Suggestion: Hunger Improvments

I have been enjoying the game so far.

One of the things I have noticed is after about day 10 food becomes a non-issue.

Three improvements on that would be:

1. you use up more hunger for certain activities, for exampled mining and cutting down trees would make you more hungry then just picking up items off the ground.

2. Food Spoils after a few days. I know on my character that got to 100+ days I had 50+ honey, 100+ berry's and a mix in match of other items.

3. Your character gets tired of the food they are having. Eating the same thing over and over again would make your character want to eat something else.

i don't like 1 (because starting off would be much harder than it already is (i doubt i'd be able to make it to day 2)) or 3 (because if you were in the middle of nowhere, with monsters all around you, and no clue of how you got there/what was going on, i doubt you would care about eating the same food again and again)

However #2 is a pretty good idea, but food lasts a pretty long time, so i doubt it would really affect people (also honey does't expire, it has so much sugar that it kills most types of bacteria and mold can't grow in it)

Edited by CaptKnuckles

#2 sounds pretty good.

other two..meh. As CptKnuckles said, #1 would make the game TOO hard early, and #3 is just unlogical. I mean, youre ona deserted Island, its not like you *should* have a choice in what to eat. the character cant be picky about that.

The problem with decaying food, as pointed out by one of the Dev's, is that say you had a full inventory with a stack of berries. When one of the berries began to decay, it would have to move from the 'healthy' berry pile to another 'decayed' berry pile. But, if you didn't have an empty space in your inventory, the decayed berry would have nowhere to go, unless it just fell on the ground. But then you would have a rather annoying trail of decay. You would also have the problem of giving a use for the decayed berries, because you would need some way of disposing them otherwise you would end up with stacks upon stacks of gone off food that you could do nothing about.

#1 would make sense, but I agree it may tune the early-game harder unnecessary. However, I think we should wait for the new Research first, because depending on the difficulty scale of how Researches being done, Hunger may continue to be a secondary concern, switch up to priority. There needs a balance between foraging for food, gearing for defense, and improvement (in-session).

#2 is heavily discussed. Personally I like the sound of it.

#3 is a nice little "Diet System", but I think rather than out-right unable to eat similar food, the penalty should be lesser hunger filled for the same source of food (possibly lesser health regen, or unable to regen from that food source). I'm 50/50 with this.

The problem with decaying food, as pointed out by one of the Dev's, is that say you had a full inventory with a stack of berries. When one of the berries began to decay, it would have to move from the 'healthy' berry pile to another 'decayed' berry pile. But, if you didn't have an empty space in your inventory, the decayed berry would have nowhere to go, unless it just fell on the ground. But then you would have a rather annoying trail of decay. You would also have the problem of giving a use for the decayed berries, because you would need some way of disposing them otherwise you would end up with stacks upon stacks of gone off food that you could do nothing about.

You can fix this problem very easily with some kind of bin slot. Every time an item is forced in your inventory but you don't have more space (like with decaying) it's being put in the bin, which can function as an extra item slot with a bin logo on it. The next time something is being put in the bin, it overwrites the previous item automatically, thus keeping everything around you clean. Our parents taught us not to throw stuff on the ground, right?

1.Would make sense,but

When one uses pigs , the pigs dont consume.

So,One does simply not starve when mining/chopping,unless pigs are nerfed and require tools and constant feeding(Having their own hunger system)

2.Sure.Count me in.

Well..But..I certainly think some food should decay faster.And even faster when its on ground.

So if you simply drop a piece of meat on groud,it would decay faster than normaly in chest.

3.Why not..

Except that would make tallbirds even more better choice/Cause eggs restore lot of HP and they drop two kinds of food,

An egg and bacon.

I think that number three could have some different features included with it, instead of your character asking for a different food the amount of health and hunger that the food fills could be reduced if the player eats too much of a certain type of food.

One sounds like a good idea so long as only a little is removed so you aren't instantly starving from a few minutes of mining,digging or chopping.

Two I really like because what if you could use it as a sort of add-on to the winter hat. You could shovel up snow piles, which could be added in also, and use the snow/ice in a stone cooler which would prevent the food from decaying ever.

Three doesn't sound too good.

Edited by leetsleet

I have been enjoying the game so far.

One of the things I have noticed is after about day 10 food becomes a non-issue.

Three improvements on that would be:

1. you use up more hunger for certain activities, for exampled mining and cutting down trees would make you more hungry then just picking up items off the ground.

2. Food Spoils after a few days. I know on my character that got to 100+ days I had 50+ honey, 100+ berry's and a mix in match of other items.

3. Your character gets tired of the food they are having. Eating the same thing over and over again would make your character want to eat something else.

1. Add "running/moving" to that list.

2. The problem here is a pratical/technical one. It's messy for the programmers to add spoilage to the game and it will make the game slower/laggy. So the mechaninism has to be simplified in some way. A solution could be to make a complete stack decayable without having different decay rates per item in one stack. For example the complete stack decays with a certain rate (for meat/morsels) e.g. with a decay rate of 1item/day or 1item/2days. If you pick up an item on the ground with a "newer" decay rate, this decay rate is nullified when it's added to the "older" stack.

I think that number three could have some different features included with it, instead of your character asking for a different food the amount of health and hunger that the food fills could be reduced if the player eats too much of a certain type of food.

I have thought of some kind of system as well to make it matter what kind of food you eat. Eating certain foods will affect Wilson's psyche, giving him buffs and debuffs alike. For example for eating raw meat, vegetables, cooked foods and flower petal/seeds.

-Raw meat: make Wilson go into Instinct-mode

-Vegetables: make Wilson go into Tranquil-mode

-Cooked foods: make Wilson go into Comfort-mode

-Flower petal/seeds: make Wilson go into Intelligent-mode

-Other foods/combinations: ?????

You could also make Raw meat give you less food/health when in Instict mode, make Vegetables give you less food/health in Tranquil-mode, etc, etc, to discourage eating the same thing over and over.

For the old ideas about this system see this link (haven't updated it since):

[ideas] Hidden Emotion-meter

Kind regards, Karisuto

I like these ideas. However it would be nice to see them balanced.

1. Becoming more hungry for doing physical work, makes sense. Though the beginning would get hard, so perhaps the first few trees, or rocks mined wouldn't have any effect. As we all feel just fine doing the first bit of physical labour, it's after awhile you feel the strains. So if it were implemented like that, the beginning would be fine so long as you didn't try to chop a forest down or mine a rock field on day 2.

2. Food Spoiling is an excellent idea, as we know food doesn't keep forever. My thought on this, rather than it becoming completely unusable would be a slow degrading health/hunger ratio that each piece of food has. Possibly becoming about as useful as flower petals to eat in X amount of days. (I mean who wants to eat a three month old butter muffin?) That way nothing needs a new pile to stack in either.

3. Your character getting tired of the same foods could work in a similar way as number 2. Having the same thing over and over never feels satisfying as eating something you're craving, so perhaps after X amount of things eaten it doesn't sate your hunger as well. The health bit should remain stable, as we all know health food sucks when you're craving a donut, but it's always better than a donut for your health.

Savvy. =)

actually i change my comment about #3. It turns out that things like dogs and cats and stuff can continue to eat the same thing forever. but the same can't be said for humans. we can't eat the same thing again and again repeatedly. In fact the only thing we can eat forever is Human Breast Milk.