Questions and answers thread

Hi guys!

Since Shipwrecked just got released in Early Access, and the Wiki lacks information on mechanics and new features, I thought it might be a good idea to have an unofficial thread where we can ask and answer each other's questions.

Below is a continuously updated list of all asked questions.

I recommend looking at the list below to see if your question has been answered before asking it again.

Many thanks to everyone contributing to clarifying Shipwrecked's mysteries!

Registry of questions so far: 

- How do you equip boat add-ons?

- What do the Captain and Pirate hat do?

- Where do you get your limestone?

- What do you do to avoid death by Grue at sea?

- Where do you find corals?

- How to combat mosquitoes?

- Where to find whales?

- Where to find blubber?

- Using the trawler net?

- What does the large volcano do?

- How to craft obsidian equipment? (unanswered)

- How to farm empty bottle?

- How do you catch seagulls?

- How do you use the seatrap?

- Is there a new crockpot recipes thread somewhere?

- How do you get gears for fridges?

- What does wind do?

- What does flood do to your base?

- What does snake oil do?

Do coconuts work like birch nuts and drop more based on the season?

- What are the seasons?

Is it possible to fix the novelty ride? 

- Does the slot machine have a jackpot?

- Are fish morsels treated as meat?

- What to do with rotten fish?

- How to prepare for summer?

- What to do with mussel stick?

- What is the orange soda for?

- Is there a way to predict hounds arrival?

- Will Shipwrecked be mixed with normal game or RoG?

- Where do I find coffee beans?

- Is Obsidian usable yet?

- Can you capture the talking parrot?

You're welcome to add your own!

Once you are ON the boat, two slots will appear. Click items on over into the slots! :grin:

Thanks! Does that only appear on the "boats", ie. cargo boat or armoured boat? I noticed there are no slots for the rafts. I guess I'll just build a bigger boat and see. :D

- Anyone success in catching a Tigershark, Ballphin or Dogfish?

To catch a Dogfish, I chase it to an island. They can't jump out of the water, so I cornered and murdered it.

:razz:

- How long does poison last for? I was pelted like 9 times by like, about 16 of these Stink Ray things.

To catch a Dogfish, I chase it to an island. They can't jump out of the water, so I cornered and murdered it.

:razz:

- How long does poison last for? I was pelted like 9 times by like, about 16 of these Stink Ray things.

Seems like poison lasts indefinitely, as of now. Better go on a grand snake removal!

Seems like poison lasts indefinitely, as of now. Better go on a grand snake removal!

Does anyone have any good suggestions on how to deal with the poison mosquitos? I'm in springtime and everything is flooded and the damn mosquitos keep spawning from the flood puddles and poisoning me. I literally can't make enough anti-venom to last until summer. And they are so hard to fight because they jab at you once and if you dodge that then they just fly away in random directions.

Next year I'll surround my base with sandbags :-)

Does anyone know what the hell SNAKE OIL is? I can quaff it an infinite amount of times and it has no durability... I quaff it and then my character jumps up and kicks their heels. O.o I thought that it would repel snakes, but it doesn't.

EDIT: Perhaps it will get rid of poison? :o I have to check that out.

My plan to defeat the venom problem: 

1. Play Webber. (The ultimate Shipwreck survivor!)

2. Surround my base with mighty spider dens.

3. Hunt down snakes with spider army. Don't get accidentally poisoned by my spiders (again).

So far the dens are excellent for food, silk and protection, but it seems poisonous spiders or "poisoned" spiders drop rot instead of venom sacks. Trying to kill poison spiders with regular ones to see if venom sack farming can be successful. Will try traps next. Also, have yet to determine whether venom/poisoned spiders make venom snake drops into rot. Might have to let them distract the venom snake while I strike from behind. There's got to be an easier way to get venom sacks! I refuse to give up. :grin: Those mosquitoes sound terrifying!

UPDATE:

No more venom worries!

Ever since discovering the shell armour trick, the digging up gas ponds, and killing the flying skunk fish, venom sacks are a non-significant issue! 

My plan to defeat the venom problem: 

1. Play Webber. (The ultimate Shipwreck survivor!)

2. Surround my base with mighty spider dens.

3. Hunt down snakes with spider army. Don't get accidentally poisoned by my spiders (again).

So far the dens are excellent for food, silk and protection, but it seems poisonous spiders or "poisoned" spiders drop rot instead of venom sacks. Trying to kill poison spiders with regular ones to see if venom sack farming can be successful. Will try traps next. Also, have yet to determine whether venom/poisoned spiders make venom snake drops into rot. Might have to let them distract the venom snake while I strike from behind. There's got to be an easier way to get venom sacks! I refuse to give up. :grin: Those mosquitoes sound terrifying!

