Bee Honeycomb Drop Idea

I've kind of noticed something about beehives, once they are destroyed, there isn't exactly a way of getting them back, aside creating a bee box right? Well, what if hounds nearby the set fire to the hives burn them down? I kind of had this happen to me, Red Hound caught fire on death, set a beehive on fire, and the only way I can think of being able to restore a beehive is by making a bee box, however, don't we need 1 honey comb as well to make a bee box?Point is, to suggest, that bees can have a rare drop of honey combs when killing them, that way if something happens to their hives, there is a way to fix it again without killing off the bee ecosystem. I know it can sound weird to suggest bees drop honey combs, but not every map has a lot of beehives, mine currently only has 3, well 2 because of the incident, but anyways, bees can respawn, beehives, cannot, not without honey combs anyways, and those are somewhat hard to come by, and I'd be in a bit of a pickle, so-to speak if I needed honey but all the beehives to collect the honeycombs somehow got messed up. I figured, why not have bees drop honey combs on rare occasions when killed since in reality bees are the ones that can create it as well via secreting wax while they pollinate and whatnotI totally bypassed suggesting Beehive respawing because I figured it would be too OP and I quite enjoy buiding things like bee boxes but rather, have the bees drop honeycombs, and to make it more balanced or challenging, make the drop rate a little more rare than honey when killed.So yeah, theres my suggestion, questions, comments?

It's a good idea to have backup of honeycombs as Red Hounds are really pain in the ass.I think it will be great idea to build a new "house" for bees out of wood, twigs, grass and honey so bees get attracted to that house and reproduce making a new beehive after a while. Then you will be able to have honeycombs again.

Perhaps instead of dropping honeycombs, they could drop a fragment of a honeycomb or something. This would kind of make more sense than a bee carrying an entire honeycomb, and the drop could be made less rare than what you were suggesting. The player would need to collect, say, 4 fragments to create a honeycomb, or could just bypass making a honeycomb and use the 4 fragments to make the beebox straight away.

Perhaps instead of dropping honeycombs, they could drop a fragment of a honeycomb or something. This would kind of make more sense than a bee carrying an entire honeycomb, and the drop could be made less rare than what you were suggesting. The player would need to collect, say, 4 fragments to create a honeycomb, or could just bypass making a honeycomb and use the 4 fragments to make the beebox straight away.

I still suggest using honey as well, but the fragment idea sounds somewhat interesting, perhaps or or 3 to make a comb rather than 4, honeycombs do take a while to be made from bees anyways, and honey is still needed to have a proper beehive, otherwise its just bee houses without any production.And as far as "fighting" as others commented on, it's not like I intentionally go after hounds, they come after me, and if I manage to outrun them when they stop to bark, they go for the next closest appealing thing, which the closest thing was a beehive and some bees, second to that was a spider nest. I still say the honeycomb/honeycomb fragment drop idea is something worth thinking about for the future, once all the hives are gone, how else can one make honey, or use it for a crockpot with other ingredients to make higher health and hunger restoration foods?

bees can have a rare drop of honey combs when killing them

I highly disagree with this.My reason is that, In my world i have found 3 behives (and there might be more) so I currently have 3 beeboxes and every time I harvest honey bees come out, I kill them, their friends come, I kill them getting me 7+ honey. Then I harvest the next one, in total i get around 21 honey and 20 stingers. and in between harvesting I get so annoyed by the sound of them that i kill 30 more before i harvest again.This is alot of bees, I would probably get 2 honeycombs every time this happens.After that my honey/stinger/honeycomb production will almost double.p.s. I have no idea why i felt the need to mention my honey/stinger production the point is i'm constantly killing 50 bees Edited by ManagerOfWar

I highly disagree with this.My reason is that, In my world i have found 3 behives (and there might be more) so I currently have 3 beeboxes and every time I harvest honey bees come out, I kill them, their friends come, I kill them getting me 7+ honey. Then I harvest the next one, in total i get around 21 honey and 20 stingers. and in between harvesting I get so annoyed by the sound of them that i kill 30 more before i harvest again.This is alot of bees, I would probably get 2 honeycombs every time this happens.After that my honey/stinger/honeycomb production will almost double.

