Weather in caves

So I've been playing dst caves beta and it was pretty much my first experience with caves at all so I haven't the slightiest idea what to expect. I ended up preparing for everything, I took down resources, food, weapons, healing stuff, anything I could use but then I found out there is something far more sinister in caves which I didn't think about... Weather.

Okay so I've been in caves several times in real life and what I've learned that all of them have a constant climate. Not so cold not so hot, it stays almost the same every season. Now I could accept the fact that I could freeze or roast to death by the temperature even if it seemed a bit unrealistic for me but the rain? Oh come on Klei... Am I the only one who thinks it's ridicoulos that I have to bring an umbrealla underground? When I checked my rainometer it said it won't rain so I didn't even think about preparing to get wet in caves then I died because wetness drained all my sanity after it rained for 2 days. It's not just annoying but unrealistic, if from anything you can be wet in a cave then it could only come from below in the form of rivers, lakes or smaller pools of water stucked down there. Water is flowing throw the ground very slowly unless it has many holes in it which I doubt would be the case is dont starve cause most of the caves are in complete darkness.

Please fix this so that the only place where rain drops in caves are the ones with natural light source from the surface. Also if you want to annoy players with wetness while spelucking then make little water pools which you can't cross without getting wet and cold. Gosh, have you ever been in such thing? The water in caves can be 10 °C cold and one meter deep for hundreds of meters. I couldn't feel my legs after wading through it.

(Mercy on my English, Im Hungarian.)

In general, this game isn't about realism. But in real life caves actually do get very cold and can have its own tiny clouds and rain inside of the caves. Also the rainometer wouldn't accurately say how the caves are doing rain wise because it's hosted on a different server and has separate weather. You would need to make a rainometer in the caves to accurately tell upcoming rain. Just make either an umbrella or a rain coat or something to deal with the wetness.

So I've been playing dst caves beta and it was pretty much my first experience with caves at all so I haven't the slightiest idea what to expect. I ended up preparing for everything, I took down resources, food, weapons, healing stuff, anything I could use but then I found out there is something far more sinister in caves which I didn't think about... Weather.

Okay so I've been in caves several times in real life and what I've learned that all of them have a constant climate. Not so cold not so hot, it stays almost the same every season. Now I could accept the fact that I could freeze or roast to death by the temperature even if it seemed a bit unrealistic for me but the rain? Oh come on Klei... Am I the only one who thinks it's ridicoulos that I have to bring an umbrealla underground? When I checked my rainometer it said it won't rain so I didn't even think about preparing to get wet in caves then I died because wetness drained all my sanity after it rained for 2 days. It's not just annoying but unrealistic, if from anything you can be wet in a cave then it could only come from below in the form of rivers, lakes or smaller pools of water stucked down there. Water is flowing throw the ground very slowly unless it has many holes in it which I doubt would be the case is dont starve cause most of the caves are in complete darkness.

Please fix this so that the only place where rain drops in caves are the ones with natural light source from the surface. Also if you want to annoy players with wetness while spelucking then make little water pools which you can't cross without getting wet and cold. Gosh, have you ever been in such thing? The water in caves can be 10 °C cold and one meter deep for hundreds of meters. I couldn't feel my legs after wading through it.

Yeah, I agree. it´s ******* retarded and it should be fixed immediately. Caves are literally unplayable at the moment. 

In general, this game isn't about realism. But in real life caves actually do get very cold and can have its own tiny clouds and rain inside of the caves. Also the rainometer wouldn't accurately say how the caves are doing rain wise because it's hosted on a different server and has separate weather. You would need to make a rainometer in the caves to accurately tell upcoming rain. Just make either an umbrella or a rain coat or something to deal with the wetness.

I understand that it isn't about realism but there is a line between horror - fantasy things like the dont starve world and unrealistic things like raining in caves. Also I don't want to build anything i the caves cause my cave world just randomly reseted itself and luckly nothing lost as I only explored it without actually building stuffs.

Think about the rain this way - after it rains outside , below the world are caves (so the earth is kinda hollow) and all the water goes in caves . 

As for gameplay the best is to make a rain coat that should fix all your problems with wetness . 

It's not really that hard I managed to build a permanent base and survive over 1 year only in caves . Normally I use them just to skip summer or to build stuff in ruins .

I dont really understand why do people seek logic in especially this game? If it was GTA 5 i can understand but seriously? Having wormholes does not hurt you cuz it teleports you to anywhere so it is easier but this hurts you cuz you dont wanna have umbrella or rain hat? Cave rain is already nerfed as it was constantly raining in spring in normal DS and it is still like that for DS.

Seeking logic for a tim burton game is kinda weird.