Oh? There are poisonous spiders? O.o

And if you get Snake Oil, can you see if you use it it will cure the venom? I'm thinking it does, but I can't find any venomous things right now. It's very rare, and I just got it randomly from killing a horde of snakes.

Can the trawler net only be used once or is there a way to get it back once you open it?

I've been able to pull mine out with little issue. I also kind of just leave it for a while though.

Has anyone else had any issue with finding islands. I sailed around for two days looking for a new one. I eventually went too far to make it worth while to go back to one then I started going insane and then I was going to hungry and then I got to the end of the map and horrible noises happened and I was being chased by sharks and Charlie and all of a sudden the screen went black and I was transported to another island.

Very odd.

Then I died from crazy.

Hi guys!

Since Shipwrecked just got released in Early Access, and the Wiki lacks information on mechanics and new features, I thought it might be a good idea to have an unofficial thread where we can ask and answer each other's questions.

I'll start with some questions of my own!

- How do you equip boat add-ons?

- Where do you get your limestone?

You're welcome to add your own!

- Above your Hand, Head and Chest slot when you are in/on your boat is the boat's item slots.

- The Pirate Hat increases Sanity much like the Tam 'o' Shanter. I have't worked out what the Captain Hat does yet though

- I get mine with a from the coral reefs in the shallows, just off the island I've made my main home. If you mean HOW then; Pickaxe Coral from reefs at sea, refine, presto.

- Grue is Charlie, no? Boat Torch. Seems easy enough to keep finding the resources needed for torches to continue making them until I can make a lantern for my boat.

- No, but only through lack of trying so far. I di however get chased into the night by a Hound-fish and got killed after my torch ran out by Charlie.

A question of my own:

- Anyone else found the enormous volcano? What's that about? I didn't want to venture too close in case it set my boat alight, not that it was errupting when I saw it. Does it errupt? Can I make a pig sacrifice to the great Lava God?

A question of my own:

- Anyone else found the enormous volcano? What's that about? I didn't want to venture too close in case it set my boat alight, not that it was errupting when I saw it. Does it errupt? Can I make a pig sacrifice to the great Lava God?

Havent found the volcano itslef but during "summer" the volcano errupts periodicly and volcano debris will fall down around you (or on you if you are not carefull and its an instant killer).

I recommend either staying at sea or on a Magma Island where it doesnt do much damage to the enviroment (in fact it can help you get to tons of stones, flint and gold without raising a finger)

Havent found the volcano itslef but during "summer" the volcano errupts periodicly and volcano debris will fall down around you (or on you if you are not carefull and its an instant killer).

I recommend either staying at sea or on a Magma Island where it doesnt do much damage to the enviroment (in fact it can help you get to tons of stones, flint and gold without raising a finger)

Sweet! Cheers for the info.

I'm almost at the opposite side of the map to it, so I'd be a little suprised if the erruption effected me there (only a little though. I guess it was big enough to reign down over the whole map thinking about it).

Oh wow, many questions, not many answers. I've got my work cut out for me. I'll try to only answer questions that haven't been answered yet. I haven't answered every question, but at least it's a start...

Captain Hat doubles the durability of your boat. I don't know if this applies to the gradual degradation from using it or if it's only a combat thing.

Pirate Hat has the same dapperness as Tam o' Shanter, making it a sanity recovery item. It also protects you from lightning strikes.

You can equip lanterns to your boat, or you can hold onto a Torch or something if you have a sail. On the other hand, way out in the ocean you'll find some bioluminescent plankton on the surface, which give you a safe spot where you can park overnight.

I once blasted a Dogfish while attempting to fight some Clockwork, but I don't know the appropriate way to catch one.

Poison to player characters lasts until you cure it with Anti Venom. Non-players will automatically cure themselves after a minute or two.

Where do you find corals? I am playing like 5th game and never found even one?

Reefs are rather numerous in the space between islands. You can mine them with a Pickaxe.

Does anyone have any good suggestions on how to deal with the poison mosquitos?

While I just dodge and counterattack personally, I have found it to be particularly useful to keep Packim Baggims nearby as a decoy. Even at night, he'll keep the mosquitos off of me until I can see well enough to take them out (providing they don't pop on their own).

Where do you find whales? Where do you get blubber?

There are Suspicious Bubbles out in the waves every now and again. Follow those long enough and you'll find a Blue Whale. I haven't gone after one yet, but I imagine it probably drops Blubber (though I may be mistaken)

Can the trawler net only be used once or is there a way to get it back once you open it?

What does wind do?

