Is the game easy without the community guides and wiki?

I was wondering. Do you remember when you first started the game? My friend introduced me and showed me the basics. (make fire, dark is bad, cook mean before you it, craft tools for resources and make science building to make new stuff)

Then i spent many hours in wiki and trials. Now, i try teach 2 new friends of mine, they see it hard (you know, cause i speak to them and tell me do something i feel is clear enough...but it isnt)

Is it possible to learn so many basic details alone? Food values, recipes, using traps, crock pot, bee boxes, sanity management. Or for example, to get beard hair, you need beardlings (if not wilson), how the goodness would you imagine that if you lose sanity rabbits go to beardling mode.

What i say is, i love this game. DS and DST record more than 300h, still love it. But i wouldnt have done even a decent 20 day run without google. What about you?

No......not really. There's plenty of items in both Reign of Giants, DST, and even Shipwrecked that are gonna catch you off guard and make you upset and ded.

Even if you figure them out on your own, they're kinda tough. But the wiki has some extra strategies that can make things much easier.

Honestly, i dont know how would i spawn abigail for the first time without google. Or things like using bird for seeds of crops, killing spider nests lvl 3 for eggs and many other fundamental things.

And let alone, crock pot recipes, or other fundamentals, like how much hunger you lose each day, how much sanity, how many hits per boss.

I like having those basics. Like how to handle the bird, how to shave beefalo, how to make good dishes, or what parameters affect your 3 stats and how to manage your resources.

• Developer
I like having those basics.

Then you're just the kind of a guy that likes information before playing! Just like others would rather start blind and only then get information about the things they've found in their play-through.

I have to admit I'm the kind of wiki guy, also preferring to be informed of things before jumping in blindly and try to survive without knowing anything about the game :p

So, I think to answer your question of this thread, no. The game isn't easy without community guides and wiki. Heck, it's hard even WITH them, imagine without! xP

Before I got the game i learned basic stuff through watching people. Then after I died alot and used a little bit of the wiki. Its all up to them to choose what they want to do. You cant teach how to play DST you teach people how YOU play DST since there are so many ways to do it.

To answer your topic question about is it easy without a guide, well I don't think it being easy would be much fun really.  I play games to have fun and I get that fun by playing with friends doing something challenging. Don't Starve is really challenging at first if you haven't seen a guide about it.  We've all been there before, maybe not this game but other games.  Doing better each time you play Don't Starve is what the game is all about in my opinion.  When things go wrong in the game and then you overcoming that is a real thrill I wish I had each time I played this game.  Except when things go wrong for me, I usually die lol. 

I went into singleplayer blind, without the wiki, and trying as much as possible not to spoiler myself reading forum threads about things I hadn't fully discovered. I watched update trailers as content was added, and read update/patch notes, but that's about it. As you can imagine, I died a lot, and made a lot of mistakes that ensured my non-longevity.

My partner and I were learning the game together though, so we helped each other with non-essential spoilers (like "OMG, that walrus camp actually spawns something when you finally get to winter!" or figuring out that animal tracks led to Koalefants). It's been so long that I can't remember how we learned about sanity management, but I want to say he figured out cooked green caps before I did. I definitely used the wiki for crockpot recipes though, no way I could figure those out on my own. I think the only food-related thing we learned on our own was how useless Fistful of Jam is, haha.

DST is easy for us since we've been playing so long, but yeah, DS was quite challenging when we first picked it up. Like @squido, I'm not using the Wiki or guides for SW and that's made it difficult (in a good way though). Sadly, that also means I'm actively avoiding my favorite streamers in the meantime :(

I was wondering. Do you remember when you first started the game? My friend introduced me and showed me the basics. (make fire, dark is bad, cook mean before you it, craft tools for resources and make science building to make new stuff)

Then i spent many hours in wiki and trials. Now, i try teach 2 new friends of mine, they see it hard (you know, cause i speak to them and tell me do something i feel is clear enough...but it isnt)

Is it possible to learn so many basic details alone? Food values, recipes, using traps, crock pot, bee boxes, sanity management. Or for example, to get beard hair, you need beardlings (if not wilson), how the goodness would you imagine that if you lose sanity rabbits go to beardling mode.

What i say is, i love this game. DS and DST record more than 300h, still love it. But i wouldnt have done even a decent 20 day run without google. What about you?

I had that experience with Shipwrecked when it first came out, as the official Wiki hadn't been released at the time. I wouldn't say it changed much, if anything, it was sort of annoying not having proper info to refer to, but then again it did make things more interesting and challenging. Made it to more than 50 days without the wiki on my second run, then again, I 've played the normal singleplayer before so it wasn't really new new.