Why dont you guys try to learn playing the game instead of complaining about every obstacle you see? Do you think that game is gonna be enjoyable when nothing hurts you? Then you will complain about how boring the game is :p..

There are actually a few caves large enough to form their own clouds and rainfall, so it's not as unrealistic as you think.  But these caves aren't even doing that.  They're just dripping from the porous limestone ceiling.  There's even custom visual and sound effects to indicate that.

It's just too much for me that I need an umbrella and a rainhat for 100% water protection (at least in dst) and also I need something to make light with like a lamp or mining hat but then again it would be great if I could wear my tam o'shanter too cause the sanity drain of caves. I think it would be logical if in caves the weather wouldn't be a problem at the price of eternal darkness and less resources so overall harder gameplay.

I'm fine with the world's obstacles like the monsters but the weather is the most challenging part of the game for me and also sometimes the most unfun. I've never tried vanilla dont starve without rog and the whole season system amazed me how cool it was... then the summer killed me xd

miner hat and umbrella does 100% protection. instead of miner hat its same for top hat or any helm or... Cooked green caps are abundant in the caves so if you lose sanity cook it and eat...

if you want to equip lantern eyebrella and lantern is good.. If you dont have an eyebrella but wanna equip lantern and also want 100% protection without stopping and making camp fires inside cave, have rain coat (in this option you can have tam o shanter). Well cave rains are not more than a day in DST unlike DS in which you get nonstop rain in whoooole damn season (No jerkies ever dry till summer in caves in DS unlike DST). So it won't hurt equipping miner hat and umbrella for a day then you can switch to ur tam o shanter when rain is over.

http://dont-starve-game.wikia.com/wiki/Wetness

so with couple of accessory, you can have 100% protection.

For sanity prepare jerky or get cooked cacti... Make base in the ruins (Because if you dont have base and if you stay too much down there you will eventually be insane well still there is ways to stay sane and have food without any exterior help if you are pro enough..). Make base, Put drying rack. Learn how to kill bunnies without fighting. Get spider den to ur base in caves and eventually make a tent. What if you cant have tam o shanter? You don't go to caves?

Even summer is nerfed in DST in caves as you dont overheat. Even in caves in DS in ruins, your grass withers in summer... Only advantage is they dont smolder..

Summer is currently toooo easy in DST in caves. Same for spring in caves.. If they nerfed this game more than this it would be damn boring.

Overall, Dont starve and dont starve together has a lot of illogical things such as wormholes, deerclops Goose/Moose. I have never seen such creatures. So should they remove them as well? I also have never seen any gobbler coming out of berry bushes when you pick berries.I did not see people with big head and very small legs too and I have never seen a canadian turns into a werebeaver in full moon.

LOL caves are lot easier in DST than overworld or DS caves/ruins

ALSO try to google a bit about real life caves before talking about "game vs real life" which is BS anyway but there are caves where is super hot/ you can freeze/ dripping water from ceiling/ etc.

If caves/ruins in DST need something is more challenge ... there is not even overheating in caves? WHY? Nobody is building flingos for summer season in overworld because you can hide in caves :/

Okay so I've been in caves several times in real life and what I've learned that all of them have a constant climate.
but have you ever been in a Maxwell designed cave?

I do agree that the weather in caves feels a bit off, but for me, it's mostly because it doesn't really add a lot of challenge, just a small nuisance, and it could've been replaced by some more challenging cave specific features. It is also intended to remove the whole "skip a season in the caves" idea, which I would be fine with, if it weren't for summer. It's not really bad, just not very good.

Yeah, I agree. it´s ******* retarded and it should be fixed immediately. Caves are literally unplayable at the moment. 
Yeah, it´s totally broken. 
totes, bro. We should, like, completely remove caves and put just a big weather world. 

So how do you deal with spring if rain is this much of an obstacle for you, TheKingofSquirrels?

I'm annoyed that snow in the overworld during winter turns into rain in the caves, myself, because on the surface snow doesn't do much other than mildly accelerate freezing but in the caves you have to deal with both the sanity loss from being wet and the cold. At one point it sapped my sanity quickly enough that I decided to take my chances on the surface. (Then I got killed by a Terrorbeak anyway.)

So how do you deal with spring if rain is this much of an obstacle for you, TheKingofSquirrels?

I'm annoyed that snow in the overworld during winter turns into rain in the caves, myself, because on the surface snow doesn't do much other than mildly accelerate freezing but in the caves you have to deal with both the sanity loss from being wet and the cold. At one point it sapped my sanity quickly enough that I decided to take my chances on the surface. (Then I got killed by a Terrorbeak anyway.)

Beefalo hat (or TAM) + Rain coat = both easy to make since day 1

OR

Eyebrella + Puffy vest

Yep, it´s broken, please fix it. It makes caves just an annoying experience. 