If your base get's submerged what happens? Does it destroy buildings?

The net can only be used once after snagging something as far as I can tell. Bear in mind that the items it can retrieve change depending on the depth of water you're trawling in.

Wind blows around loose inventory items and can dislodge/harvest items from harvestable plants. It's imperative that you keep your belongings in packs or chests near your camp, or you'll have to chase your stuff around during the Wet season. It will also blow out a typical fire, so be sure to build a Chiminea before it gets windy.

Water will put out a Campfire and raise your wetness in a jiffy, but other than that I haven't noticed it doing anything. Mind the floods during the Green season, for they'll spawn Poison Mosquitos.

Has anyone else had any issue with finding islands.

The starting island is always in roughly the center of the map, so traveling out from there in any direction should land you somewhere before you get too far out. Be sure to keep an eye on the minimap for changes in the water depth (indicated by different shades of blue in the water). Islands are always surrounded by shallow water, which is in turn surrounded by medium-depth water then deep water around that. Sailing around the boundaries of medium and deep water is a reliable way to discover the bounds of where all the islands will be.

Is anyone know how to farm empty bottle? So far I only found two, one from the fish net and another one floating on ocean.

You can get them in Trawler Nets quite often, or from Message in a Bottle. Most of mine actually came from the buried treasures those messages led me to. As I understand it, there will always be a message bottle somewhere, and I think it'll show up on the minimap if the spot is already revealed... I could have the wrong idea, though.

How do you get gears for fridges?

The only reliable way to get them is to defeat the clockwork around the teleportato base, if you happen to find it. I've also dug them up in buried treasure chests.

Oh wow, many questions, not many answers. I've got my work cut out for me. I'll try to only answer questions that haven't been answered yet. I haven't answered every question, but at least it's a start...

Captain Hat doubles the durability of your boat. I don't know if this applies to the gradual degradation from using it or if it's only a combat thing.

Pirate Hat has the same dapperness as Tam o' Shanter, making it a sanity recovery item. It also protects you from lightning strikes.

You can equip lanterns to your boat, or you can hold onto a Torch or something if you have a sail. On the other hand, way out in the ocean you'll find some bioluminescent plankton on the surface, which give you a safe spot where you can park overnight.

I once blasted a Dogfish while attempting to fight some Clockwork, but I don't know the appropriate way to catch one.

Poison to player characters lasts until you cure it with Anti Venom. Non-players will automatically cure themselves after a minute or two.

Reefs are rather numerous in the space between islands. You can mine them with a Pickaxe.

While I just dodge and counterattack personally, I have found it to be particularly useful to keep Packim Baggims nearby as a decoy. Even at night, he'll keep the mosquitos off of me until I can see well enough to take them out (providing they don't pop on their own).

There are Suspicious Bubbles out in the waves every now and again. Follow those long enough and you'll find a Blue Whale. I haven't gone after one yet, but I imagine it probably drops Blubber (though I may be mistaken)

The net can only be used once after snagging something as far as I can tell. Bear in mind that the items it can retrieve change depending on the depth of water you're trawling in.

Wind blows around loose inventory items and can dislodge/harvest items from harvestable plants. It's imperative that you keep your belongings in packs or chests near your camp, or you'll have to chase your stuff around during the Wet season. It will also blow out a typical fire, so be sure to build a Chiminea before it gets windy.

Water will put out a Campfire and raise your wetness in a jiffy, but other than that I haven't noticed it doing anything. Mind the floods during the Green season, for they'll spawn Poison Mosquitos.

The starting island is always in roughly the center of the map, so traveling out from there in any direction should land you somewhere before you get too far out. Be sure to keep an eye on the minimap for changes in the water depth (indicated by different shades of blue in the water). Islands are always surrounded by shallow water, which is in turn surrounded by medium-depth water then deep water around that. Sailing around the boundaries of medium and deep water is a reliable way to discover the bounds of where all the islands will be.

You can get them in Trawler Nets quite often, or from Message in a Bottle. Most of mine actually came from the buried treasures those messages led me to. As I understand it, there will always be a message bottle somewhere, and I think it'll show up on the minimap if the spot is already revealed... I could have the wrong idea, though.

The only reliable way to get them is to defeat the clockwork around the teleportato base, if you happen to find it. I've also dug them up in buried treasure chests.

By chance, would you happen to know what Snake Oil is, or does? 

By chance, would you happen to know what Snake Oil is, or does? 

A quick look in the data files indicates that it doesn't currently do anything. However, it's got configurations for both a fuel source and a poison healer, but it has a fuel value of zero and the healing property is set to false. It's probably an unfinished item.

Archived