Sandbags are useless. They don't work.

Sand bags are a preemptive thing. You place them down beforehand to stop flooding from spreading. They are bags of sand, not sponges. That being said, a sponge item would be GREAT for when a puddle spawns in your base.

But unless you actually see water going passed sandbags, I'd say they are working.

Sponges would be great.

Love sponges.

Placing a sandbag in the middle of a puddle as soon as it forms prevents it from growing. Why would a sandbag absorb water? That makes zero sense to me. They work fine now, you just have to be paying attention the first few days of spring around your base.

well sandbags absorb water in real life too! ... surprise :D

but I think they don't quite work as intended right now, as the eradication of puddles with placing sandbags on top of them feels like a very unnatural use of them I agree :)

well sandbags absorb water in real life too! ... surprise :grin:

but I think they don't quite work as intended right now, as the eradication of puddles with placing sandbags on top of them feels like a very unnatural use of them I agree :-)

try picking up some wet sand and squeezing the water out of it.

GL

wet sand doesnt hold very much water at all..  

doesn't even compare to a sponge

Sand bags are a preemptive thing. You place them down beforehand to stop flooding from spreading..

This. No change needed.

On the other hand the mechanics about placing it in the middle of the puddle is a bit counterintuitive. If I hadn't read it on the forum I don't see myself figuring it out on my own.

Sand bags are a preemptive thing. You place them down beforehand to stop flooding from spreading. They are bags of sand, not sponges. That being said, a sponge item would be GREAT for when a puddle spawns in your base.

But unless you actually see water going passed sandbags, I'd say they are working.

Sponges would be great.

Love sponges.

Water leaked through 2 layers of sandbags, so they are buggy.

Even if you surround the puddle with them, it leaks through.

The two layers of sandbags are around my base and I am hitting my 2nd Monsoon Season, placed down three layers now, though I don't have much hope... as said, it leaked through and it is quite annoying =/.

Sandbags are useless.

post-221337-0-52659600-1450083024_thumb.

In reality though, the whole flood mechanic needs some work. Puddles are understandable, but the way they spawn randomly anywhere is a little absurd. Give us a way to protect our stuff; whether it's by keeping a maximum number of blocks between puddles spawns (so you can't randomly have puddles screwing over each of our individually walled-off iceboxes/crockpots). A way for things to get around sandbags (including us) would be nice, too. No point in walling of a base if it'll be flooded through the entrance. Maybe a turf that prevents puddles from spawning on it? A bucket to bail it out? Something would be nice.

Sponges would be great.

Love sponges.

Yes, that's how sandbags are used in real life. In shipwrecked however, they function more like sponges. You place them down where puddles form, and they suck up all the water... or something. 

Placing a sandbag in the middle of a puddle as soon as it forms prevents it from growing. Why would a sandbag absorb water? That makes zero sense to me. They work fine now, you just have to be paying attention the first few days of spring around your base.

They are not fine at all. if you build a 3 layer wall of sanbags the water will go right through them,

that is buggy.

Also place a sandbag on a puddle to prevent the puddle from spreading doesn´t only make much sense,

but that strategy is absolutly useless, if the puddle can also spawn under your alchemy engine, shadow manipulator, crockpot, etc. you have to break everything with a hammer, put the sandbags on the puddles and build it again, because many important structures are useless when they stand in the water.

So you have to destroy your own base to waste less material or build atleast a second base,

but waste more material...that is not fun at all.

Also if you get attacked by hounds while the puddles spawn (that happend in 3 of my 6 games) you have not enough time to place the bags on the puddles before they get bigger.

The sandbags and the puddles are at the moment not fine at all.

def need some rework here

- sandbags serve to stop flooding of water from the seas

- drainage channels to remove the puddles of water (only work when the area is fortified by sandbags)

- water tanks to store the water collected from the drainage

- purifying box to produce fresh water for drinking and brine (sea salt) for new crock pot recipes

- fresh water for a new "thirst" meter; Consuming ice/fruits/vegetables also fills the meter

def need some rework here

- sandbags serve to stop flooding of water from the seas

- drainage channels to remove the puddles of water (only work when the area is fortified by sandbags)

- water tanks to store the water collected from the drainage

- purifying box to produce fresh water from drinking and brine (sea salt) for new crock pot recipes

- fresh water for a new "thirst" meter; Consuming ice/fruits/vegetables also fills the meter

or just a sponge/bucket/bottle to "suck" up the water.

They are not fine at all. if you build a 3 layer wall of sanbags the water will go right through them,

that is buggy.

Also place a sandbag on a puddle to prevent the puddle from spreading doesn´t only make much sense,

but that strategy is absolutly useless, if the puddle can also spawn under your alchemy engine, shadow manipulator, crockpot, etc. you have to break everything with a hammer, put the sandbags on the puddles and build it again, because many important structures are useless when they stand in the water.

So you have to destroy your own base to waste less material or build atleast a second base,

but waste more material...that is not fun at all.

Also if you get attacked by hounds while the puddles spawn (that happend in 3 of my 6 games) you have not enough time to place the bags on the puddles before they get bigger.

The sandbags and the puddles are at the moment not fine at all.

It isn't absolutely useless, it keeps what would otherwise be conjoined puddles the size of an entire island to a few small specks. I haven't experienced water going through several layers of them myself - that definitely needs fixing, but I personally like the way puddles work at the moment. Rain wouldn't avoid a spot just because some stuff is there.. Having to move stuff provides a much needed difficulty aspect to the game.

Sandbags are the most overpowered thing you can build in SW, they are indestructible structure by hail,mobs and every type of monster u come across. They always prevent water from the ocean to go pass where the bag is located at, keep in mind too they make great walls( Better than stone,wood,hay) walls.