Stop spamming this thread dude ... nothing is broken just learn to play ... noone has any problems with caves only you (not counting beginners)

Last two days i played on one server (gingerbread cookies) from day 1 and around end of spring (50days) i had full thelucite gear and killed Guradian 1v1

Caves/Ruins need more challenge because now they are ridiculously easy and after killing guardian and hammering/mining those few walls/statues for thelucite there is not much to do there :/

Stop spamming this thread dude ... nothing is broken just learn to play ... noone has any problems with caves only you (not counting beginners)

Last two days i played on one server (gingerbread cookies) from day 1 and around end of spring (50days) i had full thelucite gear and killed Guradian 1v1

Caves/Ruins need more challenge because now they are ridiculously easy and after killing guardian and hammering/mining those few walls/statues for thelucite there is not much to do there :/

If there's nothing left to do, you can always fight the dragonfly for green gems to dupe more thulecite. Also, that is some impressively fast progression, haha. Did you have your own base camp or were you with a bunch of other people? (also, I suppose I can infer from what you've said here that cave content is in fact fully implemented, including the guardian and ancient pseudoscience station, neither of which a lowly mortal like myself has found yet since I only started playing caves recently)

Back to the main topic of this thread, the 'unrealistic' argument has absolutely no place in a world where it gets to 99 degrees Celsius outside during summer. Cave rain just prevents an easy way out for spring; if you don't feel like dealing with it you can always wait until summer, which is basically the ideal time to go underground, although you are then missing the main perk of summer, the super-long days.

The problem with caves is that you canno´t live in them independently without already having prepared in the surface. There are no materials for clothes for winter or protective materials for summer inside there. It´s a shame because caves used to be balanced before. Your sanity would drain constantly, THAT was the challenge. Now they took that out and added day cycles...Underground? It was interesting and DIFFERENT from the rest of the world, and now..ugh.

And as far as the argument of "people go to caves to skip seasons", yeah, so what? Winter and Summer are ******* boring after you´ve gone through your third year. The caves as an idea for escape sounds (and was) perfect for me.

So yeah, it´s broken, Klei fix please =)

If there's nothing left to do, you can always fight the dragonfly for green gems to dupe more thulecite. Also, that is some impressively fast progression, haha. Did you have your own base camp or were you with a bunch of other people? (also, I suppose I can infer from what you've said here that cave content is in fact fully implemented, including the guardian and ancient pseudoscience station, neither of which a lowly mortal like myself has found yet since I only started playing caves recently)

YES caves/ruins are fully implemented and they are both in one "world" so when you enter caves you can wander around to ruins ... there is no other entrance like in DS

Well there were some people building cave base and i helped them a little but lately im enjoying to be homeless most of the time. For DF fight you need at least one more experienced player which is hard to come by when everyone else is building bases. I am homeless because these servers are reseting worlds a lot so i rather explore/kill stuff than build small bases ... but of course i helping them with that too .)

The problem with caves is that you canno´t live in them independently without already having prepared in the surface. There are no materials for clothes for winter or protective materials for summer inside there. It´s a shame because caves used to be balanced before. Your sanity would drain constantly, THAT was the challenge. Now they took that out and added day cycles...Underground? It was interesting and DIFFERENT from the rest of the world, and now..ugh.

And as far as the argument of "people go to caves to skip seasons", yeah, so what? Winter and Summer are ******* boring after you´ve gone through your third year. The caves as an idea for escape sounds (and was) perfect for me.

So yeah, it´s broken, Klei fix please =)

WHAT?

you "cannot live independently" in DS caves either nothings changed

you can craft raincoat, top hat, moogles, thelucite armour (for sanity) and both fire places in caves so if you want you can live there without overworld - it is harder but no problem

constant sanity drain is still there

day/night cycles are only near entrance and in some rare places ... also this system works for bulbs so you can have base around bulbs and half of the time you don't need light because of bulbs - a lot easier than before!

actually almost nothing changed with caves/ruins from DS so i really don't know what are you talking about ... OH maybe we don't have now overheating in caves - a lot easier than before!

winter and summer are boring after third year? So autumn and spring are fun? :D

Dude looks like you want this game easier than it is so PLZ go to world setting and turn off that difficult stuff for you and play it that way (i bet caves/ruins will be in world setting soon too) ... let this game become fun and more challenging for all of us that like it that way. For others there is that world setting .)

Your sanity would drain constantly, THAT was the challenge.
but was it, though? For Wendy, all I needed was a top hat or dapper clothing. If I wanted to go headsfree for my miner hat, then all I needed was some crockpot food. The other characters needed some more babysitting, but nothing too hard. The only problem I ever had was worms, and that's just because they dealt way more damage than they should. Although it felt wrong, at least the season thing actually made things feel harder. Also, yeah, this is here since RoG. It's not new.

