Questions and answers thread

- Is the trawl net the only way to farm lobsters?

- How do you catch seagulls?

- How do you use the seatrap?

- Is there a new crockpot recipes thread somewhere?

Hey there i think i can actually help for once heh

-Seagulls can be caught in the second season (hurricane season i believe? when hail falls and wind picks up) by using bird traps baited with hail

-The seatrap is used to catch wobsters, you just place it near the wobster spawn thing and they'll get caught if they walk to close to it like any other trap

- I don't know if there is an actual crockpot thread but i do know using 1 monster meat and 3 limpets will get you surf n' turf which fills about 50 hunger and 50 health from what i noticed and it is one of the best and easiest recipes i found.

A quick look in the data files indicates that it doesn't currently do anything. However, it's got configurations for both a fuel source and a poison healer, but it has a fuel value of zero and the healing property is set to false. It's probably an unfinished item.

AHA!

I hope that it turns out to be a poison healer, because that's what I originally thought! Thank you for that. If you don't mind, where are you finding the data for this stuff? It seems interesting :o

If you don't mind, where are you finding the data for this stuff? It seems interesting :o

By design, the vast majority of Don't Starve's content comes from a collection of Lua scripts. You can access these from the /data subdirectory within the application's main directory (an offshoot of steamapps for most players).

Of course, most of my answers here came from playing the game. (-:

Hey there i think i can actually help for once heh

-Seagulls can be caught in the second season (hurricane season i believe? when hail falls and wind picks up) by using bird traps baited with hail

-The seatrap is used to catch wobsters, you just place it near the wobster spawn thing and they'll get caught if they walk to close to it like any other trap

- I don't know if there is an actual crockpot thread but i do know using 1 monster meat and 3 limpets will get you surf n' turf which fills about 50 hunger and 50 health from what i noticed and it is one of the best and easiest recipes i found.

ooh thanks for the recipe. I keep making ratatouille with 4 seaweed or occasionally seafood gumbo which seems to be 3x fish + filler - neither are very filling

ooh thanks for the recipe. I keep making ratatouille with 4 seaweed or occasionally seafood gumbo which seems to be 3x fish + filler - neither are very filling

the gumbo does pretty good health restoration too but i've only made it a couple times, i think meatballs are still the best hunger solution

So was there a recent update that made fish/crabs not count as typical 'meat'?

The very first day, I was somehow making Honey hams with some honey I farmed, along with a piece of monster meat and I think two crab meats?

I think it was patched out because now i'm only getting honey nuggets. I feel like i'm going insane because I completely forget what I used to make the Honey hams in the first place besides 1 monster meat and a piece of honey.

First let me say great thread so far and great work on people working together to figure this all out.

Secondly my questions:

Do coconuts work like birch nuts and drop more based on the season and if so what are the seasons, what seasons can you spawn in during, and how do you tell what the seasons are?

Sorry if this was asked else where, but even if it is I feel it'd be something nice to have in this forum so we can get all our data in one place.

Keep up the good work.

Do coconuts work like birch nuts and drop more based on the season and if so what are the seasons, what seasons can you spawn in during, and how do you tell what the seasons are?

I'm not sure whether coconuts work like birch nuts, but I noticed that they only drop from the full-grown palm trees, seemingly randomly in a number of one or two. That leaves a risk of deforestation if you're using them as a food source.

I haven't lived long enough to tell the seasons, but from what I've picked up it seems that apart from the "temperate" season you spawn in, there is also a stormy season and a hot season. Maybe someone can elaborate. :-)

- Is there a new crockpot recipes thread somewhere?

Found them! http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/59759-list-of-cooking-recipes/

I'm a cheater, I looked up into lua files.

For those who want to know all Shipwrecked food recipes:

California Roll (Meat)
Requires: 2 Seaweed + 1 Fish
Stats: 20 Health, 25 Hunger, 10 Sanity

Seafood Gumbo (Meat)
Requires: 3 Fish
Stats: 40 Health, 37.5 Hunger. 20 sanity

Bisque (Meat)
Requires: 3 Limpets + Ice
Stats: 60 Health, 18.75 Hunger, 5 Sanity

Ceviche (Meat)
Requires: 2 Fish + Ice
Stats: 20 Health, 25 Hunger, 5 Sanity
-Lowers temperature by 40 for X time  (?)

Jelly-O Pop (Meat)
Requires: Jellyfish + Ice + Twigs
Stats: 20 Health, 12.5 Hunger
-Lowers temperature by 40 for X time (?)