Not every map has a vast amount of beehives, ergo my idea of the honey comb drop. Once you have your own beebox, everything is peachy and you don't have to worry about honey collection, which I understand, however, if the beehives end up being destroyed by other means, there isn't much of a way to get those beehives back without their honeycombs, and if those disappear, then basically your up a creek without a paddle.As far as bee killing, it would have to be a low drop rate for a honey comb, lower than honey, maybe 10%? If your going to sit there all day and do nothing but kill bees, yeah I can understand it will be a lot of drops, but I wasn't thinking for the bee grinders of "Don't Starve" I was thinking for the ones that enjoy doing a little bit of everything, taking their time to do things rather than rush in to do everything in one go or to sit there and grind at only one thing for weeks on end.

Not every map has a vast amount of beehives, ergo my idea of the honey comb drop. Once you have your own beebox, everything is peachy and you don't have to worry about honey collection, which I understand, however, if the beehives end up being destroyed by other means, there isn't much of a way to get those beehives back without their honeycombs, and if those disappear, then basically your up a creek without a paddle.As far as bee killing, it would have to be a low drop rate for a honey comb, lower than honey, maybe 10%? If your going to sit there all day and do nothing but kill bees, yeah I can understand it will be a lot of drops, but I wasn't thinking for the bee grinders of "Don't Starve" I was thinking for the ones that enjoy doing a little bit of everything, taking their time to do things rather than rush in to do everything in one go or to sit there and grind at only one thing for weeks on end.

I don't grind them that's just a normal day in Don't Starve for me.If I was grinding them I would triple my production

I don't grind them that's just a normal day in Don't Starve for me.If I was grinding them I would triple my production

Even if it was just a normal day to harvest a lot of bees, as you noted before, would it really be that much hassle to get a honey comb out of all the honey and stingers you seem to manage to acquire quite quickly? If you really disliked not getting one of every 20 stingers and honey, which I find a bit grinding because the drop rate of honey is about 16% but thats just me, then toss it in the machine for research. One honecomb out of 40 other items isn't going to kill your day.

hmm, i dont think they should make the bees drop more.. I think the easiest solution would be, to just increas the spawning of bee hives when generating the world, then the red hounds cant burn all of then plus it wont be too OP

As much as I would like to replace any lost beehives, I think bees dropping honeycomb might be too OP, as you could just grind bees and make a load of beehives. Also, the game is meant to be a difficult survival game and something like losing your only source of honey would force you to change your tactics, and I think that's the effect the devs are going for.

As much as I would like to replace any lost beehives, I think bees dropping honeycomb might be too OP, as you could just grind bees and make a load of beehives. Also, the game is meant to be a difficult survival game and something like losing your only source of honey would force you to change your tactics, and I think that's the effect the devs are going for.

Thing is darkice5005, you can't get beehives back just by grinding bees, they don't currently drop the honeycombs needed to make the loads of bee boxes, as far as my knowledge goes, you talked about, and thats where my idea to have them drop said honey combs came in, and to further the idea so its not OP, make it a smaller drop rate than honey.As for spawing more beehives when the world generates as the prior poster noted before, I find that a bit too OP because its all done for you, rather than having to create the beeboxes on your own.

This topic comes up quite often, what happens if all beehives are gone? Also honey, bee mines, the stingers even the killer bees all are pretty good items or can be used to create really good items (the killer bees need to be handled with care but even them can be used to kill tuff enemys without mutch effort or risk if you have a beekeeperhat).Well so its pretty mutch not helping the game to add more beehives just for the reason those all could be destroyed somehow, or a infinite production of honeycombs which would even be worse.So I would say every world has only 1 hive somewhere around the starting area, you can loot that hives bees or destroy it to aquire a honeycomb and build a own personal box to farm at a prefered location. But what if that one gets destroyed or the honeycomb get lost or whatever. Let me tell a solution.There is always only 1 hive, bee box or honeycomb on the entire map. If this one honeycomb gets destroyed a queen bee will hover around the map and either if it is going to get killed will drop a honeycomb or it will settle around some grassland location and a new hive is created. Few honey bees would go along with her, so you can catch them if you intend to kill the queen bee to get the honeycomb and build a own hive. That way no matter what happens there will always be the possiblity to have honey and bees but only one at a time cause the bee hives/ boxes have great advantages. Plus a new not frequent and bosslike mob could leave more options open for later additions.