When I first started with the original Don'T Starve, I never used the Wiki. The first time I got to Winter I must have camped, without knowing of the danger, next to a Mactusk Camp. He spawned in Winter and attacked me, I had no chance with him, so I just ran. I had no idea where he came from, but I got the impression that he and his hunting party had tracked me down from afar. So I was chased out of my base and I went through the Winter wasteland constantly moving, in fear he was still in pursuit and was following my tracks. I remember gathering whatever resources I could on the way, having to rest in the night, terrified that he would catch up to me. I died eventually, when the second hound wave came for me, but it was a one of my best experiences I've ever had in the game and it wouldn't have been as good if I had had the Wiki on me. 

I do think it's more fun learning through mistakes and suffering. I'm not sure how that translates in a multiplayer game, though, as those mistakes are not only causing you suffering, but also causing suffering to all the other players as well as reducing the amount of quality play time that is so hard to book unless you're still in school, which ends up creating social pressure and fear of getting things wrong that could escalate into mass sepoku japanese underachiever style.

I remember back when I started playing DS, the most fun I had was learning things through experimentation like "punch spiders bad" or "meat effigy good". Then of course I discovered the wiki and compulsively checked all the things which kinda made the rest of the game kinda bland and easy. But man, that one time a huge ciclops thing wrecked my **** by  the end of winter was probably the highest point any game had reached for me at the time(because Undertale and Dark Souls are a things I have now), and certainly wouldn't be the same if I had known there was such thing as a "Deer Clops"(or how bloody big the thing is).

In short, I don't think the learning by your mistakes mode works that well in multiplayer, due to the multiplayer aspect of multiplayer, but wikis still detract much of the fun of the discovery(and the following death) that happens when you go blind. Specially because, once you know everything, DS's difficulty doesn't really hold up that much.

I went into singleplayer blind, without the wiki, and trying as much as possible not to spoiler myself reading forum threads about things I hadn't fully discovered. I watched update trailers as content was added, and read update/patch notes, but that's about it. As you can imagine, I died a lot, and made a lot of mistakes that ensured my non-longevity.

My partner and I were learning the game together though, so we helped each other with non-essential spoilers (like "OMG, that walrus camp actually spawns something when you finally get to winter!" or figuring out that animal tracks led to Koalefants). It's been so long that I can't remember how we learned about sanity management, but I want to say he figured out cooked green caps before I did. I definitely used the wiki for crockpot recipes though, no way I could figure those out on my own. I think the only food-related thing we learned on our own was how useless Fistful of Jam is, haha.

DST is easy for us since we've been playing so long, but yeah, DS was quite challenging when we first picked it up. Like @squido, I'm not using the Wiki or guides for SW and that's made it difficult (in a good way though). Sadly, that also means I'm actively avoiding my favorite streamers in the meantime :(

Yeah i used to watch flare2v,but since i dont want spoilers i try to avoid his streams until i haved passed all the new 4 seasons

I didn't read the wiki until I'd played for a while, and I enjoyed learning stuff in play by experimentation and in-game observation -- looking at everything in the crafting menus, for instance, and making them if I had the parts just to see what they did -- more than I would have if I'd read everything in advance. (I noticed the beardlings on my own because I saw them when my sanity got low, for example, since trapping rabbits was one of the first food sources I thought of. I also noticed that they were a lot less edible than rabbits, but at least the fact that I kept getting beard hair or nightmare fuel that I couldn't use instead of meat familiarised me with their drops.) Getting blindsided by stuff I didn't know about and having to rework my strategy to fit that in is part of the fun of a survival-exploration game with permadeath, in my opinion; the game's built around a trial-and-error approach. I didn't embark on top of a MacTusk camp like KingofSquirrels did, but I did find one as a mud circle in summer and blithely disregarded it up until I came back to the spot in winter and got shot to death by surprise walruses.

When I did read the wiki it was because I wanted to buff up my strategy and learn things like exactly which ingredients made which crockpot dishes instead of living mostly on meatballs; I'm not the kind of player who insists on figuring everything out without help. I wouldn't have learned that pacifying treeguards was possible if I hadn't looked them up on the wiki, although I seem to recall what I was actually looking for at the time was the exact amount of health that they had.

I'd say playing the solo game first is the better choice, unless your plan is specifically to have your more experienced friends help you find your footing. (That's how it went with several of my friends. We customized the server settings so having newbies who weren't good at finding food or fending off hounds wouldn't doom the whole group, though.) But if that's the case then you most likely don't have a problem with gameplay spoilers.

Archived