All trees give 4 wood (3 from the tree itself and one from the dug up stump) and 2 pinecones. So, plant them cones and you won't have no worries about running out of wood.

All fully grown trees, that is...

Maybe save 10-20 in the event of a tree guard.

Maybe save 10-20 in the event of a tree guard.

I really should do that...

What are the chances of those spawning, anyway? I've chopped down so many trees throughout so many games and only ever had one treeguard spawn. Maybe planting so many pinecones reduces chances of a treeguard spawning? (doubt it)

I really should do that...

What are the chances of those spawning, anyway? I've chopped down so many trees throughout so many games and only ever had one treeguard spawn. Maybe planting so many pinecones reduces chances of a treeguard spawning? (doubt it)

I think they spawn on random but it only happens when you're chopping down trees. The pine cones don't reduce the chances but when the tree guard spawns if you plant the pine cones it will become neutral towards you and if done right can be a huge benefit.

My impression is that every tier 3 tree has a low probability of spawning a treeguard each time a tree is cut down within its detection radius (whatever that is.) This has been borne out by my attempts to force spawn treeguards by planting tight groupings of pinecones and harvesting when all (or as close as possible) are at tier 3. Sometimes you get 2 treeguards this way. Otherwise, I like just killing them and not bothering to pacify them... But if I have two at a time, it is a lot of extra work to kill them (and I'm likely to take substantial damage) so I usually pacify and then take out one at a time.

If you are trying to grow more trees, you only want harvest the largest, tier 3 Evergreen.

Just to clarify this there are 5 kinds of Evergreen Trees:

These four produce 1 Stump when cut, which can be dug with a Shovel to make 1 Wood.

Small Evergreen: 5 axe hits, 1 Wood

Medium Evergreen:10 axe hits, 2 Wood, 1 Pinecone

Large Evergreen: 15 axe hits, 3 Wood, 1 Pinecone

Shriveled: 1 axe hit, 1 pinecone.

Charred: 1 axe hit, 1-3 Charcoal (size-based), and 1-2 Pinecone (size-based).

Treeguards can spawn from any Medium Evergreen or Large Evergreen when you begin chopping that tree or one nearby. Treeguards also have a higher rate of spawning if they are in a Forest biome (brown soil).

I think they spawn on random but it only happens when you're chopping down trees. The pine cones don't reduce the chances but when the tree guard spawns if you plant the pine cones it will become neutral towards you and if done right can be a huge benefit.

it is random but with a higher chance the longer you survive

its not just the tear 3 trees (i think...)

There are 3 sizes of treeguard that will spawn depending on the tier of the tree. the smallest ones are easiest.

Also, if you use pigmen to chop down trees any treeguards that spawn will be aggro to the pigs and not you, so you can get a bunch of meat and pigbutts along with a load of lumber :D