There is always only 1 hive, bee box or honeycomb on the entire map. If this one honeycomb gets destroyed a queen bee will hover around the map and either if it is going to get killed will drop a honeycomb or it will settle around some grassland location and a new hive is created. Few honey bees would go along with her, so you can catch them if you intend to kill the queen bee to get the honeycomb and build a own hive. That way no matter what happens there will always be the possiblity to have honey and bees but only one at a time cause the bee hives/ boxes have great advantages. Plus a new not frequent and bosslike mob could leave more options open for later additions.

I also like the concept of a queen bee being a possible source for a honey comb. My only isssue is that if this queen bee spawn rate. I wouldn't want to re-spawn as frequently as its soldier or worker bees (self evident point out so its not OP, however it would still need to be pointed out because not everything is obvious to others) The way I see it, the more hives that are spawned in the map automatically, the the more time for a queen bee to spawn. Kind of like, if there are a fair few amount of beehives on the map, a queen will be less likely to appear, wouldn't be too much need for a queen with so many hives around, however, if the hives somehow got destroyed or a map with less beehives generates, a Queen bee may arrive Sooner than later, almost like a trigger of sorts. Say like, your down to one or two beehives, and the moment this happens, the spawn rate of a queen bee will rise, but if there are say, 6-9 beehives already generated, Queenie wouldn't much need to budge because of the number of beehives still thriving

Thing is darkice5005, you can't get beehives back just by grinding bees, they don't currently drop the honeycombs needed to make the loads of bee boxes, as far as my knowledge goes, you talked about, and thats where my idea to have them drop said honey combs came in, and to further the idea so its not OP, make it a smaller drop rate than honey.As for spawing more beehives when the world generates as the prior poster noted before, I find that a bit too OP because its all done for you, rather than having to create the beeboxes on your own.

My point was that if you make bees drop honeycomb THEN you could grind bees, not that you can now, and I personally feel that bees dropping ANY honeycomb is OP, as the player can then make infinite beeboxes so long as they have the patience to kill however many bees.

My point was that if you make bees drop honeycomb THEN you could grind bees, not that you can now, and I personally feel that bees dropping ANY honeycomb is OP, as the player can then make infinite beeboxes so long as they have the patience to kill however many bees.

My point as well, as I stated before, you can grind bees anytime of day with the bee hives as is, but once they are gone, they are gone, as far as being OP, once again I noted, the drop rate would be lower than honey, or even perhaps in fragments to make it less OP, heck, even the queen bee idea someone noted earlier sounded great as well

The queen bee idea sounds like the easiest way to avoid complete bee extinction, while also preventing players from abusing other possible mechanics to mass-produce bee boxes.On a side note there was another suggestion thread about dealing with bee box abuse, namely by adding in a new creature, the bear. The bear would spawn in forest/grassy glade biomes and locate the nearest hive or bee box in search of honey, with the same being true for berry bushes. It would then eat its fill and wander off, but attack the player if they got too close to it.

Frankly the bear idea seems interesting enough, however I'd still want the concept of honey combs to be dropped. Bears naturally, when they tear into a beehive and eat their fill, they use their claws to rip hives apart, rendering the hives useless and empty, as if nothing but a shell was left, how would one be able to recreate a new bee box if there's nothing but remains of a shell left after a bear ravages a beehive? I still like the idea of a bear being brought in, or a queen bee, or any other type of mob to help the bee population to be more of a challenge or be more of use, just need a more efficient way to collect honey combs without having to be forced to take down a beehive, perhaps maybe the bear, if fought after tearing into a beehive could drop a honey comb on rare occasions? They don't have to be a high number of drop rates, as I've noted time and time again to avoid abuse, just at least enough to avoid the bee extinction forever in the map, which would include avoiding the extinction risk of red hounds when they veer off and burn everything they touch when they die and the chance to harvest a beehive is out the window when a beehive catches fire, even if your miles away to bring said hounds away from beehives, they don't always follow behind closely.I'm just looking for an efficient way to collect honey combs without having to destroy other beehives or their population.

The new Map Generator has a lot more beehives than the old circular island generator.

Show me an example of a new map generator completely explored with more beehives than the old circular one, I've tried it, and it seems the same to me.And yeah I'd still like to see some of the ideas mentioned here, queen bee, bear, honey comb drop with low drop rate, exc, occur, these are some really good ideas.