Banana Pop (Veggie)
Requires: Banana + Ice + Twigs
Can't contain: Meat
Stats: 20 Health, 12.5 Hunger, 33 Sanity
-Lowers temperature by 40 for X time  (?)

Lobster Bisque (Meat)
Requires: Lobster + Ice
Stats: 60 Health, 25 Hunger, 10 Sanity

Lobster Dinner (Meat)
Requires: Lobster + Butter
Can't contain: Meat and Ice
Stats: 60 Health, 37.5 Hunger, 50 Sanity

Shark Fin Soup (Meat)
Recipe: Shark Fin
Stats: 40 Health, 12.5 Hunger, -10 Sanity

Surf 'n' Turf (Meat)
Recipe: Meat value equal or higher than 2.5 and Fish value equal or higher than 1.5
Can't contain: Ice
Stats: 60 Health, 37.5 Hunger, 33 Sanity

Coffee (Veggie)
Recipe: 4 Roasted Coffee Beans OR 3 Roasted Coffee Beans + Butter, Goat Milk or Honey
Stats: 3 Health, 9.375 Hunger, 5 Sanity
-Adds special 'caffeine' bonus for few minutes (adds 5 movement speed)

I hope I summed up all info correctly.
Source: data\DLC0002\scripts\preparedfoods.lua

I just find out new thing about poison mechanic.
You could make poison spear from venom gland and hit enemy with it. But if enemy is poisoned their attack became venom.

Why the hell do I want to make a poison spear to get poisoned back from enemy? The damage from poison is now where enough to kill enemy because it wear-off in 1-2 minute, but if it hit back then I have to spent next 3-4 day to find venom gland?
This is stupid and non-logical :mad-new:.

Btw, I get poisoned twice in one day. One from a shark (he just fought with rayfish and got poisoned) and another one from a pig I just hit with a posion spear.

First let me say great thread so far and great work on people working together to figure this all out.

Secondly my questions:

Sorry if this was asked else where, but even if it is I feel it'd be something nice to have in this forum so we can get all our data in one place.

Keep up the good work.

About the seasons - I have almost played a full year. I spawned in moderate season (autumn?), then came hurricane season, which was followed by lots of rain and flooding (spring?) and now it's summer.

Can you do something to the novelty ride?

The slot machine has a jackpot or any possibility for a special prize?

I found the novelty ride too and was wondering the same thing. Haven't come up with anything so far.

As for the slot machine, if you roll 3 skulls you get a "special prize" of 6 poison mosquitos. Not fun :D Other times I've rolled 3 carrots though and got a bunch of tools or fish.

I got some recipe weirdness, I put a fishy morsel in with 3 berries and got fistful of jam, not meatballs, what gives? Are fishy morsels not meat?

I've heard others have similar issues with fishy morsel. It seems they don't quite act like meat.

I've heard others have similar issues with fishy morsel. It seems they don't quite act like meat.

I could be wrong on this, but I believe drying fishy morsels into jerky makes small jerky which should allow you to make meatballs out of all those poor crabs.

I just find out new thing about poison mechanic.

You could make poison spear from venom gland and hit enemy with it. But if enemy is poisoned their attack became venom.

Why the hell do I want to make a poison spear to get poisoned back from enemy? The damage from poison is now where enough to kill enemy because it wear-off in 1-2 minute, but if it hit back then I have to spent next 3-4 day to find venom gland?

This is stupid and non-logical :mad-new:.

Btw, I get poisoned twice in one day. One from a shark (he just fought with rayfish and got poisoned) and another one from a pig I just hit with a posion spear.

Oh BOO HOO.

I was sprayed 9 times by so many Stink Rays. :'(

Yeah, I did do that, but it seems weird that they're not counting as meat.

Crabs should become Crab Meat, and not Fish Morsel. That's what I've been thinking.

I got some recipe weirdness, I put a fishy morsel in with 3 berries and got fistful of jam, not meatballs, what gives? Are fishy morsels not meat?

the fish morsels only count as 0,5 fish, but the live crab counts as 0,5 meat and 1 fish, meaning you can use the live crabs and 3 berries/ice for meatballs. this also means you can use 3 live crabs and one monster meat for sur'n'turf. Mussels, limpets and live crabs all have the value of 0,5 meat and 1 fish.

The slot machine has a jackpot or any possibility for a special prize?

I think I hit a jackpot of a sorts - got obsidian, Life Amulet and plenty of gold. The slots signs were different than carrots in any case! 

Edit: Triple gold, that's the jackpot! It's fairly common and produces various rarer items. Got a full set of thelucite weapons and armour! With a lot of gold coins, the slot machine is pretty OP - provided you can handle the sanity loss.

Archived