNotStarveTogether/MyDediServer/adminlist.txt

/home/your_user/.klei/DoNotStarveTogether/MyDediServer/blocklist.txt

/home/your_user/.klei/DoNotStarveTogether/MyDediServer/whitelist.txt

server.ini:

/home/your_user/.klei/DoNotStarveTogether/MyDediServer/Master/server.ini

/home/your_user/.klei/DoNotStarveTogether/MyDediServer/Caves/server.ini

modoverrides.lua:

/home/your_user/.klei/DoNotStarveTogether/MyDediServer/Master/modoverrides.lua

/home/your_user/.klei/DoNotStarveTogether/MyDediServer/Caves/modoverrides.lua

worldgenoverride.lua:

/home/your_user/.klei/DoNotStarveTogether/MyDediServer/Master/worldgenoverride.lua

/home/your_user/.klei/DoNotStarveTogether/MyDediServer/Caves/worldgenoverride.lua

dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua:

/home/your_user/server/mods/dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua

modsettings.lua:

/home/your_user/server/mods/modsettings.lua

Edited by ToNiO55
  • Like 1

Would it be possible for someone to do/make a YouTube video demonstrating what to do? I'm still lost and all of this is confusing to me. In this set up is there a way to name the servers and a password or do I do all that in the game itself? Also how do I get my friends to join?

• Like 1

Is the format for worldgenoverride.lua changed? I have this for Master:

return {
override_enabled = true,
misc = {
   day = "longday", 
   winter = "noseason",
   summer = "noseason", 
   world_size = "medium", 
       }
}

But it turned Winter the minute I logged in, funnily enough after I opened a chest that was just sitting there that had a wooly hat and jacket in it ? :p

2 minutes ago, Exentric90 said:

Ìm still getting the Token error on my ubuntu server.

I have copied the file and not the plain text.

I also tried to put it in my cluster.ini under the [ACCOUNT] but that is also not working.

Help?

I just had this again too, what I'd done is forgot to replace -cluster Cluster_1 with -cluster MyDediServer ..

screen -Sdm "world" bash -c './dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer -console -cluster MyDediServer -shard Master'

• Like 1

Just now, haywardGB said:

I just had this again too, what I'd done is forgot to replace -cluster Cluster_1 with -cluster MyDediServer ..

screen -Sdm "world" bash -c './dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer -console -cluster MyDediServer -shard Master'

I actually fixed it just now.

I was using the wrong directory, i was using /root/.klei/MyDediServer instead of /root/.klei/DoNotStarveTogether/MyDediServer

Such a noob mistake :-P

• Like 1

Now when I run the cave server, I get out of memory errors..
WTF? I've run ARMA and DAYZ on these servers!!! I'm not paying for extra memory or another VPS just so I can run an obviously poorly optimised game server. Why the hell do you need 2 servers to host one game anyway? Minecraft managed to give the underworld experience without needing an extra server, and that game is a memory hog too, but I can run that fine on my VPS even with a massive player base!!!!.... 

Edit: I'll say it again because it's true. Thank you to the community for doing their utmost to help me and others get this working. If it wasn't for you guys/gals I would have given up much sooner. At least I've learnt some skills with Linux along the way (thanks Toni), that's the only good thing I can take from this long couple of days fiasco. Overall I have to say, I've lost faith in this game and the dev team. I hope they learn from this.  

Edited by haywardGB
  • Like 1

I regret having to append to what was said by hayward GB but partly absolutely right. I spent almost three weeks which is unfamiliar to set everything to work I'm playing with the quarries, and now I find myself with three months' rent paid for a linux server to which they are not able to fix things. also find it a bit absurd that the Klei releases explanations only for Windows users, and Linux users have been able to do something just because of the comunity and enthusiasts who have published guides ... please, fill a clear guide for those who up to now he has always followed with passion this game and maybe would like to continue to do so without having to go crazy every time to redo things ... and almost a year that I hire a dedicated server and a citadel that next month with a vps linux, and I had to take the second on purpose to have the caves, and time and everything stopped.
if luck has it that no one will find the time to publish a guide for linux soon, I will have wasted money needlessly. I'm sorry to debate, but I had to vent a little bit of my discontent.Thank still very users who have tried to give me assitance

