I never thought about it up to now but Wickerbottom knows a lot of recipes right after the start of the game 'cause she's librarian. Then what about Wilson? The science maniac guy who practices chemistry and alchemy(probably) at home and if you watched the origins trailer gets secret knowledge from Maxwell through the radio. Shouldn't he know a lot of things already from the science tab among the recipes? It makes sense to me. Whatcha think fellow forumers?

wilson.jpg.016843ababe65fb652c86bde129df

Wickerbottom has book knowledge, Wilson has applied knowledge.

Out of the two; it seems that Wickerbottom has the upper hand; because theory can usually  be put into practice without much difficulty. If you know how something works; you can do it. Wilson appears to be a very tiral& error type of 'scientist'.

I often thought that Wilson should have access to Level 1 alchemy items starting off though; he does have a strong grasp of pagan and magical practices. Heck, he created a dimension portal out of berries, rocks and crows! There must have been some ritual going on!

39 minutes ago, MycoLogical said:

I often thought that Wilson should have access to Level 1 alchemy items starting off though; he does have a strong grasp of pagan and magical practices. Heck, he created a dimension portal out of berries, rocks and crows! There must have been some ritual going on!

Yup.

15 minutes ago, The Letter W said:

I think it's because Maxwell taught Wilson what Maxwell wanted Wilson to know, and that's making the portal. Nothing else. I imagine he used that knowledge to make his own portal. 

Still he's a sort of scientist. 

6 hours ago, greenglacier said:

I never thought about it up to now but Wickerbottom knows a lot of recipes right after the start of the game 'cause she's librarian. Then what about Wilson? The science maniac guy who practices chemistry and alchemy(probably) at home and if you watched the origins trailer gets secret knowledge from Maxwell through the radio. Shouldn't he know a lot of things already from the science tab among the recipes? It makes sense to me. Whatcha think fellow forumers?

That's a really good point.

Well here is the thing Maxwell gave Wilson knowledge but who says he can only give knowledge? I mean it's very possible that Maxwell screwed with Wilsons mind after Wilson got pulled through thus forgetting a lot of things.

Maybe the Sciencemachine only makes him remember Things he used to know or something among those lines.

With Wicker i can easily immagine her having photografic memory thus she's easily able to remember stuff and because of that can remember the Recipes compared to anyone else.

Wilson is a gentleman scientist; that is, a scientist of his own accord. Independently dabbling in experimentation on his own time. The trailer makes it clear within the first twenty seconds that he's not very good at it either. When he gets secret knowledge from Maxwell, he immediately uses this knowledge to build a machine that strands him in Maxwell's creation. It's hard to say if he had any other knowledge.

1 hour ago, Mr.P said:

Maybe the Sciencemachine only makes him remember Things he used to know or something among those lines.

20 minutes ago, Ridd said:

The trailer makes it clear within the first twenty seconds that he's not very good at it either.

That's indeed true.

58 minutes ago, Ridd said:

The trailer makes it clear within the first twenty seconds that he's not very good at it either.

This is pretty much why I would assume he doesn't start w/ his own recipes.

He seems to be more of a hobbyist who likes trying things out, rather than a true scientist.

Archived