But as to the flooding i guess Klei can add a certain turf which prevents from flooding as it makes sense it would flood cause there is no roof?

It isn't absolutely useless, it keeps what would otherwise be conjoined puddles the size of an entire island to a few small specks. I haven't experienced water going through several layers of them myself - that definitely needs fixing, but I personally like the way puddles work at the moment. Rain wouldn't avoid a spot just because some stuff is there.. Having to move stuff provides a much needed difficulty aspect to the game.

It is stupid that your base can get just randomly useless for a season because of water spawning under your structures.

Hey you need your shadow manipulator? haaa forget it it, wait until volcano season starts or build a new one, because we just spawned puddles under it, hey you need your alchemy engine?? haaa....etc.

That is just retarded, there was nothing like that crap in Vanilla, Caves, Rog or DST.

There was everytime a way that you can protect your base if you was just good enough,

but that random apearing puddle insanity has nothing to do with preparation or experience.

I had on 1 screen (not zoomed in or out) EIGHT PUDDLES!

My entire base was completly useless, the damn things spawned under 4 of my structures and, because that wasn´t enough, the puddles spawned at the same time as a hound wave.

So I had to kill the hounds as fast as possible, to put sandbags (what doesn´t make any sense) on the 8 puddles in my base...and of corse atleast 3 of the puddles already got bigger and because they spawned in such a tight space, they overlaped, so I couldn´t see where the puddle center was and because I hadn´t 40 sandbags I couldn´t stop that crap in time.

That beeing said, even if I had enough sandbags,

I had to break some of my most important structures to put sandbags on the spawner.

Two worlds later I had a monsoon season where only 1 puddle spawned near my base...thats just stupid luck, will the monsoon season be hell? or will it be boring as shi...?

It just doesn´t matter how you prepare for that season, unless you waste time like crazy to build your freaking base 2 times, because you have nothing important to do...like preparing for the volcano season...or have fun with the game or something like that.

And I say it again, in my opinion Monsoon season is not fine at all.

It is annoying as fuc... if you get unlucky or it is boring as shi... if you get lucky,

that is just buggy or if it is actually intended, just bad game design.

I like Klei, Capy and most of Shipwrecked, but I strongly dislike that random monsoon desaster

(+ water flows through 3 layers of sandbags)

and I also dislike volcano season as it is now, because you can´t protect your base

in another way than just leave it...its similiar to the monsoon season in that regard and your survival depends also in just luck....I hate that...because I tend to get unlucky as crazy with those things.

Edit:

But it seems that you can calm down the volcano gods in the future by sacrificing something...

so that is quiet nice, but for now volcano season is broken.

Sandbags are the most overpowered thing you can build in SW, they are indestructible structure by hail,mobs and every type of monster u come across. They always prevent water from the ocean to go pass where the bag is located at, keep in mind too they make great walls( Better than stone,wood,hay) walls.

But as to the flooding i guess Klei can add a certain turf which prevents from flooding as it makes sense it would flood cause there is no roof?

That is of corse also a problem that sanbags are better walls than freaking stone walls/thulecite walls,

that gets also be fixed. I am quiet sure about that, because that is just breaking the game and its mechanics.

Like making a fence out of burned trees or in the past,

no spoilage with food on your 16 crockpots and shi... like that.

Those things just break the game and its intended mechanics.

Hey you need your shadow manipulator? haaa forget it it, wait until volcano season starts or build a new one, because we just spawned puddles under it, hey you need your alchemy engine?? haaa....etc.

I actually like the idea of your prototyping structures getting shortwired. You may ask why I write this insane statement?

Because there is a funny alternative:

http://dont-starve-game.wikia.com/wiki/Brain_of_Thought

The Brain of Thought!

Now I would love to see people being dependant on using a consumable hat piece to prototype their stuff during monsoon season. That would add some funny variety to the game.

The only downside right now is that the brainy matter is too rare and you have to be very lucky to find one. But if Klei would let them spawn a little bit more frequently during monsoon season I would be perfectly fine sacrificing my sciency machines and wear this odd fashion to prototype things.

I actually like the idea of your prototyping structures getting shortwired. You may ask why I write this insane statement?

Because there is a funny alternative:

http://dont-starve-game.wikia.com/wiki/Brain_of_Thought

The Brain of Thought!

Now I would love to see people being dependant on using a consumable hat piece to prototype their stuff during monsoon season. That would add some funny variety to the game.

The only downside right now is that the brainy matter is too rare and you have to be very lucky to find one. But if Klei would let them spawn a little bit more frequently during monsoon season I would be perfectly fine sacrificing my sciency machines and wear this odd fashion to prototype things.

"I actually like the idea of your prototyping structures getting shortwired."

I like that too, but only if the flood gets those structures and not if the water spawns on the first rain right under them. ^^

They are not useless , you can stop the flood from spreading . But yea when it spawns in your camp you can't do much but just wall your own camp and make a new alchemy machine ... 

Just make the bags but don't place them until you see the puddles .

Just going to leave this here :

post-381296-0-71539800-1450220221_thumb.

Just going to leave this here :

attachicon.gif2015-12-06_00045.jpg

Hmm. Your walls are clearly working, but you also got lucky not to have any puddles spawn inside your base? Since I don't see any sandbags there...

I had no idea until reading this thread that you could just dump one sandbag in the puddle spawners! That is totally counter intuitive (and plain wrong physics) but excellent news!

Channels would also be a very realistic and useful feature to buffer the sandbags. Frankly if I were stuck in this world IRL I'd be thinking about making a tree house!

Yeap none spawned in my base pretty lucky I know . 3 were really close to it (I managed to bag 2 of them early when they were only one tile big) but after that those who were far away grew more so I needed to wall like this .

Archived