• Like 1

@ToNiO55 , I think that I managed to get all the files into the right locations , but I am still receiving an error about the token despite gening a new one and moving it over tho the box as well as having it pasted into the cluster.ini .

also this is being spit out when I know that I have permission to write to those folders

[string "scripts/mainfunctions.lua"]:827: Unable to write to config directory. Please make sure you have permissions for your Klei save folder.
LUA ERROR stack traceback:
=[C]:-1 in (global) assert (C) <-1--1>
scripts/mainfunctions.lua:827 in () ? (Lua) <816-828>

[string "scripts/mainfunctions.lua"]:827: Unable to write to config directory. Please make sure you have permissions for your Klei save folder.
LUA ERROR stack traceback:
    =[C]:-1 in (global) assert (C) <-1--1>
    scripts/mainfunctions.lua:827 in () ? (Lua) <816-828>

Now I've done exactly following this guide, however, my world ends up with two servers with identical names available to be connected.

And I can connect to both - one is overworld, one is cave, but they are not connected together. When I dig through the cave entrance of overworld, there's only a wooden board instead of a whole, blocking me going down.

Anyone got this or could help?

Many thanks in advance.

3 hours ago, KittenCanaveral said:

@ToNiO55  Since you have it working can you post a list of the files and the structure you have them ? I thik I can work off that to find some of what I am missing.

~/.klei/DoNotStarveTogether/Cluster_1

Cluster_1.jpg

~/.klei/DoNotStarveTogether/Cluster_1/Master

Master.jpg

~/.klei/DoNotStarveTogether/Cluster_1/Caves

Caves.jpg

Edited by Gingerbread

1 hour ago, haywardGB said:

I'm done with this game.. Now when I run the cave server, I get out of memory errors..
WTF? I've run ARMA and DAYZ on these servers!!! I'm not paying for extra memory or another VPS just so I can run an obviously poorly optimised game server. Why the hell do you need 2 servers to host one game anyway? Minecraft managed to give the underworld experience without needing an extra server, and that game is a memory hog too, but I can run that fine on my VPS even with a massive player base!!!!.... 

Glad I got my money back (sold a tux on the market for £10).
I won't be giving this dev team my money again , that's for sure.

Good luck everyone, this game has turned to cancer!

Edit: I'll say it again because it's true. Thank you to the community for doing their utmost to help me and others get this working. If it wasn't for you guys/gals I would have given up much sooner. At least I've learnt some skills with Linux along the way (thanks Toni), that's the only good thing I can take from this long couple of days fiasco. Overall I have to say, I've lost faith in this game and the dev team. I hope they learn from this.  

how much memory u got? People keep saying 3GB memory is required and such but this is what i get from my both servers..

Gingerbread Cookies VPS

1426 MB used 2429 MB is free.

Gingerbread Cookies 2 VPS

1370 MB used 6424 MB free.

More than memory, problem seems to be about cpu with my servers.. So one shard has to work on a single core which causes problems at times.

Edited by Gingerbread

21 hours ago, 255 said:

@n0xxx: Where is your StartDSTServers.bat located?

it is located in C:\Users\User\Documents\Klei

i tried it with the edited .bat file, and the problem persists. However, i tried installing steamcmd into my D: drive (where steam and all of my games are installed), then changed the .bat file into:

Untitled1.png.dcefbdc536a536c0d50dece4cd

AND IT MIRACULOUSLY WORKED!!! i can now search and join my server! but can i ask you whether you anticipate any problems with this?

Edited by n0xxx

2 hours ago, Gingerbread said:

how much memory u got? People keep saying 3GB memory is required and such but this is what i get from my both servers..

Gingerbread Cookies VPS

1426 MB used 2429 MB is free.

Gingerbread Cookies 2 VPS

1370 MB used 6424 MB free.

More than memory, problem seems to be about cpu with my servers.. So one shard has to work on a single core which causes problems at times.

Each shard need a dedicated cpu core? Is this the reason why I can't run over world and cave at the same time ?