YES caves/ruins are fully implemented and they are both in one "world" so when you enter caves you can wander around to ruins ... there is no other entrance like in DS

Well there were some people building cave base and i helped them a little but lately im enjoying to be homeless most of the time. For DF fight you need at least one more experienced player which is hard to come by when everyone else is building bases. I am homeless because these servers are reseting worlds a lot so i rather explore/kill stuff than build small bases ... but of course i helping them with that too .)

WHAT?

you "cannot live independently" in DS caves either nothings changed

you can craft raincoat, top hat, moogles, thelucite armour (for sanity) and both fire places in caves so if you want you can live there without overworld - it is harder but no problem

constant sanity drain is still there

day/night cycles are only near entrance and in some rare places ... also this system works for bulbs so you can have base around bulbs and half of the time you don't need light because of bulbs - a lot easier than before!

actually almost nothing changed with caves/ruins from DS so i really don't know what are you talking about ... OH maybe we don't have now overheating in caves - a lot easier than before!

winter and summer are boring after third year? So autumn and spring are fun? :grin:

Dude looks like you want this game easier than it is so PLZ go to world setting and turn off that difficult stuff for you and play it that way (i bet caves/ruins will be in world setting soon too) ... let this game become fun and more challenging for all of us that like it that way. For others there is that world setting .)

When it was first introduced, weather wasn´t a part of it. And, yes, like I said, you should be able to survive in the caves without having to go to the surface. That´s the whole point of having another world. 

You can´t get Winter clothes though...

It wasn´t (last time I checked). It was really broken. You could hear like the morning and night music cues, which sometimes overlapped with the caves soundtrack. Sanity would stop draining at day, even if you were in darkness. It was a mess...

Oh, have they taken overheating out? Well that´s an improvement.

I don´t want the game easier. I just want A) Something that makes sense. Caves provide insulation, that´s why people lived in caves during cold winters... B) Something less buggy and broken.

I agree, if they add settings for it, I will be more than happy and I will NEVER bring it up again. 

And, yes, like I said, you should be able to survive in the caves without having to go to the surface. That´s the whole point of having another world. 
is it? I like the idea of having to prepare to go to an entirely new and even more hostile(even though it's not THAT hostile) world. It's not like you could spawn in the caves. Colonising a brand new environment requires preparation. Also, fire counts as winter gear.

B) Something less buggy and broken.
it's a beta inside a beta. What would you expect? 

Back to the main topic of this thread, the 'unrealistic' argument has absolutely no place in a world where it gets to 99 degrees Celsius outside during summer. Cave rain just prevents an easy way out for spring; if you don't feel like dealing with it you can always wait until summer, which is basically the ideal time to go underground, although you are then missing the main perk of summer, the super-long days.

That seems more like evidence that the temperature scale isn't Celsius. I think it's just a made-up scale, because if it was Celsius then ponds would boil in the summer, and if it was Fahrenheit then you'd get snow and frozen ponds at around 30 degrees. I agree with your actual point (this is a game where you use actual dog teeth to make a sweatervest with a houndstooth pattern; it is clearly not intended to be a realistic wilderness survival simulator) but I don't think that was a good example.

Beefalo hat (or TAM) + Rain coat = both easy to make since day 1

OR

Eyebrella + Puffy vest

The problem with that is that I joined the server on the first day of winter, and it was deserted except for a giant pile of skeletons. I went to the cave because I thought it would be easier to get materials for a science machine in there and maybe less cold. I didn't even see the Deerclops or MacTusk before going down into the cave, but have you ever tried to fight a Deerclops with only an axe and a campfire?

I was able to make rain equipment (a rain hat and umbrella) eventually, but I didn't have a good way to regain the sanity I'd lost to the combination of soaked equipment and darkness, or prevent it from dropping further. And I still couldn't go far from my firepit because of the cold. That's why I went back to the surface, because at least up there I could pick flowers with a thermal stone in my pocket and I wouldn't get any wetter.

is it? I like the idea of having to prepare to go to an entirely new and even more hostile(even though it's not THAT hostile) world. It's not like you could spawn in the caves. Colonising a brand new environment requires preparation. Also, fire counts as winter gear.

it's a beta inside a beta. What would you expect? 

"It's not like you could spawn in the caves." You do though...Non-dedicated servers spawn you in caves without access to the surface world.

I guess, I like the idea of being able to explore freely. The fact that it´s dark and sanity drains constantly is perfect challenge, but rain and freezing over does it.

I expect it to be like it used to, when it made sense.  

Archived